Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I know I do.
How about other trails in NJ?
Like them?
I do too.

Winter is upon us.
And NJ winter is unpredictable.
I remember winters with tons of snow and others I was wearing t-shirts and sometimes those were within days of each other.

Please lets be considerate of trail conditions at ALL the parks, and be willing to politely spread the word to other trail users who may not understand the amount of volunteer work that goes into building and maintaining those trails we love.

Each park and sometimes even a certain trail has a different flavor and reacts differently to the weather conditions. Some parks are rocky with lots of elevation changes and are able to drain well. Some are sandy and not only drain well, but are not as sensitive to riding even when a little moist. The moisture may even make the conditions better by packing down the sand a little. But even at those parks, there may be certain sections you need to avoid. For example at Allaire. While mostly sandy, the tiger woods section is not and sustains damage when ridden under wet conditions. Some parks are clay based, like 6M and are very sensitive when ridden when there is even a little moisture.

I hiked 6M last night. I was disturbed at some of the damage. While it may seem minimal now, over the winter it will only get worse. While sections SEEMED hard and ride-able, you could tell from the color of the soil the moisture content is high. With freezing temps this moisture comes to the surface and then when the sun comes out it melts and ruts are formed when you ride. That night the ruts will freeze. So even if you ride when its still frozen out it sucks because frozen ruts in a nice flowy turn just suck. With each rider going through it just compounds and gets worse. Even if its still below freezing out, if the sun is hitting the dirt, the top layer melts and gets squishy. So be careful when telling people its ok to ride if its freezing out. We need to let the top soil freeze down deeper to prevent damage during that "freeze thaw" cycle some of us are familiar with at 6M.

I know there are a lot of bikers out there that dont visit this forum. So I ask you to just spread the word to other bikers when you see them.

If you do find a wet or rutted spot, consider doing some things differently to minimize the amount of damage you do. Consider actually getting off and walking your bike so you dont create more deep ruts. Yes I have actually carried my bike over muddy areas. When you see a puddle or muddy area we all know that we need to refrain from going around it. Go through the middle. But heres the big part that may be hard for many of you SLOW DOWN when you do. When you go through fast, it displaces more dirt. So SLOW down and most of the dirt/mud will squish back into place. SLOW MEANS LIKE WALKING PACE. And for Gods sake learn to brake and corner with OUT skidding. Skidding on dry dirt I am not very fond of, but skidding on wet is even worse, and skidding out on those corner when its wet and muddy is just awful. I was appalled at the amount of slide marks in the corners at 6M

here are just a few pics of damage that will only get worse as the winter progresses, you may have to turn your monitors sideways to view, sorry no time to edit them, I may have to grab a shovel and fill a few holes on the trails today

P1017516.JPG

P1017520.JPG

P1017521.JPG

P1017522.JPG

P1017523.JPG

P1017524.JPG

this next one is particular disturbing because what used to me a narrow nice turn has become wider, with a puddle and now an alternate line.
P1017525.JPG

P1017526.JPG

P1017527.JPG

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, I agree. People need to explore other parks.
I think 6 mile is so popular because there is hardly any elevation and one of the least technical parks in the state plus it's in one of the most densely populated areas.
Unfortunately this post will only reach a small portion of the mtb community who are probably already aware of the damage that can occur when trails are too soft to ride. This has been discussed in previous years, what is needed are large signs at the trailheads that read; Park is Closed Today due to Unfavorable Conditions. This won't keep everyone out but it would help.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why can't trails in jeopardy to bad conditions not be closed. This is done in many other states. Not sure what the logestics are and why state park management can't actually manage this.

ktmrider

I don't think the people that destroy the trails do it on purpose , they are just have no idea . Some don't give a shit , I know if your caught riding in unfavorable conditions at Nassau and I see you there it will be a problem . I have confronted several folks about it and all but one understood and wanted to throw down . It's kind of funny when a man in spandex tries to be tough .

Ian F

Not sure... I know Nockamixon in PA is often posted as "closed" when it's wet. It's a lot like 6MR in that there isn't much elevation change, the trails aren't very rocky (although more than 6M) and sections of it doesn't drain well (despite being next to a lake...). I'm not sure if it keeps people away 100%, but it seems to help. I know my friends who ride there often always check the status before making the drive up there.

I saw a web-zine post on FB that had 6MR listed as the most popular trail system in NJ. Kinda surprises me since I really don't see very many people there, but then again I'm usually riding there after work during the week. I think I've only ridden there once on a weekend in the past 7 years.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This post implies that if we say NO then it's OK to ride there.

Agree with previous statements, less than 1% of trail users are on the Forum and will see this. Day of signage would be dope and significantly more effective.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not sure... I know Nockamixon in PA is often posted as "closed" when it's wet. It's a lot like 6MR in that there isn't much elevation change, the trails aren't very rocky (although more than 6M) and sections of it doesn't drain well (despite being next to a lake...). I'm not sure if it keeps people away 100%, but it seems to help. I know my friends who ride there often always check the status before making the drive up there.

I saw a web-zine post on FB that had 6MR listed as the most popular trail system in NJ. Kinda surprises me since I really don't see very many people there, but then again I'm usually riding there after work during the week. I think I've only ridden there once on a weekend in the past 7 years.

its a zoo after 8:00 on the weekends.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
This post implies that if we say NO then it's OK to ride there.

Agree with previous statements, less than 1% of trail users are on the Forum and will see this. Day of signage would be dope and significantly more effective.
there are signs at 2 of the trailheads
havent noticed a significant change in trail user behavior unfortunately
most read a sign, and ignore it if it doesnt line up with their desire.
Hell, most will break actual LAWS if they think they can
thats why I asked for people to spread the word to those they see out on the trails
and there are some who ride on less than desirable trail conditions who ARE on this forum too

Ian F

its a zoo after 8:00 on the weekends.

Ah... so probably worth avoiding. Granted, I have other trails closer to home to ride on weekends. Plus, I tend to ride at 6M with "training" in mind - going out essentially as hard as I can. While stopping or slowing for other trail users a few times during a ride doesn't bother me, much more than that and I'd be better off riding on the road.

Top Bottom