Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

Name a popular sport that doesn’t have a drinking problem. There may be a few but it’s not the sport, it’s the people.
Agreed. Outdoor sports particularly, Skiing/snowboarding for sure, whitewater paddling as well.
But then go look at anyone
I feel like I have seen it particularly bad in mountain towns, wife's cousin moved to Sun Valley ID, and it's ingrained in the culture, so much drinking. Same with a friend (who does not indulge in anything) who lives in Jackson WY, when we hung with their local friends.

European Cyclocross? 😆
Lol, right.

Think about it. Every single sport has some drinking culture associated with it. If not drinking by the participants, the fans are definitely targeted.

Agreed. Outdoor sports particularly, Skiing/snowboarding for sure, whitewater paddling as well.
But then go look at anyone
I feel like I have seen it particularly bad in mountain towns, wife's cousin moved to Sun Valley ID, and it's ingrained in the culture, so much drinking. Same with a friend (who does not indulge in anything) who lives in Jackson WY, when we hung with their local friends.

90% of the crowd is on vacation?
I couldn't imagine being young and living there....well i could, but damn.

Reactions: Ejd
Lol, right.

Think about it. Every single sport has some drinking culture associated with it. If not drinking by the participants, the fans are definitely targeted.
90% of the crowd is on vacation?
I have tried to quit so many times. I rarely get past 2 days. Last week my oldest and I were watching Hiw to catch a smuggler. I tried to explain to him the consequences drugs and what they were doing to the people. Throwing there lives away. He said “Daddy, why do you drink then?” He knows…alcohol is the same as heroin…is the same as weed…is the same as nicotine. Without these drugs big pharma wouldn’t be so big and cancer a non issue.

He said “Daddy, why do you drink then?”

Kids are armed with the same info about alc which we were taught about smoking.
Nice job on the conversation, and it must have been comfortable enough for him to bring it up.
Very "sobering" to know the kids notice.

On a personal note, i didn't think they really did, until my son called me out.
i can try to find my weight/activity change from 2011 on mapmyride....he was around 8yo.

I mean it wasn't like my parents smoking in the car with the windows rolled-up...but i guess it is.

Lol, right.

Even on the Last Dance Documentary, Jordan mentions when he was younger and the culture of the NBA at the time. He mentioned guys finishing a six pack after games.

I have tried to quit so many times. I rarely get past 2 days. Last week my oldest and I were watching Hiw to catch a smuggler. I tried to explain to him the consequences drugs and what they were doing to the people. Throwing there lives away. He said “Daddy, why do you drink then?” He knows…alcohol is the same as heroin…is the same as weed…is the same as nicotine. Without these drugs big pharma wouldn’t be so big and cancer a non issue.

If i had a legal document for transferring 10million dollars for three days no drinking liquor... bet you can do it!!

See you told yourself an untrue story😜😜

You’ve been saying this a lot. That’s good, not to be cliche but admitting you have a problem is the first step. You should get some support or start attending the meetings.

As a life-long non-drinker, I always found it interesting that many people do not think drinking is an issue, until it is. Meeting new people, I have been ask this question many times: Do you not drink because you had a problem or you just don't drink? What an odd freaking question and really shows you the mindset of "I will never be the one with the problem".

All that being said, I am not opposed to people drinking because it is pointless. It is so ingrained into culture, so for me reading an article like this, its like, um, no duh.

It's the only drug you have to justify refusing.

The common theme seems to be it's not a problem until it is. When you and your spouse are children of alcoholics it's always a problem. It hangs over my head like 100 tons of concrete waiting to fall. I seem to keep it in check, mostly. Then you find yourself downing a Dean Martin-sized Martini on a Tuesday night, and then Wednesday, well shit it's almost Friday so what the hell. It's a constant cycle (for some of us) of getting right to the edge and pulling back just enough to feel in control. I have to say that when I was really training (to race), it was the only time I did not drink consistently (it's been 10 years since then).

Around Thanksgiving, I started using an App to track my drinking. Number of drinks per day and total per week. Once I started to see it in writing (ok, on my iPhone screen), it struck me how much it is. Plus the App calculates what it costs, extra calories & impacted sleep. I wasn't trying to stop but get perspective, during the likeliest time to be drinking.

So now, with mindfulness, I set a goal each Sunday on how much I can drink. I've been pulling it back every week since Christmas. Will I get to zero? I don't know. But I think If I can get to one day, zero is just a short step. I will need help with my wine collection and fine spirits.

Hopefully, we have broken the cycle with our son. Well, maybe not so much us but I think him watching his grandmother drink herself to death and the aftermath left an indelible mark. I can't even say how happy I was when he struggled in his first semester at college because everyone was partying and he was going to the gym alone. He felt left out but has since found "his people" and maybe even moved one of his closest friends to the sober side.

alcohol is the same as heroin…is the same as weed…is the same as nicotine.
Man, don’t throw weed in with all that evil lol. Marijuana has virtually zero health related side effects. I mean obviously we don’t want kids getting stoned in school, driving, going to work, whatever; but there really aren’t any physical side effects unless you are super old school and still smoke paper. The medical benefits far outweigh the “high” aspect of it.

He knows…alcohol is the same as heroin…is the same as weed…is the same as nicotine. Without these drugs big pharma wouldn’t be so big and cancer a non issue.

Simply untrue. And cancer will always be an issue. Genetics, diet, sun exposure and lack of exercise all contribute to cancers.

Heroin >>> alcohol >> nicotine >> weed

Eleven days tonight.

- Sleep is back to being awesome
- One cup of coffee is more than enough
- Wallet is fatter

I had my work Xmas party last week, while I over indulged on food I was coffee/tea guy. Several people put the heavy peer pressure on, but I laughed it off. Had this been my first sober winter the peer pressure would have hit different, the current culture is definitely not with the “non drinker”

That being said I would be willing to punch myself in the crotch for a cheat of three IPA’s, a plate of wings and electrified music.

Simply untrue. And cancer will always be an issue. Genetics, diet, sun exposure and lack of exercise all contribute to cancers.

Heroin >>> alcohol >> nicotine >> weed
You should research the European dr from Texas that's cured cancer for 50 years but the government tried to bury him. People turning to dust from chemo damage etc.

Man, don’t throw weed in with all that evil lol. Marijuana has virtually zero health related side effects. I mean obviously we don’t want kids getting stoned in school, driving, going to work, whatever; but there really aren’t any physical side effects unless you are super old school and still smoke paper. The medical benefits far outweigh the “high” aspect of it.
Really? marijuana-and-lung-health

Only boomers smoke weed.

Stoney-Patch-350mg.jpg

Only boomers smoke weed.

Stoney-Patch-350mg.jpg
Mostly, This ^

But also, there is so much wrong with that article lol. Harvard was doing studies like 30 years ago that ended up showing moderate marijuana use actually improved lung function to some degree. And that was with people smoking joints.

Back
Top Bottom