Dropper seatposts legal?

CDub

I have been scouring the rules and searching the 'net to see if a dropper seatpost is legal for CX racing. So far, I have found nothing to indicate it is not allowed.

For those wondering why, I like bunny hopping tall objects in the woods, not a big fan of sack taps, and I can carve faster, tighter turns when the seat is out of the way. Thing is, I don't want to get used to it if it is not kosher for races.

ChrisRU

I was joking about this with someone the other day, it would make bunny hopping barriers way easier. Can these things take the beating of a couple of bad mounts though?

I can't see why they wouldn't be allowed. If it isn't specifically addressed in the rules, I can't imagine anyone even caring if you're not racing in a UCI class.

BiknBen

I've been through the rule books a couple times and never saw any mention of an adjustable seat post. You'll be fine.

As far as actually using it in a race...whatever time you gain by dropping the post will be lost by taking the moment required to change the height. You will get props from the spectators for your high flying act. That is about it.

BShow

Yeah, I'm with Ben and Chris. I've "leafed" through the rules a few times and never saw anything specific about seat posts. If you have a cross bike, you should be good to go in any field I would think the field you're racing. The only place it might raise an eyebrow is on the start line of a UCI field but I doubt you're too concerned about that. Even then, it's only the official's eyebrow that you need to watch since he/she has ultimate power.

CDub

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll give it a try and see what anyone says :D

There shouldn't be any time lost to adjusting height when one uses a remote on the bars and there's actually time to gain in avoiding a dismount/mount plus the risk tripping up or not getting back in the pedals first shot.

I have already ridden around in the woods a lot with the seat slammed and can confirm, without a doubt, that I can hit corners at a significantly higher speed with me over the tire's contact patch and the bike leaned over way more.

Rather than theorize, I am going to set up a typical course, run a bunch of laps both ways, and see which setup proves better (for me, at least). Will post results if anyone is interested.

CDub

Can these things take the beating of a couple of bad mounts though?

I have run a KS dropper for a couple seasons on my all mountain and it has taken a beating like a champ. There is nothing that one could do to this post on a CX that would come close to the abuse my post has seen.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmm I wonder if remount will be easier with seat dropped? Or more painful?

CDub

Biggest roadblock right now is finding someone who stocks a dropper in 27.2mm. KS has a new LEV model in that diameter but everyone is out of stock.

If I can get my hands on one, I will definitely equip it for a race and see if anything is said.

ecsnsmb

Been contemplating this as well. Gravity Dropper's older models are 27.2. New ones might be as well. By far the most durable and reliable of the droppper posts too.

Top Bottom