DSD Runt - Who's running with it?

TommyF

Contemplating putting the Runt in my 36 to see if I can get just a little more small bump compliance with good mid support. Anybody running one, if so what's your take on it? This will be for my Switchblade, the 34 on my Tallboy seems so much better on small bumps and support, so not going to touch that any time soon.

I have one on my old Fox 34 on my 2017 Tallboy.

It helped but honestly I feel my (older) 34 still feels like crap. Horrible on small bumps at speed. Was worth it but if I had to do it again I'd consider a different fork.

Have you tried lower pressure and more spacers?

I installed one halfway through last season, in my Fox 36 with the Grip damper. Overall it makes the fork feel better and it allows me to run much lower PSI for small bump sensitivity BUT without sacrificing support. In addition, I had my 8 month old fork serviced and that made a surprisingly and very noticeable difference in performance. Having a brand new fork serviced is not BS, it just proves how piss poor Fox’s QC department or QC standards actually are.

I would definitely recommend the Runt and I have my fork performing decently and better than when new shape now. My biggest complaint by far is the square hit performance…it slightly better now but out of the 3 recently owned Fox/Marzocchi forks they absolutely suck at square hits.

Additionally it will take some time to properly bracket the Runts settings for best performance…

I have one on my old Fox 34 on my 2017 Tallboy.

It helped but honestly I feel my (older) 34 still feels like crap. Horrible on small bumps at speed. Was worth it but if I had to do it again I'd consider a different fork.

Have you tried lower pressure and more spacers?
So my Tallboy's 34 with the grip2 damper rides good, running 1 spacer at 90lbs. If I add spacers to the 36 and set sag, the small bump compliance improves but the overall performance suffers, it gets slightly harsh in rough terrain.

I installed one halfway through last season, in my Fox 36 with the Grip damper. Overall it makes the fork feel better and it allows me to run much lower PSI for small bump sensitivity BUT without sacrificing support. In addition, I had my 8 month old fork serviced and that made a surprisingly and very noticeable difference in performance. Having a brand new fork serviced is not BS, it just proves how piss poor Fox’s QC department or QC standards actually are.

I would definitely recommend the Runt and I have my fork performing decently and better than when new shape now. My biggest complaint by far is the square hit performance…it slightly better now but out of the 3 recently owned Fox/Marzocchi forks they absolutely suck at square hits.

Additionally it will take some time to properly bracket the Runts settings for best performance…
Just had the damper serviced, so now I'm looking at the air spring for improvement. Probably going to bite the bullet and order it. What did you wind up at as far as ratios with the high and low pressures, 2x on the high or... ???

Pre Runt
90 PSI 7 rebound/zero spacers

Runt
74/148 8 rebound

So I am exactly at 2:1 ratio…I played with all different combinations and it has been the best so far. I found instead of changing the ratio, lower the low PSI chamber to get the small bump sensitivity and support you are looking for.

DSD recommends as subtracting 10. PSI from your current fork setting. I went lower because it was too supportive at 80/160.

At 74/148 it’s far more supportive than me running without spacers at 90 PSI. Practically no more diving and I run compression wide open.

Back
Top Bottom