Dual Engagement Chain ?

one piece crank

A friend sent me this link. I’m still digesting their claims, and wondering, just how much ‘theoretical’ wear until it engages just like a roller chain?

39079870-6835-4EB9-9269-E62D5DDC59A4.jpeg

What a great idea. Take one of the simplest and most efficient mechanisms and make it cost more, weigh more and be completely incompatible with everything out there.

Genius! :shrug:

I mean, it doesn't HAVE to be incompatible...but it probably will, since they are chasing--by their own admission--the 1-2%. You can't reap that kind of benefit without designing the entire system. It's kind of Shimano/Sram/Campagnolo's entire shtick...which makes the likelihood of any of them adopting it near zero.

Track people are probably the last to adopt anything, anyway. Historically, they had to have block chain ripped away from them, then skip-tooth (inch pinch), all the while bitching about how the next thing couldn't possibly deal with the MASSIVE POWER they could put out.

I think the 2% efficiency loss is what causes me to suck on a SS and on pedaling in general, so this and internal geared hub, I want now. And the cage pedals.

seriously though, I don’t understand how it would work, even though you have to pins clutching the chainring tooth the tooth is still pushing in one direction. Not to mention that you replace 1 roller with 3 rollers, or the two pins don’t have rollers? More wear then? Was this article published on April 1st?

Back
Top Bottom