Do you know Manual? (Coasting Wheelie, aka “Manual” )

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Illicit MTB Techniques Part Deux

There's only so much MTB'ing you can do with the Tripod Turn, after practing a couple of ratchet turns up at Jungle Habitat, it's time to expand my MTB knowle-base regarding the Manual (Coasting Wheelie, aka “Manual” )

I first heard of this term in Dirt Magazine Video "MTB Fundamentals: The Mountain Bike Technique Video"
70036480.jpg
, I really didn't understand what they were saying, but what they were doing looked way cool.

Do you use the "Manual" as part of your MTB tool-kit?

What Trails, intances in jersey are ideal for the "Manual". I frequent ringwood, but I'm afraid all those rocks would not be friendly to Manual. I'm fixing to check out Lewis Morris soon. Wouldn't that be cool, for Macman lay-off the dabs/tripod turns and do a Manual in an actual MTB race.
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=3805
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills
Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack

Coasting Wheelie, aka “Manual”

When you’re coasting downhill or on flat ground, this is the best way to get your front wheel over trouble. You’d be amazed at what your rear wheel can roll over after your front is already clear, especially with suspension. Remember to stay loose and keep your speed reasonable.

GET YOUR WHEEL OFF THE GROUND

Start in a neutral position, arms and legs slightly bent, weight centered.

Crouch down and forward. Bring your chest close to your handlebars.

All of a sudden, with great vigor, push your torso upward and backward. Straighten your arms all the way. Straighten your legs a bit and push your hips backward and your pedals forward. Imagine your body rotating back over the contact patch of your rear tire.

Let your body continue to rotate up and back. When your arms straighten, your body’s momentum will pull the front end up. (This way, you lift the bike with the mass of your body rather than your puny little arms.) The farther back you go, the closer your center of gravity gets to your rear tire’s contact patch, and the longer you can keep your wheel up. Don’t go too far, though, or you’ll “loop out,” which means “fall on your bum.”

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
oui. don't over think it, son! (btw, I am not going to start using "son" but it really just fits in this case).

Manuals have there place on every single trail and on every ride. A manual is just a wheelie where you don't pedal. They are hard to learn on any bike but on 26" wheels they are pretty difficult and require a fair amount of bike humping (jump specific and trials bikes are an exception). Can't speak for 29er's but I assume you have to get way back over the rear wheel or have super forearms to make it happen.

Anyways, since I used to ride with flatland guys, we would have manual contest all the time and would create manual lines with bunnyhops and drop s and such. The only time I really manual now is when it makes sense, manual the rollers at 6, manual root sections and rock section. It is all based on the layout of the trail and goes along with pumping and using the trails natural (or man made) features to make the trail more fun.

Just get way back over your rear tire and lift the front wheel, pretty hard to loop out with the big wheels. Takes awhile to learn...

gtluke

The Moped
I do it all the time, everywhere.
It's the reason I won't buy a 29er, the leverage is all off and riding a manual takes too much strength.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I do it all the time, everywhere.
It's the reason I won't buy a 29er, the leverage is all off and riding a manual takes too much strength.

did you just say that you're too weak to manual a 29er? :hmmm::D

it's all about geometry. once you get a 29er to the balance point it'll be easier to keep it there with the longish chainstays and big wheels. getting it there is more difficult though, as 29ers generally have lower bb's. go with higher bars and a shorter stem, and a 29er frame with a higher bb if you want to include manuals and bunnyhops in your trail riding.

as to the op: manualing for long distances wont really do anything for you on trails. most practical uses of it are relatively short. if you're just looking for a good place to practice, look for a parking lot.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
if you're just looking for a good place to practice, look for a parking lot.
thanks for the tip, by me is just parking lots, so i have a place to learn the Manual

Maybe I'll increase the pressure in rear shock, as they say thar rigid is better for the manual

gtluke

The Moped
did you just say that you're too weak to manual a 29er? :hmmm::D

it's all about geometry. once you get a 29er to the balance point it'll be easier to keep it there with the longish chainstays and big wheels. getting it there is more difficult though, as 29ers generally have lower bb's. go with higher bars and a shorter stem, and a 29er frame with a higher bb if you want to include manuals and bunnyhops in your trail riding.

as to the op: manualing for long distances wont really do anything for you on trails. most practical uses of it are relatively short. if you're just looking for a good place to practice, look for a parking lot.

