Dual monitor problem

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
My pc has two monitors attached to it. #2 is used to run Firefox for the register. #1 is for everything else.
My #1 started dimming then died. I can get to see it for a split second if I turn it off and back on again.
My problem now is anything I try to open to switch which monitor acts as number 1 opens on the dark monitor so I can’t change anything.

I tried switching cables but they run thru different adapters so I get an error message about wrong device type

Suggestions?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My pc has two monitors attached to it. #2 is used to run Firefox for the register. #1 is for everything else.
My #1 started dimming then died. I can get to see it for a split second if I turn it off and back on again.
My problem now is anything I try to open to switch which monitor acts as number 1 opens on the dark monitor so I can’t change anything.

I tried switching cables but they run thru different adapters so I get an error message about wrong device type

Suggestions?
Kind of confused on the 3rd sentence, but if one is dead, just unplug it completely from your computer and it'll automatically just switch to using 1 monitor again until you get a replacement.

Alternatively, if you hold Shift and right-click on the app in your taskbar, you can select 'Move'. This snaps your mouse to the window, then single click and drag to the other monitor.

1611597027250.png

Also, adapters suck. Always best to use the correct cable to correct monitor port. Even some converter cables only work one direction.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
as a short term solution - look at windows workspaces (virtual desktops)
you can have your POS on one desktop, then hot-key over to the other,
so they don't get cluttered.

iman29

Completely disconnect the failed monitor and reboot.
This.

Your windows display setup is configured for 2 monitors but if one is not online all the apps will move to the one that is on after a reboot.

And yes those adapter things fail all the time better to have proper VGA or HDMI cable.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
problem solved on monday, the functioning solution posted again two more times on tuesday 🤔
the best course of action not posted till wed . . . . something is wrong here

Top Bottom