drivetrain clunk

K

klutch

I have a Specialized Hardrock Pro last summer I swapped the cranks, bb, pedals,chain,deraileurs,and wheelsets. I started it all cause of this clunk when I pedal. It's in the same spot of the rotation all the time and feels like a loose pedal but they are tight, I also retightened the bb and cranks. The bb and cranks are race face but I've heard some bad about the RF bb, it's an evolve xc...any thoughts would be appreciated cause I have a new Giant XTC frame on the way and would like to aleviate this prob. cause I'm using some of the specialized parts for the Giant...thanx

ytc100

I have a Specialized Hardrock Pro last summer I swapped the cranks, bb, pedals,chain,deraileurs,and wheelsets. I started it all cause of this clunk when I pedal. It's in the same spot of the rotation all the time and feels like a loose pedal but they are tight, I also retightened the bb and cranks. The bb and cranks are race face but I've heard some bad about the RF bb, it's an evolve xc...any thoughts would be appreciated cause I have a new Giant XTC frame on the way and would like to aleviate this prob. cause I'm using some of the specialized parts for the Giant...thanx

What's left? Frame cracked? Rear dropout worn or rear skewer not holding well so the wheel is slipping?

K

klutch

the frame is solid and the pedals are new Azonic A-frames. I was sorta leaning towards the bb just because of the consistency of the noise but I'm not 100% and it's just an uneducated guess

heythorp

it was pretty darn consistent, it was a click on each pedal stroke in the same place.

Creeks you are describing, most would point immediately to the BB. I was just throwing the pedal conspiracy out there because this just happened to me 2 weeks ago. I thought I was going to have to buy new pedals. Took them apart, greased them up and put them back together and all was good.

I would still lean towards your BB personally, especially if you have not replaced it yet.

PedalPaddles

it was pretty darn consistent, it was a click on each pedal stroke in the same place.

Creeks you are describing, most would point immediately to the BB. I was just throwing the pedal conspiracy out there because this just happened to me 2 weeks ago. I thought I was going to have to buy new pedals. Took them apart, greased them up and put them back together and all was good.

I would still lean towards your BB personally, especially if you have not replaced it yet.

It wouldn't hurt to rule out the rear hub. It can transmit clunks and squeaks to the pedals very well. Try a different rear wheel just to be sure.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sounds BB related to me. i had one doing that and no matter how much i made sure it was tight, it still clunked. it turned out that the bottom bracket somehow got out of round.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try new pedals and see if it's still there. Are your cleats on tight? Is it a click, clunk, or creak?

Pedal with one leg, then the other. Does it only happen when one foot is clipped in? Can you isolate that it's right/left side that way?

Does it happen every single pedal stroke? More under pressure?

Wiggle your crank out/in. Is there play in the BB internals?

Do you ride with a wooden mallet and clunk yourself on the helmet every pedal stroke?

K

klutch

sounds BB related to me. i had one doing that and no matter how much i made sure it was tight, it still clunked. it turned out that the bottom bracket somehow got out of round.

that's excactly what I was thinking. Any thoughts on Race Face xc bb good or bad?

K

klutch

Try new pedals and see if it's still there. Are your cleats on tight? Is it a click, clunk, or creak?

Pedal with one leg, then the other. Does it only happen when one foot is clipped in? Can you isolate that it's right/left side that way?

Does it happen every single pedal stroke? More under pressure?

Wiggle your crank out/in. Is there play in the BB internals?

Do you ride with a wooden mallet and clunk yourself on the helmet every pedal stroke?

pedals are only 6 months old and fairly good pedals(azonic a-frame). It sounds like a clunk but could be a click not a creak for sure. No cleat they're platforms

I tried the one pedal at a time with no luck but it does seem to happen more under pressure but is there 90% of the time.It's only smooth under very light load

there is a small amount of play in the bb

I was told that the "wooden malet" was an old school cadence counter

Shaggz

A strong 7
is that the rf with the external cups? i really like this setup because it is relatively light weight, stiff, easy to service and I have had no problems with mine.

did you install it yourself? i think that bb has 3 or 4 spacers, so make sure you have them in the correct position. there is a reference guide on the bb itself with the measurements and spacer configuration.

K

klutch

i dont know much about much just from lack of experience but i am running a gigapipe in one of my bikes. no complaints.

sweet, I ride a hardtail and sometimes pretty aggressively would I be better getting a DH type bb?

ArmyOfNone

i beat the piss outta my hardtail. its holdin up well. im not sure about the dh bb. Im sure someone else can guide you with that

Shaggz

A strong 7
Is this your set up?:
raceface_evolve_xc_blk_05.jpg

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=32336

Because I *think* you can use the more heavy duty BB with it:

raceface_diabolus_xtype_cup.jpg

shopexd.asp

Top Bottom