doping is out of hand!!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw that. What a joke. That guy needs to seek help.

stoked

wow. This is just amazing. They soon going to require a piss test before a club ride :D

A rider from Kissena team told me about a doper in Cat 4 group who was busted recently. :confused: Seriously Cat 4.

giff06

I believe it is the philosophy of our society that second is the first loser. Also the pressure to perform in everything we do and be the best. I feel I never want to be "the best" at anything cause there is only one way to go from there. Ask the average Joe about Lance Armstrong, Bet he has some inkling or opinion about him....next ask him about Jan Ullrich, bet he says ..Who???
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yes, it's kind of sad when amateurs can get that wrapped up in their performance that they will cheat the sport and possibly their health for winning. I think it is good that they drug test the upper levels of amateurs. I have been on the podium twice at master worlds and both times one of the other women were tested. I think it is a small price to pay to keep it clean. I would hate to see drug testing trickle down to local entry level. Even a simple inhaler is not legal without review. That could certainly be a turn off to new racers.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Yeah, I think the only thing more ridiculous than requiring drug testing at a Fondo is actually finding someone who fails. What a f*cking a$$hat.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seriously wacked...at the level at which we are competing where there is really nothing to win or career potential....Makes no sense to me.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It gets even more interesting when you look at his race results. He raced our CX up in Sussex Co. back in '11.
http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=280592

Apparently EPO doesn't help you turn a cx bike.

Bikesnob called it: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012/04/saving-your-hide-gran-fondos-and-grand.html

"But just like power meters and crabon wheels and coaching and all the other stuff that trickles down from the pros to the amateurs, I'm sure drug testing will eventually be the must-have accessory for any Fred ride. It's only a matter of time before you'll need to submit a biological passport to participate in the Five Boro Bike Tour, or before someone from Strava comes to your house to collect a blood sample"

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm not surprised. people get obsessed with the dumbest crap, never mind racing (which isn't really all that dumb, no matter what level its at IMO).

in high school i knew guys who would take vivarin at halftime during a football game. illegal? i guess not, but really dumb. they thought it would pick them up for the rest of the game. they should have just gone with a kilo of blow - the team still had terrible win/loss records.

people will generally do anything for an edge. in sports, at work, where ever at any level.

i guess that's why i liked the iroc race races - racers essentially used the same car which leveled the playing field. no "car doping". i guess you cant do that with people-powered sports.

its crappy for people to have lined up against this guy. kudos to the people that still beat him.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
in high school i knew guys who would take vivarin at halftime during a football game. illegal? i guess not, but really dumb. they thought it would pick them up for the rest of the game. they should have just gone with a kilo of blow - the team still had terrible win/loss records.

:D Vivarin? Really? THAT was what they thought would give them an "edge"? Sounds like a well-meaning but ridiculously out of touch Afterschool Special from the 80's or that Saved by the Bell episode where the horsey girl from Showgirls got addicted to caffeine pills. Someone should have secretly replaced their Vivarin with trailer-park crank and then see how well they'd have played. They have sacked the opposing QB and then tried to chew off his leg below the knee all the while crying uncontrollably because they can't understand why this devil's candy "Vivarin" is making them do such terrible things. That's fantastic ... Vivarin ... I don't think Vivarin is even powerful enough to use as an ingredient of a real drug. I really hope those guys look back on those days as their "drug-fueled high school years." That'd be awesome.

tednugent

Apparently EPO doesn't help you turn a cx bike.

Bikesnob called it: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012/04/saving-your-hide-gran-fondos-and-grand.html

"But just like power meters and crabon wheels and coaching and all the other stuff that trickles down from the pros to the amateurs, I'm sure drug testing will eventually be the must-have accessory for any Fred ride. It's only a matter of time before you'll need to submit a biological passport to participate in the Five Boro Bike Tour, or before someone from Strava comes to your house to collect a blood sample"

Speaking of bikesnobnyc... he wrote this a while back for Bicycling Magazine

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/why-so-serious

bicycling-recreational-racing_1.jpg

SpartaBard

I love this quote today from bikesnobnyc

"Sure, testing a bunch of hobbyists for performance-enhancing drugs is a lot like calling the IRS to audit your Monopoly games"

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I love this quote today from bikesnobnyc

"Sure, testing a bunch of hobbyists for performance-enhancing drugs is a lot like calling the IRS to audit your Monopoly games"

:hysterica
I actually laughed out loud at that

Added:
I read only the first couple lines of the article, will go back and read the whole thing later. But I get what he is trying to say. Chill out. This should be fun and not another cause of stress. Let me tell you a story ("oh no" groan from the masses):
A woman was a downhill racer. Took a lot of pride in her accomplishments. One day her 12 yr old daughter decides last minute she wants to race too. The daughter had ridden downhill for recreation, but racing is another story. So this mom doesnt want her 12 yr old riding down the mountain alone. So the race starter allowed the mom to go right before the daughter. Mom goes out the gate and stops. Daughter goes out the gate and mom rides with her all the way down.
When near the end of the race, when it is a short section of fire road to the finish line, mom says "can you handle it from here?" the reply "yes" "great! see ya at the finish line" and mom takes off like a bat out of hell to try and make up a little time. She gave the mom a good race to the finish line too!

Some commended her on the sacrifice of a trophy to ride with the daughter, some told her she should have let her daughter go it alone and admitted they would never throw away an opportunity to win. That is just sad. What would YOU have done? What was more important? The metal and plastic trophy? Or the trophy in my heart of a great race with my kid? win or lose doesnt matter. If you did your best and it encourages you to try harder, you have already won.

And doping is stupid at anytime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom