Downhill off season?

betta285

With it being winter and having Diablo closed, I have a real craving for some epic DH. Is there any place around that could offer a decent DH run? If so, I just found an excuse to buy my new rig early:D

Jim

MTBTyler

I know its no where near as great as diablo but chimney rock has 2 or 3 small but fast as hell dh parts. Its rocky so suspention will help.

dhsean

Nothing "epic DH" about Winter in the northeast. You can head out to California for the Fontana Winter DH series. I spend my Winters strength and mobility training plus XC and road rides to get ready for the Spring.

Leaves, mud and snow without a lift make it very difficult for any fun DH. There is a shuttle place in Maryland but I forget the name. That is probably your best bet if your hell bent on using the DH bike in the Winter.

THATmanMANNY

about a week ago i had a dream, i was shuttling the sourlands and i was going dam fast, it was a cool feeling

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yeah, I'm not too sure about DH 'round these parts. If I can ride it on a full-blown XC race bike with 60mm of travel, it ain't DH!! I'm not sure if it would help with the racing side of it, but have you tried riding "urban"? I know it won't do anything other than improve handling skills and give you a reason to ride your new bike, but it may be worth a try. If nothing else, it's fun to rip around the streets with your homies:D

-Jim.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
There are some DH/FR trails to ride in the late fall after the lifts close, but once the snow sets in, it's best to strap on a snowboard, or grab a XC bike and ride trails in parts of the state with less snow. Or move to Cleveland and ride Ray's all winter. ;)

dhsean

i have yet to find any thing that resembles a dh trail at chimney rock...

There is a run but you have to pedal really really fast and it really really hurts. :D

It is good for training and dialing things in before the race season starts.

MTBTyler

i have yet to find any thing that resembles a dh trail at chimney rock...
Try looking over by the dam. No its not as great as an actual DH park but it is down hill.:D

Attachments

• washington_valley_park.jpg
    washington_valley_park.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

ellbiddy

Try looking over by the dam. No its not as great as an actual DH park but it is down hill.:D

No way in hell is it worth it to try and lug a DH bike in there and then back up those hills for that. I've gone down some of those steep hills on everything from a 29er SS to my full squish and felt okay enough to not scream in fear. You'd be doing a lot of work for hardly any fun trying to truck up a 45 pound bike.

Just go climb some hills on your road bike and jump off the curbs...almost as good and you might even taco your wheel for the full effect :rofl:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
There is a shuttle place in Maryland but I forget the name. That is probably your best bet if your hell bent on using the DH bike in the Winter.

Fredrick MD, Gambrill mountain, big, fast, more like Platty(yea I said it) than Diablo.

secondspeed02

splitrock anyone for DH

Hello Jim,
okay there plenty of stuff up at A.K.A "Splitrock" in Rockaway NJ... oh yea please be respectful of the trails I love that place.. For great trail guide you need to ask for Geoff from martyreliable cycle shop in morristown I know right now hes leading a night ride @ splitock tonight w/ biking lights info 7pm at gardern field right next to Denville police station just across from BK on rt 46 please call ahead at cycle shop
(973)5387773 but ya its 2hour dh/xc ride but he'll tell where the the long hills and very steep rocks size of min vans to hit... you'll wont be dispointed..
my name is Evan M. happy new year & keep wheels down

With it being winter and having Diablo closed, I have a real craving for some epic DH. Is there any place around that could offer a decent DH run? If so, I just found an excuse to buy my new rig early:D

Jim

dhsean

Once it gets warmer Ill go;)

That is why the DH season ends before Winter. DH guys never come out unless it above 50. That is why XC bikes rule in the Winter. Besides a DH bike hardly makes it through a season of racing much less an entire year of riding. I know I can't afford to keep the bike going all year. The wallet needs a few months of recovery. :D

I also think you got "freeride" mixed up with "trials" as far as Sourlands goes. I know for a fact that I can slay that place way quicker on a 4 inch travel XC bike than my DH bike. :getsome:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i use freeride very loosely referring to the fun stuff around there. big bikes would definitely be way too sluggish.

dhsean

Don't mind me - I'm just a frustrated DH rider stuck in the middle of Winter getting ready to do a road ride tomorrow morning. :mad:

I can't wait till May. :)

Top Bottom