Do you know Manual? (Coasting Wheelie, aka “Manual” )

dhsean

Here's a picture of me practicing finding the balance point for manuals with Shaums March. 10 minutes later after practicing I was flat on my back with the wind knocked out of me. I think the manual gene comes along with the wheelie gene. After 8 years of DH racing I still have neither. :mad:

And remember to always keep your finger near the rear brake.

Attachments

• pro camp 07 016.jpg
    pro camp 07 016.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 144

hooples3

If your going to Manual then you need to throw some pegs on the back of the bike to make them more stylish

These days its more about a nose-wheelie into and out of a switchback

Sircrashalot

Total fail is right....oooooowww.

i've ripped shorts looping out from manuals and mislanded bunnyhops before, but was always able to ride away...

In my case my camelpack somewhat cushioned my landing. Good thing for a helmet though cuz the back of my head hit the ground pretty hard. I only hurt my pride.

lmckee

I can manual, bunny hop, pedal-kick, 360 and any other of my small bag of tricks on my 29er just as easily as when I had a 26 inch bike. The balance point is different, but that can be said from going from a hardtail to a dually as well.

I agree that after you find your balance point the technique involved in doing a manual would be be just as easy as on a 26" bike. The fact of the matter though is that the shorter the chainstay length the less rider input is needed to get it to that balance point. Essentially it is in fact easier (physically) to manual something with a shorter chainstay.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Of course I know Manual - he works at the local Burrito shop.

Illicit MTB Techniques Part Deux

What Trails, intances in jersey are ideal for the "Manual". I frequent ringwood, but I'm afraid all those rocks would not be friendly to Manual. I'm fixing to check out Lewis Morris soon. Wouldn't that be cool, for Macman lay-off the dabs/tripod turns and do a Manual in an actual MTB race.

All trails are ideal for Manual; he's a superstar. He fears no rocks, friendly or otherwise.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
And never attempt one when clipped in (clipless), in the parking lot on the Rt. 27 side of six mile run, with a lot full of people, when you haven't been on the bike in a month. Unless, of course, you like looping out &landing flat on your back still attached to both pedals, and getting laughed at by large numbers of total strangers. A friend of mine said that's bad. :eek:

honestly, i think i'm the un-disputed king of embarrassing by self in parking lots. :rolleyes:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
My buddy D does the nose wheelie whip thru switchbacks and Clay rides endless 1 footed manuals past me all day.Both on 29rs. I can do neither:cry:

bystickel

As mentioned, a manual is any time you lift the front wheel without pedaling, and it's one of the most useful skills you can have on the trail. There's lots of stuff I don't want the front wheel to hit, and unless I'm riding uphill(and pedaling), I'll manual to clear the front wheel. It's the key to big hops, makes riding smoother and more fun, and a version of it can also be used to help maintain/gain momentum over undulations. The easiest way over big logs starts with a manual. It's fun and it really makes riding safer.

I also hear a lot of people complain about not the difficulty of wheelying/manualing their 29er. I agree, and if my 29er didn't have normal 26er-length stays, I'd be back on the smaller wheels. Manualing is a part of my riding style that I wouldn't ever sacrifice. And I'm not some punk kid, either;)

don

I try to use manuals on any section I can find. Not to go faster and maybe to be a little smoother but just 'cause they are a lot of fun. Nose bonks off logs put a big smile on my face too and if I have my sh1t together I can get into a small manual after doing one.

It's a great bike skill to learn and master and you can do it right out your driveway. I'll hope on my little bike and do them in front of my house whenever I'm just farting around. Next I need to learn how to 180 out of them.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's only so much MTB'ing you can do with the Tripod Turn, after practing a couple of ratchet turns up at Jungle Habitat, it's time to expand my MTB knowle-base regarding the Manual (Coasting Wheelie, aka “Manual” )

What exactly is a tripod (ratchet) turn? Are we talking about when you lift up your back wheel and turn the rear end to the side?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
What exactly is a tripod (ratchet) turn?

Tripod and ratchet turns? Well, young man, they may very well be one and the same thing.
Yet they may be completely different and possibly related to geothermal admissions in flax huts.
You will probably need to consult the Great and Powerful Oz from the land of Nonsense for the real answer. Though, I think Oz might be busy with a helium leak as it's been blissfully quiet around here.

I hear a couple of the boys have been working on a instructional DVD...
if it ever hits the market, it should answer most of your questions.

Top Bottom