Drivetrain Cleaner?

trener1

So I decide that I want to take better care of my bikes this summer, I want to start by keeping my drivetrain clean, I was going to get some degreaser, was looking at for example the Mud Off drivetrain cleaner which looks really good, but is $19, is that really any better then Citrus degreaser that you can pick up at at the hardware store for around $4?.

IMG_1703.jpg

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I decide that I want to take better care of my bikes this summer, I want to start by keeping my drivetrain clean, I was going to get some degreaser, was looking at for example the Mud Off drivetrain cleaner which looks really good, but is $19, is that really any better then Citrus degreaser that you can pick up at at the hardware store for around $4?.

View attachment 95741

Unpopular opinion:
I would be careful not to spray it by any pivots or bearings. And rinse it all off pretty thoroughly. You could probably even dilute it a little. Otherwise go for it.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, on @jShort’s say so, I use the zep purple stuff diluted.

Will occasionally do the chain on the bike with the park inline cleaner, but mostly remove the casette and chain and let them soak.
Chain rings and jockey wheels mostly on bike cleaning, couple times/year they come off too though.

one piece crank

I use aerosol chain lubes, both a dry lube and Boeshield. These have a carrier that evaporates off, but does an excellent job flushing debris from the chain. Afterward I wipe/scrape/scrub the FW, deraileur and chainrings by hand. I do not use any solvent or cleaner unless I'm removing the chain or doing a full tear down.

bergsnj

i use that zep orange degreaser from home depot. 1 gallon has lasted 3 years for me and it is just almost empty now. i put it straight into the park tool chain cleaning tool then hose the chain off and hose off the bike so any degreaser is removed. Then i use an air gun to blow the chain dry and lube it up right away with finish line dry lube. works great for me.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Zep is good for tear down type work, like pulling apart everything. Otherwise, I use the white lighting clean streak to wipe down the chain when it is gunked up and doesnt warrant heavier duty cleaning:
cs0230102.jpg

Spray in rag, wipe off chain and it dries quickly without residue.

Top Bottom