Drawn to the dark side?...

So here is how I wind up back at the unit as I do plan on racing my Orbea hardtail this season and it seems a reasonable way to check out both single speed and 29, with the question being rigid or not.

There is no 'right' answer to the rigid vs. suspension question. It's 100% personal choice. There is probably nothing that you won't be able to ride with a rigid fork that you would ride with a suspension fork. Would you enjoy suspension more? Maybe.

There are plenty of rigid riders in the forum who swear by it. I picked up a Raleigh SS rigid 29er about 2 years ago similar to the Kona. I rode it for about 6 months rigid, then swapped the fork for a Reba. I enjoy riding it more now, especially at the rockier trails like CR. YMMV.

Sorry for rambling, but I think you should try rigid first, even if its just an experiment. You can always add suspension later.

That is really helpful as I am no spring chicken anymore and definitely feel a little beat up on my hardtail on the more rocky places. So you roll 29,ss, front suspension?

Thanks for the confidence bro, although my fastest descending is usually when I come off the bike and flying through the air.
I need to get back in touch with you with the graphics stuff, will get in touch later.

yep, the holidays and january have been busy for us both i'm sure. call me later -

This fork might really change the way we look at rigid forks:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/01/26/spy-shot-niner-full-carbon-rigid-29-fork/

There is no 'right' answer to the rigid vs. suspension question. It's 100% personal choice. There is probably nothing that you won't be able to ride with a rigid fork that you would ride with a suspension fork. Would you enjoy suspension more? Maybe.

There are plenty of rigid riders in the forum who swear by it. I picked up a Raleigh SS rigid 29er about 2 years ago similar to the Kona. I rode it for about 6 months rigid, then swapped the fork for a Reba. I enjoy riding it more now, especially at the rockier trails like CR. YMMV.

Sorry for rambling, but I think you should try rigid first, even if its just an experiment. You can always add suspension later.

That is really helpful as I am no spring chicken anymore and definitely feel a little beat up on my hardtail on the more rocky places. So you roll 29,ss, front suspension?

As do I. I rode the mary for a week before putting a fork on. And that was only because that was how long it took to come in. It was a miserable week!

You seem like you are curious to see how it will feel. I say give it a shot. If it works for you roll on it if not, you at least have another option.

I still have the rigid fork too. *nudge*:)

As do I. I rode the mary for a week before putting a fork on. And that was only because that was how long it took to come in. It was a miserable week!

You seem like you are curious to see how it will feel. I say give it a shot. If it works for you roll on it if not, you at least have another option.

I still have the rigid fork too. *nudge*:)

the way you crash i'm not surprised you couldn't hack the rigid for more than a week :D

in all seriousness, a suspension fork really made riding a lot more fun. i would give the rigid a shot first too. i rode the bike rigid all over, at damn near every park from CR to mahlon and while it beat me up pretty good, it was still manageable. and fun. you may find that you really like the feel of it.

also, don't buy into the hype that riding a 29er eliminates the need for a fork. yes, the big wheels roll over stuff but they don't roll over everything. and like i said, it really depends on where you do most of your riding. with the reba i have, i hardly ever ride it unlocked with the exception of DH sections. but that little cush i get is perfect for 90% of the trail conditions.

the way you crash i'm not surprised you couldn't hack the rigid for more than a week :D

in all seriousness, a suspension fork really made riding a lot more fun. i would give the rigid a shot first too. i rode the bike rigid all over, at damn near every park from CR to mahlon and while it beat me up pretty good, it was still manageable. and fun. you may find that you really like the feel of it.

also, don't buy into the hype that riding a 29er eliminates the need for a fork. yes, the big wheels roll over stuff but they don't roll over everything. and like i said, it really depends on where you do most of your riding. with the reba i have, i hardly ever ride it unlocked with the exception of DH sections. but that little cush i get is perfect for 90% of the trail conditions.

When I first read the crash part I was wondering how you knew me so well.
My only rigid experience is pre shock days but I am sure you can't compare rigid 26 to 29, at least I hope not. It was major even when the first manitou forks came out but I noticed last year when I started running tubeless and low pressure that it was almost just as dramatic. So my thinking was that 29 rigid tubeless would be awesome. Of course this is not from experience yet.

Attachments

• niner-carbon-fork2b.jpg
    niner-carbon-fork2b.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 102
has anyone checked out the redline 29er's I was checking them out online the price seems pretty good they make a sweet looking 1x8.
I am still on the fence weather to go straight SS or keep the rear gears...
to many decisions I get so confused...

has anyone checked out the redline 29er's I was checking them out online the price seems pretty good they make a sweet looking 1x8.
I am still on the fence weather to go straight SS or keep the rear gears...
to many decisions I get so confused...

as if you werent fast enough on 26 inch wheels. you buy a 29er, ill buy a dirtbike to keep up.:D

Just to throw my 2 cents because I own one twentynine inches site just got a delivery of the miSSfit diSSent to test with nudging to G-ted from yours truly check in and see how it turns out, they plan to build it on a budget. I run mine ridgid with origin 8 carbon and wtb 2.55, i'm no spring chicken, and it feels pretty smooth. Peter at miSSfit pscyles is a real hands on owner who pickup and listen to any thing you got....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom