Does Allaire ever close for wet conditions?

VTrider

I am an avid rider who lives in Vermont, but we visit NJ fairly often because my wife's family is from Toms River. I am hoping to check out Allaire for the first time early next week, but the weather looks pretty wet for the weekend.

Do the trails close due to wet conditions? I've heard it is sandy and I assume that it dries quickly and is probably not as fragile as a lot of what we ride in VT.

Also - if anyone has any other recommendations for riding sports in that area please let me know. Thanks.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I am an avid rider who lives in Vermont, but we visit NJ fairly often because my wife's family is from Toms River. I am hoping to check out Allaire for the first time early next week, but the weather looks pretty wet for the weekend.

Do the trails close due to wet conditions? I've heard it is sandy and I assume that it dries quickly and is probably not as fragile as a lot of what we ride in VT.

Also - if anyone has any other recommendations for riding sports in that area please let me know. Thanks.

Ah! Waterbury... sweet trails bro!

No, down here we don't close trails with signage but we try let folks know if the conditions are bad and politely ask them to choose places that drain well, or take the road bike out. Its a lot like Stowe/Waterbury scene during mud season and heavy rains. (I've gotten the "talk" from some locals in the Stowe area we totally respect the rules during mud season).

Allaire is probably going to be in fine shape after a rain. Its sandy soil drains well and firms up when wet. If you can link up with some allaire riders and get a tour. Frank (gt2brew) or his crew are riding there all the time and they are the best foks to contact for route advice or a tour if they're available.

If you're looking for something along the lines of Perry Hill, then Allamuchy, Ringwood, and Ramapo are big climbs and the most technical lines. Helps to get a guide tho... throw a post up here and someone should be able to show you around.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
What Jeff said...Allaire drains great this time of year, should be fine unless it really came down the day before. Just stay off the river trails if the level is up, it can get super sloppy.

There are group rides almost nightly there, you will really want a guide to link up the best trails, post it up and someone should be available.

VTrider

Thanks! I guess it is a non-issue now anyway as the weather today is perfect in Jersey, despite the forcasts earlier in the week. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

I'm impressed that you know Perry Hill. That is my local ride and also one of my favorite trail systems anywhere. The trails in the Stowe/Waterbury are in incredible shape this year and I highly recommend visiting that area or East Burke (the Kingodm Trails) for a get-away. There is also lift service at both Bolton Valley Resort and now at Sugarbush if you are into that.

Thanks again.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions