DT hub conversion to ratchet

Karate Monkey

What’s old for a 350? Mine are an odd lot, 12x157 straight pull 18H center lock, 2018/2019 circa. Not the one from the spline wheel-set either (I do have one of those sets as a spare too).

Look at the drive ring. If you can see the outer diameter of the race completely, you don't need it. If you can juuust see the outer diameter of the race, you need the tool.

How big, you can get sockets for old-school square bolts

I dunno. Never needed to measure it since it wasn't important. 36mm? That's a popular size for bicycle stuff, for some reason.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
My Bronson came equipped with DT 370 hubs, and while they work well, I would like better engagement. My old Hopes were nice, but I really like the DT 350’s that are on my Farley. I saw a few videos on Uboob that show folk upgrading pawl style DT hubs to ratchet and was wondering if anyone has done this, or failed at attempting it. I would really like to improve my wheel without buying a new hub and relacing or 🔥 thanks

I've managed to get a hold of rear 350 hubs by buying damaged wheels. I simply ask if the hubs are straight and the flanges aren't damaged. Then pay them and tell them to just cut the spokes and send just the hub. The hubs have all been about 60 shipped fyi.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Look at the drive ring. If you can see the outer diameter of the race completely, you don't need it. If you can juuust see the outer diameter of the race, you need the tool.

I dunno. Never needed to measure it since it wasn't important. 36mm? That's a popular size for bicycle stuff, for some reason.
Isn't it called a vise?

Karate Monkey

Am I the only one that really likes EXP?

I am agnostic. It is a theoretically better design in every way, since you have to remove the drive ring to replace the bearings in the other hubs anyway.

I'm riding White Industries and Shimano (which is DT Swiss, anyway) currently. No opinion on the current stuff other than it's not in to be repaired as frequently as other people's stuff.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So... about a hundred for the kit
Another hundred for the engagement upgrade
Plus labor fees to LBS or cost of tools.
How much is a 350 rear hub?

If Frank has stock 350s on the Farley, this will feel the same with the ratchet that comes with it. Hub Overhaul is usually about $30 in labor vs 50-80 for a wheel build. Not to mention re-taping the rim and re-doing the tubeless stuff. And at that point spokes and nipples. Probably close to $500 as compared to $130. No brainer really.

ebarker9

I'd probably add in the cost of one of the higher tooth count ratchet sets as well. I'm of the opinion that the really high engagement hubs are mostly overrated, but the 18T feels like it takes an eternity to engage.

serviceguy

Needs a tool just the same, it's just another tool.
Also the same tool price, 'round $80!
I am agnostic. It is a theoretically better design in every way, since you have to remove the drive ring to replace the bearings in the other hubs anyway.

I'm riding White Industries and Shimano (which is DT Swiss, anyway) currently. No opinion on the current stuff other than it's not in to be repaired as frequently as other people's stuff.
The potential issue I see with the EXP is that while the surface contact between the two engaging rings is basically the same, the thickness of the two rings has now been considerably reduced in order to accomodate the bearing on the hub side and the spring on the drive side. Makes me wonder if someone with a very powerful stroke could crack the rings, but I'm also assuming DT Swiss making a few durability test before putting it on the market. I see that now it's available the 54T upgrade for the EXP as well.

Frank

Sasquatch
Update: I completed the conversation yesterday! A strong vise and bench are required for this task, but it can be done. I ended up eBay-ing all the parts needed minus the free hub body which I amazoned due to being so busy I can’t think straight. Total investment including tools was $150.00. Tools can be had cheaply, you don’t need DT brand. I bought the 36 tooth kit for $30.00 and the ring, spacer, and washer for a few bucks each.
initial ride was amazing, what a difference! I have a DT 350 on my fatty but really felt a huge difference on my Bronson. Well worth the effort.

Top Bottom