dropper lever, what do you think?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Currently i have the standard bontrager dropper lever that clamps to the bars inside the brake mounts (its the lever that came with the line dropper post).

I have been seeing alot of talk about the wolftooth lever($65), and now the PNW loam lever($69) (both look like a similar style lever to me, just made from stronger materials). Is there any major difference between them that would make me want one of them over the other? and either of them over the bontrager lever that i already have? has anyone used all 3 to comment? not really having any issues with the existing lever, just curious since its winter and im easily bored. . .

for reference here is the bontrager lever.
bontrager-drop-line-dropper-seatpost-under-bar-lever-p17260-71821_image.jpg

BPaze

I have the wolf tooth with a transfer and I have had a few issues with the barrel adjuster failing other than that it's a great feel and very comfortable but no point of reference other than wolftooth. I am actually looking to get another lever soon for a bike build so curious of recommendations as well

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dont fix what's not broken . Unless new part is anodized purple then replace asap

anodize lime green for the stache and blue for the fuel . . . hmmmmmm colors could be fun . . .

Paul components purple...

I am getting a new dropper, matchmaker Wolftooth ???

and the matchmaker compatibility is one of the things that actually sparked my interest to even think about it. The bontrager lever is not matchmaker compatible, but either the wolftooth or the loam could be purchased in matchmaker. . .. but then id need to buy two sinc ei have two bikes with the same setup . . .

Xler8

I tried the Wolftooth on my Transfer post and returned it the next day. The Fox lever works so much better IMO. Much smoother action and the engagement feels better on the Fox lever.

Also have a RaceFace lever on a KS Lev post and that lever feels pretty good if you wanna take a look at that lever...

Fire Lord Jim

I am using that Bontrager lever replacing my stock vertical push lever that had a bad habit of breaking off. My only complaint is that it is slippery, and the graphics only look like something grippy.

jdgang

i have the bontrager one. best $30 i have ever spent. Is it the flashiest nope, but it does exactly what it is suppose to do

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For those of us still running 2x, does the Wolftooth (or other) have vertical install options?
That’s how my stock spec remote is, and even with it mounted as the grip clamp, real estate is tight yo.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For those of us still running 2x, does the Wolftooth (or other) have vertical install options?
That’s how my stock spec remote is, and even with it mounted as the grip clamp, real estate is tight yo.
Would probably depend on your brake levers. Sram had version of matchmaker when 2x was the norm and shimano had ispec. Wolftooth makes items compatible those things would those I integrated designs probably changed over the years too.

JDurk

I'm using a Wolftooth with a Thomson dropper. Std Remote, not the longer Light Action version. Much cleaner setup than the Thomson lever.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
who said anything about a weak thumb? im just looking into options, ill explain more details at lunch

Implied ;)

In all seriousness though Serena has the wolftooth on both bikes, one with Bontrager Drop Line and the other with Fox Transfer. From the little use I have with them, and installing them on other team members bikes, I like the feel of the wolftooth. It's also a nicely manufactured piece that, IMO, is better suited for a high end bike.

We also liked incorporating the dropper into the brake lever to clean up the bars. Only one clamp on each side.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Implied ;)

In all seriousness though Serena has the wolftooth on both bikes, one with Bontrager Drop Line and the other with Fox Transfer. From the little use I have with them, and installing them on other team members bikes, I like the feel of the wolftooth. It's also a nicely manufactured piece that, IMO, is better suited for a high end bike.

We also liked incorporating the dropper into the brake lever to clean up the bars. Only one clamp on each side.

this is the kind of experience i was looking for, lets talk more at lunch.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have both, one on each bike.

I wouldn't even think of upgrading, the Bontrager one works just fine. The Wolftooth is great, but never have I really thought about upgrading to the Wolftooth on that bike.

I do notice there's a little more play in the Bontrager, but it's also used. I think that gives a softer feel with less tactile feedback but it hardly matters.

Previous owner put on a little piece of grip tape which is great with gloves, not great without gloves. I have the same feeling with the ridges built into the Wolftooth.

Top Bottom