I think it's more in the chainstay length, which is very difficult to get to 26er dimensions on a 29er. some people prefer to "roll over" everything. I prefer to jump over or ride around everything, so I'm sticking to a 26" :)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I can manual, bunny hop, pedal-kick, 360 and any other of my small bag of tricks on my 29er just as easily as when I had a 26 inch bike. The balance point is different, but that can be said from going from a hardtail to a dually as well. But that aside, they are fun but limited in usage as far as the woods are concerned.

The biggest usage I've found is for logs. Manual a little just before and bunnyhop, but while you are in the air hold the front end up and roll the rear tire across the log, you'll carry more speed than landing with the front wheel first:D

-Jim.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
more manual madness

i only watched the mtb video a couple of times, by i think a couple of dudes, maybe even sam hill did a Manual down an entire hill.

that being said the term "manual" is also used in skate boarding

The Manual is where the skateboarder balances on his or her back wheels while rolling along (something like a wheelie on a bike - read more in the Skateboarding Dictionary). The Manual is a great skateboarding trick to learn - it's different from all the regular technical flip tricks, and adds a good variety. Plus, learning to manual on your skateboard isn't all that hard - it just takes balance and lots of practice.

be that as it may, if i tried to "hang ten" on my mtb, i would certainly have an endo/john boy

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I can manual, bunny hop, pedal-kick, 360 and any other of my small bag of tricks on my 29er just as easily as when I had a 26 inch bike. The balance point is different, but that can be said from going from a hardtail to a dually as well. But that aside, they are fun but limited in usage as far as the woods are concerned.

The biggest usage I've found is for logs. Manual a little just before and bunnyhop, but while you are in the air hold the front end up and roll the rear tire across the log, you'll carry more speed than landing with the front wheel first:D

-Jim.

I'd agree with Jim. The only time a manual is useful is before a log. Once the front wheel is over the log, lightly pull up on your feet to allow the rear wheel over. Hard to learn, but super dope to pull of with your friends. Looks really clean!

doctor855

also good for small water crossings if you dont want to get wet from the spray of the front wheel. ie: cold weather riding.

MTBTyler

I can only do a manual for about 8 feet. My longest wheelie is 27 parking spaces. I found its much easier to do it on a HT vs FS.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
also good for small water crossings if you dont want to get wet from the spray of the front wheel. ie: cold weather riding.

agreed, and increased control during those water crossings as well.

trail uses for manuals list:

*approach to bunnyhopping an obstacle(log/rock/corpse).
*rolling over a small obstacle at speed.
*water crossings.
*narrow gaps that would snag the pedals or handlebars, but have enough room a few inches up.
*changing direction without turning the bars.
*dips in the trail too tight to effectively pump.
*rolling off a dropoff or the end of a log, especially at low speed.
*impressing the ladies(or dudes).
*gnar-hucking.
*quote and add to the list.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I can only do a manual for about 8 feet. My longest wheelie is 27 parking spaces. I found its much easier to do it on a HT vs FS.

manuals are easier on FS with the rear end setup soft. it gives you more room for movement to correct your balance point.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
manuals are easier on FS with the rear end setup soft. it gives you more room for movement to correct your balance point.

agreed, once you settle into the suspension. I think you list pretty much covers the uses on the trail. Unless you have a long roller line, you would rarely manual further than 8 feet on a trail, if that.

btw, learn to manual on the flat before you try it approaching a obstacle, or at least wait until I can watch.:D

Sircrashalot

And never attempt one when clipped in (clipless), in the parking lot on the Rt. 27 side of six mile run, with a lot full of people, when you haven't been on the bike in a month. Unless, of course, you like looping out &landing flat on your back still attached to both pedals, and getting laughed at by large numbers of total strangers. A friend of mine said that's bad. :eek:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
what part of his leg did he break that he had to lay there till paramedics arrived?:confused:

i've ripped shorts looping out from manuals and mislanded bunnyhops before, but was always able to ride away...

gtluke

The Moped
he cracked the bone where it goes from your ankle to your leg. he cracked the leg bone.
he was on crutches for like all damn summer.
he's also a baby, i would have driven to the hospital, or made someone drive me.

Top Bottom