Don't think 877-WARN-DEP works for reporting off-road vehicles?

Apache1

Not only did we encounter him on the Tranquility side of Allamuchy yesterday - it was after 5PM!
The more reports that are logged - the more they will have the ammunition to patrol.
He also suggested writing a note to the Governor.

Call 877-WARN-DEP or get the free App Warn NJDEP and send a report!
Allamuchy State Park Police 51821.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So, to catch illegal motos in the woods, the police send officers into the woods on motos? I hope the officers know how to ride without tearing up the trails. Seems like it would be better to catch them loading or unloading their trailers.

I typed out a wiser ass version of this and deleted it. Same as Watchung where guys on quads and pick up trucks drive through singletrack to stop mountain bikers from messing up the trails 🤣🤣🤣

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never had issue with with motos (2 wheels) on trails considering most of our trail system was originally made by them. Bias of course as I used to twist the throttle before it became illegal hence why I became mtber now. I used to ride the course after NJ enduro State points race (moto) in north and loved it. Big bank turns everywhere. So today I don't frown on the moto guy but quadtards who blow out singletrack. I appluad the state taking the lead by using fire to stop the fire. If some moto guys fall then it's on the moto guy getting caught because PP was better rider but there is no way quadtard is out running a moto so this makes me happy.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I never had issue with with motos (2 wheels) on trails considering most of our trail system was originally made by them. Bias of course as I used to twist the throttle before it became illegal hence why I became mtber now. I used to ride the course after NJ enduro State points race (moto) in north and loved it. Big bank turns everywhere. So today I don't frown on the moto guy but quadtards who blow out singletrack. I appluad the state taking the lead by using fire to stop the fire. If some moto guys fall then it's on the moto guy getting caught because PP was better rider but there is no way quadtard is out running a moto so this makes me happy.
Liked for multiple use of Quadtard.

Fat Trout

So, to catch illegal motos in the woods, the police send officers into the woods on motos? I hope the officers know how to ride without tearing up the trails. Seems like it would be better to catch them loading or unloading their trailers.
Most of these guys come in from off of Park land and ride on it. If not caught in the act / in the park in many / most cases they can say "didn't do it" or weren't going to do it. Worrying about the one/few advocating for us VS keeping the focus on the countless folks riding without any fear of enforcement would be a small price to pay. I should mention I was there just out of photo and the officer was riding very appropriately and knew what he was doing. The trail he was on was torn up pretty good from recent tracks and we had 2 motos come flying by us later in the ride on the way back on the same trail.

goldsbar

Finally! Though maybe he was the moto that went through Lumpy Bumpy?:( The quadtards really shouldn't be that hard to find. Pretty easy to tell where they go in/out.

But, but, there's nowhere for them to ride. Yup, that's why I don't own a surfboard.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Last year there was a group of 10-12 moto riders that came blasting up Cardiac/Ditch. They met and started from the Pub 517 parking lot. It seemed like a regular meet up because I saw them there a couple of weeks later in the parking lot while driving by.

What gets me are the couches on wheels (quads) in Stephens -- they like to ride/widen the singletrack even when there is a completely usable parallel doubletrack. The choke points put in multiple places has seemed to stem the use of the Blue Trail, but singletrack next to the rubble dirt road on Land of the Lost gets hammered. One of my buddies (I don't want to mention his name -- a regular on the board and you probably know him) confronted a group of 10 of them near one of the Budd Lake entrances only to be physically threatened by the leader.

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Unless they are unloading or loading on state park land, we were told by the cops last year they can't do anything because once they leave SP land they do not have jurisdiction. The question came up because a group of quads were tooling around Stephens -- they they saw the cops, they immediately went onto Mount Olive land and the cops could not follow. Unless they were giving us a load of bull and just didn't feel like doing the paperwork. LOL

mtn

Unless they are unloading or loading on state park land, we were told by the cops last year they can't do anything because once they leave SP land they do not have jurisdiction. The question came up because a group of quads were tooling around Stephens -- they they saw the cops, they immediately went onto Mount Olive land and the cops could not follow. Unless they were giving us a load of bull and just didn't feel like doing the paperwork. LOL
NJ State Park Police have full arrest power within the state of NJ. That said, if an officer spots a quad rider within the state park and follows the quad out of the park, they are still within their jurisdiction to stop, investigate, and arrest if need be.

Last year there was a group of 10-12 moto riders that came blasting up Cardiac/Ditch. They met and started from the Pub 517 parking lot. It seemed like a regular meet up because I saw them there a couple of weeks later in the parking lot while driving by.

What gets me are the couches on wheels (quads) in Stephens -- they like to ride/widen the singletrack even when there is a completely usable parallel doubletrack. The choke points put in multiple places has seemed to stem the use of the Blue Trail, but singletrack next to the rubble dirt road on Land of the Lost gets hammered. One of my buddies (I don't want to mention his name -- a regular on the board and you probably know him) confronted a group of 10 of them near one of the Budd Lake entrances only to be physically threatened by the leader.

That the one a couple years ago over behind the Firetower in the Winter time ?

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
That the one a couple years ago over behind the Firetower in the Winter time ?
I think so -- a large group that used to make regular ride events, but it was much more than just the fire tower area. Blue, Tressle and even the maze loops were getting trashed that year by that group. It was winter and spring of 2019 I believe. There was another smaller group with a quad and some dirt bikes that used to do it too -- used to see them only near the Firetower so they were less impactful.

There still is quad usage there, just not as organized. Pots & Pans as well as the White Trail descent are still being used by the quads. It looks like they enter off Waterloo Valley Road near the old gun range and ride up the White to Pots & Pans, tool around up top and end up coming down the White rubble trail past Tally-Hoe to get back out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom