Dry January 2024 (The Sober Thread)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The NA beers are much better than they used to be.
I haven't had any yet on this run - may treat myself to one on saturday if it is bonfire ready, where i burn the bookshelf.
Forgot to review the last couple - darks from @the schwartz - most were good on the front but left a weird aftertaste.
Have a couple left.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's honestly very good. I used to be a Heady/Other half/magnify guy. It hits the spot and is far less caloric.

I’ve tried some NA beers but they just don’t do it for me.

Tart cherry and seltzer is my go to. It gets a foamy head like s beer, and the cherry is supposed to help your body generate melatonin which makes it really good before bed

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve tried some NA beers but they just don’t do it for me.

Tart cherry and seltzer is my go to. It gets a foamy head like s beer, and the cherry is supposed to help your body generate melatonin which makes it really good before bed
I've found BrewDog IPA's to be good (hazy AF, elvis AF in particular). For non-IPA's, the Self Care stuff (Krystal's Vice, Fuzzy Hat - British Style Brew, Chalice of Wisdom Pilsner) are good.

krink

Eddie Munster
OK so, today I achieved my first dry week in who the hell knows how long. Some days easy, some hard. Yesterday I hit a wall. Doing biggest loser - Ive been successful at a 1900 cal a day limit, and replacing calories Ive burnt while riding- But that and the dry January, damn. Yesterday, I bet I could have eaten a hippo and still felt hungry. Eating a full healthy meal, and afterwards feeling like I had nothing in my stomach, was unusual. Was also stuck mixing drinks for my wife's friends who stopped over. My saving grace was retreating to the basement and watching Van Aert win his 8th CX this holiday season. He looked as miserable as I was. - But I got through it.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

11 days in, third year doing this. Zero cravings thus far, but I have been telling myself all year I was going dry January - Easter. In fact, I was looking forward to it.

The weird dreams are back. Some days I wake up early because the weird dreams are too exhausting and I am looking forward to coffee. When I drink I don’t get the crazy dreams.

JDurk

Still dry, no cravings, yet.
I don’t think you really need the results.

Feel better!
HR is back down, as well as the fever. Still have sinus activity and wet cough. Test results were Negative.
11 days in, third year doing this. Zero cravings thus far, but I have been telling myself all year I was going dry January - Easter. In fact, I was looking forward to it.

The weird dreams are back. Some days I wake up early because the weird dreams are too exhausting and I am looking forward to coffee. When I drink I don’t get the crazy dreams.
The dreams are out of hand with me too. Must be a result of more REM sleep I'm noticing the Vivoactive is recording.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I drink I don’t get the crazy dreams.

Drinking really kills your quality of sleep. I read an article somewhere and they spoke about how much alcohol reduces the recovery which would normally happen during sleep.
I think the study took college kids and split them into 2 groups. 1 group worked out and didn’t drink, the other group did the same workouts and drank like normal college kids. The dry group saw greater gains in fitness.

Seems obvious but still reinforces that drinking too much is so detrimental to fitness

Cassinonorth

Drinking really kills your quality of sleep. I read an article somewhere and they spoke about how much alcohol reduces the recovery which would normally happen during sleep.
I think the study took college kids and split them into 2 groups. 1 group worked out and didn’t drink, the other group did the same workouts and drank like normal college kids. The dry group saw greater gains in fitness.

Seems obvious but still reinforces that drinking too much is so detrimental to fitness

Yep there's a good amount of research on the topic. Not the one you were referring to but pretty substantial evidence:

I still remember when I initially lost my 60 lbs I was 24 and still drinking and I would "save" calories for the night out later...talking going to bars only eating 1000 calories that day so I can have 7-8 beers and still lose weight. Yeah....I blacked out a bunch. Not the smartest choices back then.

Johnny Utah

Amen, more crazy dreams last night but after six hours of sleep I am good to go.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Was planning on having an NA beer while watching football today. Today came around and I found that I wasn't really in the mood for beer. What a mind duck. It is using reverse psychology on itself?

🤣🤣

Another day in the books. Wish they were all this easy.

Last edited:

ekuhn

I don't drink a lot typically. Historically a few nights tend to get un lady like with friends, but I was prolly averaging 3 drinks a week, which mostly would have happened on a Friday or Saturday. Sometimes non at all.

Out to dinner this weekend and had the itch, but I didn't scratch it. 2022 is still good.

Top Bottom