Doodads I carry on the bike

Minotaur

Water bottle in the cage; saddle bag with a bottle of Slime (hey, it works! ;)); all purpose tool; CO2 cartridge for emergency inflation after a repair on the trail or road; pressure gauge. I probably should get a hand pump (I have a foot pump and a cigarette lighter-powered pump I keep in the truck). Am I carrying too much... too little...? What do you all carry?

SpartaBard

Water bottle in the cage; saddle bag with a bottle of Slime (hey, it works! ;)); all purpose tool; CO2 cartridge for emergency inflation after a repair on the trail or road; pressure gauge. I probably should get a hand pump (I have a foot pump and a cigarette lighter-powered pump I keep in the truck). Am I carrying too much... too little...? What do you all carry?

Spare tube, patch kit.

Not So Fast

Most carry a hydration pack

Water bottles get lost on trails. With all the rattling that goes on out there is is sometimes difficult to keep it in its cage. HYdration packs can store more water and tools. Most folks prefer the Camelbak brand. It top of line quality.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
<5 hrs:

two-three water bottles, depending on refill points, spare tube, patch kit, multitool, pump, asthma inhaler, id, $5-20. if it's a one hour ride or less, or if there are refill points about every hour, i only carry one water bottle. between 3 and 5 hours i carry a little bit of food.

>5 hrs:

above + food.

ArmyOfNone

The amount of food i bring along depends on the intensity and duration of the ride. Gels, Shot Blocks, Cliff Bars or sometimes candy depending.

I always have with me a spare tube, CO2, multi tool, tire levers, keys for the car, and extra chain links. I need to pick up some more patches. On the mtb i carry a 19mm crescent wrench for my ENO hub.

edit: Anything over 3 hours ill go w/ a camelback. I hate em tho

Last edited:

Nimrod

tire tube, levers, patch kit and a multi tool.

100oz camembak load with either water, heed, or perpetuim (sp)

Minotaur

I have to update my first aid kit; I guess I should carry a spare tube and/or patch kit and tire lever despite the Slime. I used it per the directions a few months ago, and it's held ever since. But I guess there's no harm in Plan B. I could have used a snack on the ride this morning, so I'll keep that in mind. I use Aquafina 20 oz. bottles. Fits right in the cage, and when they get beat up, in the recyclables they go.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
unless you're carrying a pretty in depth first aid kit, i kinda don't see the point. band aids really aren't going to do you much good. if it's serious enough to really need first aid, a cell phone is what you really need.

Minotaur

unless you're carrying a pretty in depth first aid kit, i kinda don't see the point. band aids really aren't going to do you much good. if it's serious enough to really need first aid, a cell phone is what you really need.

That's what I kind of thought, especially with having a cellphone. But of course, as luck would have it when I rode Allaire for the first time last week, guess what I forgot at home? Yes, cellphone. :rolleyes:

My idea of a workable f/a kit is antibiotic ointment, gauze rolls and pads, and tape, maybe even a small bottle of saline solution (like for contact lenses). In addition to the cellphone... as long as it's not left at home.

D

DANSPANK

I carry much like everyone else above - although I just found out todat that I need to carry larger patches, for ripped tyre wall issues, and but a new multitool as my one just shit the bed.

Carrying this much stuff can sometimes help you help others on the trail. If you go by someone with their bike upside down then just check to see if they need anything - you could turn their shitty day around (right Chris? Thanks again!)

And if your cell phone takes photos then you can show the rest of us what you got up to.

SpartaBard

I carry much like everyone else above - although I just found out todat that I need to carry larger patches, for ripped tyre wall issues, and but a new multitool as my one just shit the bed.

That is what you are supposed to carry a dollar bill. I guess a piece of carboard from the spare tube package would work as well.

Top Bottom