Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

Do a dry January then. Or just take 30 days off. It's small commitment really, and the overall improvement is pretty eye opening.
This is sooo true. I have done Dry January for the last five years. Some years dry January lasts until Easter for me. Taking that time off really changed my thoughts on alcohol as well as the things that are attached to it in my life. While in no way do I completely abstain throughout the year, the side effects of taking a month off have at minimum done the following:

- Led me to more productive paths in my downtime
- Made me take a step back and see who I am drinking around and the affect it may have on them both immediately and down the road
- Become a better role model for the young ones in my family - in fact I try to abstain from booze at family events now. I may be the only one there doing so but I think it is important
- Led me to healthy ways to vent frustration/exhaustion/boredom
- Saved me a ton of money
- Made me realize I am enabling others that truly have a problem

These are just some of the positives - but the joy I get from feeling better vs. a hangover/slow morning is a million times better than what the booze gave me. If I do drink it usually stops at two beers now.

the joy I get from feeling better vs. a hangover/slow morning is a million times better than what the booze gave me. If I do drink it usually stops at two beers now.
Same here. Aside from the social aspect, having a drink made me feel "good" for maybe 15-20 minutes, if that. And then it would fade, and I'd have to have another drink to bring that feeling back. But the good feeling was always very temporary and was always followed by a not good feeling that lasted way, way longer. Even if I wasn't hungover I could completely feel it into the next day. And while the "good" feeling was completely artificial, the not good feeling was very real.

Quite the slippery slope that booze is.

Dry January started late for me - scheduled vacation 1/5->1/17.
I did take that opportunity to quit beer on 1/5.
So it has been a little over a week for 0, and the changes are as dramatic as expected.
Resting heart rate is down 10bpm, body systems are starting to come back to normal,
general feeling better, losing weight. Sleep is in/out. some nights full on out, other nights up for a couple hours.
no w/d symptoms - maybe cause it was more of a taper, than hard stop?

Reeling it back to zero helps in so many ways.
Thank you all for the support.

This might be informative.

The pandemic has really made me sensitive to all the Google scientists and other BS mongers out there, and his fundamental premise that alcohol is 100% toxic is flat out wrong. Actual science does not support this, and there are studies that show the opposite, that there are benefits to controlled and moderate drinking. Key word here is moderate, anything in excess is bad.

Being 100% clean for many is about what it was doing to their (and their orbit's) lives, not their physical bodies.

I've exercised nearly every day this month starting between 5am-6am. I definitely could not do this if I had my one a day (M-F)

BTW my google scientist says moderate drinking is 2 or 1 a day. That does not sound moderate to me!

It's just easier to abstain. No thinking about it. No regretting. No feeling that did nothing for me. No money.

Mrs. has a hard time waking up every day while I hustle the lunches, breakfast, and one kid to the stop. AND I just want to say... stop having your one a day but you know where that will get me.

The pandemic has really made me sensitive to all the Google scientists and other BS mongers out there, and his fundamental premise that alcohol is 100% toxic is flat out wrong. Actual science does not support this, and there are studies that show the opposite, that there are benefits to controlled and moderate drinking. Key word here is moderate, anything in excess is bad.
Show me the studies

Last edited:
Water is not toxic, but you can die drinking too much water.

The key is controlled drinking or moderate drinking. BUT, If you have to control your drinking is probably out of control.

At least for me, if I start I don't stop.

Being 100% clean for many is about what it was doing to their (and their orbit's) lives, not their physical bodies.
That isn't what's in question here, its this guy using bullshit science. Using what you stated would be a much better and more relatable approach to promote moderation or abstention vs. lying.

Show me the studies
Go find them yourself, its not that hard. I don't give a fuck whether you believe me or not. Your approval means shit to me.

find them yourself, its not that hard. I don't give a fuck whether you believe me or not. Your approval means shit to me.
What’s with the attitude? Everyone in this thread is just trying to better their lives. Who the fuck are you to come into a thread where people are legitimately struggling with alcohol and trying to support one another just be a fucking asshole. I just spent 6 nights in the emergency room with acute alcohol induced pancreatitis so I’m gonna go ahead and strongly disagree with your argument that alcohol is not a toxin. I’m glad that you don’t have issues with alcohol because I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy but maybe you should leave this thread to those of us that need it.

What’s with the attitude? Everyone in this thread is just trying to better their lives. Who the fuck are you to come into a thread where people are legitimately struggling with alcohol and trying to support one another just be a fucking asshole. I just spent 6 nights in the emergency room with acute alcohol induced pancreatitis so I’m gonna go ahead and strongly disagree with your argument that alcohol is not a toxin. I’m glad that you don’t have issues with alcohol because I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy but maybe you should leave this thread to those of us that need it.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you, I sincerely hope you get well soon, and didn't come in here to start shit. I've had relatives die from alcoholism and I don't dispute that it can be addictive and when used in excess and destroy lives, but that guy is wrong. You don't need to lie to justify sobriety and issues with addiction. I deal with toxicity of chemicals all day long, its part of my job. Many things are toxic when they reach a level where the risks outweigh the benefits. I'll leave this thread to you.

Congrats to everyone that made, or even tried dry January.
It is eye-opening to realize what effects alc has on the body and mind.

Check out my resting HR. See if you can spot the day I stopped.....
(i'm not sure the s/w is good at removing zeros...gotta charge the watch about 1x per week.)

1706883913513.png

dude hang tough you got this! get well soon and keep at it. also rooting for you too.

Back
Top Bottom