Dropper Post- Would You Do It Again? Worth the Headaches?

Molasses

Ok I have a dropper post I bought over a year ago and have yet to install and use it- had some cash awards from work about to expire so I splurged.

It is a Spec Command Post- liked the reviews because it fails in the up position, isn't hydraulic and has a set-back.

I tend to keep things simple on my bike- example: avid bb7's vs hydraulic brakes. Just the way I am built.

For those out there that use dropper posts and now can't ride without them do you wish you never started? I ask because it just seems like a great bit of technology that will absolutely break at some point and potentially cause alot of frustration. I ride the usual suspects in Central NJ (six mile, c-rock, harts...) and can get my fat @$$ behind my saddle pretty effectively now for anything I ride. It just seems like the general consensus is droppers are great but for an old, grown-up 40+ year old clinging to mountain biking for fun is it worth the trouble?

I ask as my steed sits in a shop awaiting a fork overhaul, new cables etc... and I wonder if I should get the post installed before the season kicks into full swing.

For me I think it is one of the greatest innovations in the Mtb scene. If you notice with DHing at the parks everyone keeps their saddles slammed because it not only stays out of harms way but also as tool. Using the inner thigh as a pivot. Not sure if that explanation makes sense but carving turns at speed is 100x more precise.

I am also extreme simple to SS rigid and mechanical brakes but I will now always have a dropper, can't say enough how much I like them.

I did not like much my old AMP seatpost but new KS LEV is quite nice addition to AM bike. However I don't want it for my XC bike.

I finally have a bike with a dropper and am just starting to learn how to use it. First couple of rides I only used it on a long downhill run. On a ride at Chimney Rock I completely forgot about it and didn't touch it once - d'oh! I'd be interested to see when/how often people use theirs

I love mine, completely changes the way you can turn.

This is an underrated advantage of a dropper. Getting low in turns is a huge benefit.

And I have the specialized dropper and it's been the best by far. (I've had KS, and a reverb prior)

This is an underrated advantage of a dropper. Getting low in turns is a huge benefit.

And I have the specialized dropper and it's been the best by far. (I've had KS, and a reverb prior)

Can you explain this further? Every turn you are dropping the post? Or only fast/downhill turns?

When my reverb was being warrantied, I rode with a normal seatpost and was thinking that I would sell the reverb when I got it back. But after a few rides I missed the dropper. Some rides I'll only use it once or twice and just to get the seat out of the way when trying to get up a ledge on the technical climb. Other times I use it a lot more, especially on downhills with tight corners.

I think they are worth the cost and hassle

"...droppers are great but for an old, grown-up 40+ year old clinging to mountain biking for fun is it worth the trouble? ....."
I.
...old, grown-up 40+ year olds?!?!? *#$!*%#*& You young whippersnapper you, I'm 63 and still ridin' hard.
I have an older model KS post with a 30mm setback option. I don't drop the post as much as I used to when I first got it, but it's very comforting to know its there when riding Waway and similar terrain as I have broke a few bones going over the bars on steep rocky downhills. I can get behind the seat as well as anybody but being able to get low and back with the seatpost out of the way is much better. This post has been good to me but has required occasional tear down when dirt/dust gets in the works.

Can you explain this further? Every turn you are dropping the post? Or only fast/downhill turns?

Not all. A good example would be going up the switch backs on High Tech on Orange. It's just way easier to maneuver around turns.

Also, high speed sweeping turns. Getting lower allows a lower center of gravity (duh), your weight is right on top, there's more traction, and you just feel more secure.

I put one on one on my Pugsley a few weeks ago. While I don't feel the need (yet) to put one on my other bike, it's certainly very nice and will probably be putting one on my next build. Definitely inspires confidence and at times greatly ups the fun factor. If it's just sitting around, throw it on and see how you like it.

I really don't use mine that often but it really inspires confidence in sketchy situations, for example CR orange dh. I usually don't drop it all the way just because it feels strange on my thigh nowadays.

Out of all the so called "innovations" of the last 10 years, this is,the only one this fundamentally changes the way you ride for the better.

rigid with a dropper post on a non-fat bike would be weird, kind of like a rear suspension bike with a rigid fork

Here is a question. Why do the downhill / park guys have their seats points up?

Back
Top Bottom