Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

Trying to set rules like this was just a chore. Trying to babysit myself into only having 2 or 3 or none on weekdays just was tedious to the point of not being fun. It was a job and I still felt like shit. I knew I wanted more and was depriving myself...it eventually just became way easier to not have any because when I had 2 or 3 I wanted 20 until I wasn't making memories anymore and I woke up the next morning somehow in my bed.
Agree. There is only one rule that works for me. Don't have the first one. Because after 1, I want more. KISS

I got a text on Monday to join one of my friends on his porch for an afternoon beer. I hadn't told him or anyone in our group about Dry January, so it was an honest invite. Very tempting and I didn't want to turn him down, so I prepped by buying non-alcoholic beer. Normally, I think of that as the Fleshlight of beers, but it actually smoothed things over. We had some wings and as I reached for my second he got up and said "Oh, I'll have another one (real beer) too." He drank beer, I drank something close enough, and there did not seem to be any disruption in the cosmic fabric. In this case, it seemed to help the social aspect. Fortunately (or not) my impulsive and frequently inappropriate comments are always close enough to the forefront of my brain that I don't need additional lubrication to set them free.

Last edited:
23 days. Not been easy, reallybwanted to drink last weekend. Easy during the week. @pooriggy , glad to hear your son got help and seems to be on the up. It really is a life long battle. I have a friend that is 12+ years sober and she fights it every day.

I am a bit OCD and definitely on the alcoholic side. I typically don’t get shitfaced drunk but 3-4 heavy IPAs, a bottle of wine or whiskey on the rocks was the daily. I could function, go to bed, get up to pee once, wake up at 4:45 and drink water all morning and feel normal by 8am. My wife can jist not drink for a week but has social anxiety so will shotgun 2 beers before leaving the house and sometines can’t stop til she passes out. Wish I could just have one or two but my body doesn’t work that way.

Functioning alcoholic. That would be me. Always made it to work, or what ever was planed. My head was in a cloud, but I made it.
We don't have to drink until you pass out in a blackout to be an alcoholic.
For the record and not to justify drinking but I had some of my best rides starting at 5:30-6am after hitting a bottle of merlot and going to bed at midnight. Crazy how that works.

For the record and not to justify drinking but I had some of my best rides starting at 5:30-6am after hitting a bottle of merlot and going to bed at midnight. Crazy how that works.

One year before the Stewart race we camped at Dark Horse after the prep day on Saturday. That night Aaron Snyder showed up on his motorcycle and camped with us. At some point he disappeared and came back with something to eat. It was after dark so it must have been 9pm or later. He obliterated a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream then went to bed. Woke up the next day and of course obliterated the field on his bike.

Anyway, reminds me of that.

As a non-drinker, I find these threads interesting from an outsider looking in perspective, since I can’t relate to that need /desire to drink. But on the flip side, it seems like a few people are struggling with doing this for 30 days and hopefully they see that.

21 days. Sleep is more consistent. Wrist pain and body aches have decreased significantly. I did have a lot of trouble on my mountain bike ride yesterday. Felt abnormally fatigued. Literally had to stop after every climb to catch my breath. I only rode 7 miles but it felt like 15. Got home, took a shower and felt fine by dinner time.

Today my wife’s Covid test came back positive. She’s fine - no symptoms but was required to take one as a teacher. She actually got her first vaccine on Saturday. Took a Covid test on Tuesday and got a positive today.

I have an appointment tomorrow so we’ll see what’s up. I have a feeling, based on my ride yesterday that I am infected too. I read somewhere that alcohol consumption can make symptoms worse for those with the virus. Now I’m really glad I jumped on the Dry January wagon!

21 days. Sleep is more consistent. Wrist pain and body aches have decreased significantly. I did have a lot of trouble on my mountain bike ride yesterday. Felt abnormally fatigued. Literally had to stop after every climb to catch my breath. I only rode 7 miles but it felt like 15. Got home, took a shower and felt fine by dinner time.

Today my wife’s Covid test came back positive. She’s fine - no symptoms but was required to take one as a teacher. She actually got her first vaccine on Saturday. Took a Covid test on Tuesday and got a positive today.

I have an appointment tomorrow so we’ll see what’s up. I have a feeling, based on my ride yesterday that I am infected too. I read somewhere that alcohol consumption can make symptoms worse for those with the virus. Now I’m really glad I jumped on the Dry January wagon!
Sorry to hear this news. Can you smell and taste?

Still in it. My sleep is definitely deeper, I usually wake up a lot through the night, feel like I’m staying asleep for longer stretches. I think I’m going stick with it til I see 199 on the scale if it doesn’t happen by February.

Still in it. My sleep is definitely deeper, I usually wake up a lot through the night, feel like I’m staying asleep for longer stretches. I think I’m going stick with it til I see 199 on the scale if it doesn’t happen by February.

Pretty much. 22 days, feeling wonderful. Well rested, hydrated. I think I am going to use some of my savings to buy a single speed. Hopefully I don’t sell it to buy beer🤷🏼‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom