Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

I feel like after Labor Day I’ll be going sober again. Until then I have kids and summer so yeah. I need to drink.
Same boat, definitely let it go over the summer it’s showing on the scalemostly because I really like summer ales. But now that there gone from shelves there aren’t too many sirens left in the
Still confused - you don't drink alcohol (which is a drug btw) to get into an "altered state", yet that is exactly what happens. Does not compute.

PS I wouldn't call relaxes an altered state. You need to try what's available now!
i enjoy the taste of beer, The objective is to enjoy the taste, sometimes the altered state is a by-product, but not the goal. if I could drink it without the altered state, bonus. I have yet to find a NA beer that I enjoy. I can also have A beer and still get other things done, I see smoking a joint being like… “okay, I’m done for day”, which I usually don’t want to do. There is a psychological thing to, having a beer is cue for me to relax, having 2 beers will relax me while I drink them but without buzzing me, but it’s more mental than chemical.

Same boat, definitely let it go over the summer it’s showing on the scalemostly because I really like summer ales. But now that there gone from shelves there aren’t too many sirens left in the

i enjoy the taste of beer, The objective is to enjoy the taste, sometimes the altered state is a by-product, but not the goal. if I could drink it without the altered state, bonus. I have yet to find a NA beer that I enjoy. I can also have A beer and still get other things done, I see smoking a joint being like… “okay, I’m done for day”, which I usually don’t want to do. There is a psychological thing to, having a beer is cue for me to relax, having 2 beers will relax me while I drink them but without buzzing me, but it’s more mental than chemical.

Yeah but who smokes joints anymore? I'd be flying. You can have one hit, two, three or more. Not like a beer - who drinks half a beer?

Just a suggestion - maybe you guys should try weed instead of booze?
In a thread dedicated to people trying to moderate and/or overcome something that has become somewhat detrimental in their lives - and to support others going through similar struggles - I find the suggestion naive at best and more than a bit condescending. Some people are trying to limit the side effects of alcohol (including but not limited to hangovers, weight gain, poor recovery, hospitalizations) and some are trying to limit what can be negative effects of being in altered states (many have spoken of drunken or stoned misdeeds and regrets). Both of those for me, thank you.

You are certainly welcome to imbibe in weed or alcohol, as is everyone else. Just a bit odd to proclaim it in this thread that's traveled for 36 pretty supportive pages.

As for me, tonight will be my first poker night with the boys post-pandemic and post-sobriety. I'm loading up on my NAs fully aware that as per usual, it will switch from poker night to bachelor party around 1am, as it always does. I'll still have a blast, I just won't be drunk or stoned.

Party on...

In a thread dedicated to people trying to moderate and/or overcome something that has become somewhat detrimental in their lives - and to support others going through similar struggles - I find the suggestion naive at best and more than a bit condescending. Some people are trying to limit the side effects of alcohol (including but not limited to hangovers, weight gain, poor recovery, hospitalizations) and some are trying to limit what can be negative effects of being in altered states (many have spoken of drunken or stoned misdeeds and regrets). Both of those for me, thank you.

You are certainly welcome to imbibe in weed or alcohol, as is everyone else. Just a bit odd to proclaim it in this thread that's traveled for 36 pretty supportive pages.

As for me, tonight will be my first poker night with the boys post-pandemic and post-sobriety. I'm loading up on my NAs fully aware that as per usual, it will switch from poker night to bachelor party around 1am, as it always does. I'll still have a blast, I just won't be drunk or stoned.

Party on...

Naive? Condescending? No, just a suggestion based on SCIENCE. Feel free to ignore and best of luck.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3992908/

"cannabis does appear to be a potential substitute for alcohol. Perhaps more importantly, cannabis is both safer and potentially less addictive than benzodiazepines and other pharmaceuticals that have been evaluated as substitutes for alcohol."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amanda...patients-who-use-cannabis-drink-less-alcohol/

"the study’s most interesting finding was that when patients had a deliberate intention to use medical cannabis to reduce their alcohol consumption, their odds of drinking less or ceasing drinking altogether were significantly higher."

For most of us, trading one substance for another even if it truly is the lesser of 2 evils is not a great plan. Weed has it's pitfalls too. I'm thankful I found endurance sports at that point and not another substance.

Anyway, hit 4 years last week...completely forgot to celebrate it in any way. Now that I'm out of the liquor industry it's so far in the rear view I don't even think about it anymore which is great.

Alcohol or weed is not the problem but the solution to a problem. Addiction should not be substituted with another solution, a drug is a drug is drug. It's impossible to explain this to someone who doesn't suffer from the problem.

On that note there has been great success in psychedelics under the care of trained administrators in helping with addiction and depression. Under no circumstances do I have experience, only what I have read extensively. Hell even Bill Wison experimented with LSD, lol.

As I mentioned before, if you are struggling my phone is always on.

Alcohol or weed is not the problem but the solution to a problem. Addiction should not be substituted with another solution, a drug is a drug is drug. It's impossible to explain this to someone who doesn't suffer from the problem.

On that note there has been great success in psychedelics under the care of trained administrators in helping with addiction and depression. Under no circumstances do I have experience, only what I have read extensively. Hell even Bill Wison experimented with LSD, lol.

As I mentioned before, if you are struggling my phone is always on.

Well said friend.

Just checking in and bringing this thread to the front. Is everyone ok, set, or whatever for the holidays? I myself will not be drinking. I'll try not to eat too much-at least too many carbs.
Good call. I usually stop drinking New Years Day until Easter, but started early this year. Handed the last beers to my neighbors the other day.

Been two weeks dry, sleep is back on track and nothing beats that first cup of coffee in the AM.

Anyone even trying dry January this year?

I cut back on the beer to a level that I don’t feel a need to completely abstain. But if anyone is in a rut and looking motivation, this is a good time.
I found that wearing a sleep tracker (Fitbit, garmin, whoop, some Apple Watch apps) show some eye opening information. A night with a few drinks negatively impacts your sleep for multiple nights.

I'm on the dry january train.

Here is the first sign that I need it.

Wake up about 4am on Jan 2 drenched in sweat.
Asked my wife if it was hot in the bedroom, and she said no.
Day 1 of detox. At least i was able to go back to sleep, and not have the tremens.
No problem last night.

Last year I actually had to try not to drink.
Not an issue this year - immediately transitioned into that i'm not drinking mode.

Going to jump on the trainer now. Another benefit of skipping happy hour.

There are some really solid ginger beers out there. Costco was selling the Fever-Tree which is really good but switched to selling Bundaberg which is, sadly, not so good. There is only so much seltzer I can stomach.

Anyone even trying dry January this year?

I cut back on the beer to a level that I don’t feel a need to completely abstain. But if anyone is in a rut and looking motivation, this is a good time.
I found that wearing a sleep tracker (Fitbit, garmin, whoop, some Apple Watch apps) show some eye opening information. A night with a few drinks negatively impacts your sleep for multiple nights.
Cutting back, but not going totally dry. Saving it for the once a week cheat meal if I feel the urge. I too have noticed the RHR, stress level, body battery and sleep info from my Garmin Vivoactive. I also notice it from sugar from a dessert. And I just read this, published on 01/01/23

Back
Top Bottom