drunkyball

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i have invented a new sport, inspired by an article linked from msn.com.

the premise:

over a course of a given distance, similar to an xc mtb or running loop, teams of two or more race to be the first to get a single ball over the line at the end. tackling, bumping, elbowing all allowed.

sort of like rugby with several small teams, over a single, unidirectional course through the woods.

who wants to play?

D

DANSPANK

Isn't that an event from Ireland anyway? I thought I read about a game played on a specific day where it's no holds barred beatingtons. People run through other peoples' houses, through gardens, anywhere and everywhere. Alcohol is involved.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Isn't that an event from Ireland anyway? I thought I read about a game played on a specific day where it's no holds barred beatingtons. People run through other peoples' houses, through gardens, anywhere and everywhere. Alcohol is involved.

hahaha, i've never heard of that. there is an ancient game played throughout the british isles that is the forefather of all forms of football. it basically invovles some kind of object being brought from either one town to the next or from one part of town to another. this will be a slightly more refined and specific game. a rugby/trailrunning hybrid basically. i invented it this morning and it's gonna rule.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
we used to play full contact badminton when I was younger and less breakable:)
that was different..

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for ya?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it's a nickname i've aquired amongst some of my friends, and i figured i would name my invention after myself. i'll figure out a date and a location soon. if we get people of different running abilities though, it might not be any fun. maybe we should set different divisions based on mile times. i'll have to time myself and see where i stand.

mwlikesbikes

We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for ya?

thanks norm, glad someone got that one! one of my many fave python scits.

it seems to me that even if drunk wasn't in the name beer should be included. or do an event like in the tricycle race from revenge of the nerds. OOH! that could be a game for the '08 fall picnic!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alcohol is strongly encouraged. before, during(where permitted) and especially after.

so, seriously, does anyone wanna give it a shot? i have the ideal place to try it out. very few rocks, loamy trails. we could start with a circa 1-mile loop. we'll use a soccer ball.

if yes, then this saturday, meet on blue rd(dirt rd) off of berkshire valley rd in jefferson township.follow the road down the short hill and park on the right before the bridge, or after the bridge if there're a bunch of fishermen there. we'll walk or jog the half mile or so to the spot, then get it on. meet time 10am. the bars should be open by the time we're finished.

we'll be working out the kinks, since this will be the first official drunkyball contest. and don't worry, i'm a crap runner. i've got a bad knee and i haven't run in years. so this wont be super fast running pace, i don't think.

mwlikesbikes

Sweet warmup for the wayway race sun! I've got a communion to go to sat so at least i'll get some beer in me anyway before sunday.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
not to be a poop mcgloop and rain on anyone's parade, but i could see this game just being the fastest runner wins

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Why not use some beater bikes, and a medicine ball. That might even out the field of fast runners. Sorta like a demo derby on bikes with a goal line at the end.:confused: Anyway, I've always known that whenever alcohol is present so is danger. Good luck.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
not to be a poop mcgloop and rain on anyone's parade, but i could see this game just being the fastest runner wins

idk...if its like a team kill the man with the ball the fastest team wont always win...and if its on trails or in a feild its all about angles and technique speed wont always win all the time...speed is like good looks it only gets you so far

anrothar

entirely thrilled
what chainsaw said, and the game has evolved since i first invented it.

there will now be three different color balls, 1 for 1st place, 1 for 2nd place, 1 for 3rd place. they will be set on the ground 150' from the start. the faster runners will get to them first, but will have to slow down to pick them up. and if a fast guy get's away with the first place ball, there are still the second and third place balls to fight for. then there's the possibility of the guy with the first place ball tripping or twisting an ankle or something...

the course will be 1/4 to 1 full mile, probably more like 1/4. several laps. ideally most of the competitors would be of somewhat equal ability. it's not like a guy in a wheelchair would be going up against an obese guy, a marathon runner and an mma fighter....

Top Bottom