drivetrains are icky..

warcricket

Like a Jerk
when i stop pedaling, my cassette continues to move forward and pushes all of the slack chain in the drive train towards the cranks and away from the derailleur where it would be tensioned. when i go to pedal again, i have to pedal through all of the excess chain before engaging the cassette. what do i do?

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
when i stop pedaling, my cassette continues to move forward and pushes all of the slack chain in the drive train towards the cranks and away from the derailleur where it would be tensioned. when i go to pedal again, i have to pedal through all of the excess chain before engaging the cassette. what do i do?

What wheelset or rear hub do you have?

alex_k

too cold

maybe grease is too viscous in this cold weather... my mavic crosstrail behaves the same way but it does not affect performance because of SS drivetrain

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
its the stock wheelset on my rockhopper. Specialized Hi Lo disc hubs.

I would have the freehub body removed and cleaned or replaced. Cold weather can freeze it up if you keep your bike in a unheated garage. A good rebuild should solve it.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
too slack?

i have a similiar problem on one of my bikes

on my giant ocr-3, my mechanic replaced the entire drive train

its a road bike, but he gave me a mtb cassette (its bigger)

subsequently, i think the chain maybe too big now, to accomadete the larger cogs, when i use the smaller ones, with the smaller crank, after i pedal fAST, i notice a "hick-up" in the chain

the hick-up is not so bad, and i noticed it mosty when pedalling fast and stop abruptly.

i don't know what kind of bike you have, but if its an older one, the rear wheel may have a larger "shaft" then the ones nowadays, where the wheel fits snug, if so make sure the wheel, and chain is snug.

also, i recommend finding a good mechanic, your bike may be unsafe, and seek a pros help

your almost better off collecting less bikes, as you accomade more, the expense increases exponentionally to maintain them all, self-edification is great, but some times a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Wobbegong

Insert dumb ass get a ss 29er comment here. :rolleyes:

Adam, take it apart, clean and regrease. Go from there if it doesnt solve it.

Like mentioned, it could be the cold.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is why I now own ss 29er simplicity is beautiful, no rain, sleet, snow or mud can slow you down. Rock on!

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
It's likely an issue, as Jim said, of the freehub pawls not moving freely while coasting. Clean and rebuild, or replace the freehub (not the entire hub, just the freehub assembly) if necessary. Unfortunately for you SS advocates, you are not immune from the same exact thing happening. Anyone who isn't riding fixed could suffer this fate, and well, fixed riders suffer this fate on purpose. :getsome:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Unfortunately for you SS advocates, you are not immune from the same exact thing happening. Anyone who isn't riding fixed could suffer this fate, and well, fixed riders suffer this fate on purpose. :getsome:

actually, i think single speeders could be immune. because the cassette isn't really 'fixed'. once it runs out of slack to push it stops moving.

i guess i'll just have to take it apart and clean it

J-7

Test it. Spin the rear wheel by hand and see if the chain gets pushed forward. Then take it inside and warm it up for while and see if it still does it. If it's fine, then you know it's gummed up, if it still pushes the chain then it's probably busted.

J

gtluke

The Moped
it's the hub, take it apart and find ot whats making it stick.
SS's have hub's too so those guys can stick it also :p

Top Bottom