Do you ever think about moving out of state?

qclabrat

I'm not going to complain about New Jerseys schools, but the years we spent in Seattle area we found the school out there were well ahead of New Jersey. A solid 2 years ahead in math and technology classes. Where I live now in Hunterdon they strongly emphasize the arts. Being a scientist myself I'l less than thrilled about it.
Not sure when that was, but for the last 6-7 years many of the NJ districts are on a new STEM initiative which seems to be boosting standardized scores and getting kids to enroll in science and especially engineering majors. My older kid is one of them and she's not even good at math but still managed to get a near perfect SAT in the math section. The new curriculum in our district is working, so we're not complaining.

qclabrat

Great minds think alike. Wife and I have been trying to figure out how to make this happen as well.
you know there are other breweries not in NJ right?
I've spoke to a few and some have been open to a part time in-process chemist, but that means giving up free time like riding bikes.

one piece crank

@chemgirl - I'm also in Hunterdon (Frenchtown area, so close to you?) and the Hunterdon County Vocational School District offers the following alternative high school programs.
These programs carry their own diploma from said academy, and are now Honors accredited so students can earn college credits. I personally know sevearal students enrolled in these programs (including my son) and I strongly endorse them.

qclabrat

Is this a serious question?
I spoke with Teabagger a few weeks ago about his plans and it makes sense as he's already invested there. If you're only going to work at the brewery, there's more than a lot out there, maybe I misunderstood your comment.

qclabrat

@chemgirl - I'm also in Hunterdon (Frenchtown area, so close to you?) and the Hunterdon County Vocational School District offers the following alternative high school programs.
These programs carry their own diploma from said academy, and are now Honors accredited so students can earn college credits. I personally know sevearal students enrolled in these programs (including my son) and I strongly endorse them.
That's interesting, is this new? Reason I ask is because I know a few kids who go to the Somerset VoTech program and it seems like a similar curriculum. They are coming from Clinton and Lebanon. Great to see it's following the PLTW to earn college credits.

Supermoto

Everything is better outside of NJ. Lower cost of living, less taxes, better roads, no horrible smell, nicer people. No crazy laws.
The wife took a transfer to VA for 18 months, but we would have to come back to NJ when it was over. An opportunity came up to move to SC before the 18 months was up, but with a big financial hit. But it guaranteed we would never have to come back to NJ. It was not even a discussion about it, absolutely we will go to SC.

It really is a much better life outside of NJ.

Last edited:

one piece crank

Everything is better outside of NJ. Lower cost of living, less taxes, better roads, no horrible smell, nicer people. No crazy laws.

It really is a much better life outside of NJ

Arguable, based on what part of NJ you are referring to. Simply too many trees and open space by me, so no horrible smells...

Supermoto

Arguable, based on what part of NJ you are referring to. Simply too many trees and open space by me, so no horrible smells...

True, but you will never escape the taxes, cost and laws. There are beautiful parts of NJ. But there are equally as beautiful states that don't have the negatives all parts of NJ has

Another interesting but not surprising thing we have found down here is people are not nearly as welcoming if we tell them we are from NJ. But if we say VA, they are much more welcoming. NJ has a terrible reputation in the rest of the country

Last edited:

one piece crank

True, but you will never escape the taxes, cost and laws. There are beautiful parts of NJ. But there are equally as beautiful states that don't have the negatives all parts of NJ has

So I grew up here, and moved back a few years after college because, well, good jobs. Been here ever since. Despite traveling the country for 20 years (sales) I never found that place. We talk about it all the time, but aside from taxes, there are always hidden destination negatives for every negative you leave in NJ. We simply have not found that magic balancing point.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
what laws are so horrendous in NJ?

takes a month to buy a handgun after proper licensing?
No moto on public land?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I wondered the same thing. I think the one that I dislike the most is that I cannot buy a 55 gallon drum and burn leaves in it. Otherwise I really don't do so much on a daily basis that warrants any Fuck The Po-lice thoughts.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
We've been fortunate to live in a few cool places (San Diego, VT and ME) as well as travel a lot. Some how we are back in NJ.

As an educator I see how NJ values teachers as opposed to other states. One reason we are staying.

Another reason is family. While we don't have kids keeping us grounded, my parent's health is a concern. I need to be close to them (they retired in PA).

We sometimes complain about being here but it's home for at least the next 13 years, when I retire.

I wish I could agree with you about teaching in NJ.
My view is from the sideline. (my wife is a teacher) Her pay for the amount of college, after hours/weekend work and heart in the game is totally not worth it. It’s sad to hear that it may be even worse in other states.
You can’t do it well if you treat it like a “job”
To be effective, you have to be in the game 110%.
She is special ed so maybe that plays a big part but still...she’s totally shot.
It’s not as great a deal as everyone’s thinks with the summer off. I get the same amount of paid time off all things considered and make more money.
They are constantly fighting for a contract, pension underfunded etc.
I think educating the next generation deserves a lot more respect personally.
I know teachers don’t do it for the $$ but c’mon, Is it not one of the most important jobs out there? By the way, I’m glad that you obviously love what you do, I’d bet that you are good at it as well. It’s not a job that just anyone can do.

Supermoto

takes a month to buy a handgun after proper licensing?
No moto on public land?

Well, sticking to gun laws...it takes much longer than a month to get a pistol permit which is only good for 90 days and one gun. Plus now, 10 round limits for mags, can't carry, can't stop on the way to or home from the range with a handgun, no hollowpoints, the AWB.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well, sticking to gun laws...it takes much longer than a month to get a pistol permit which is only good for 90 days and one gun. Plus now, 10 round limits for mags, can't carry, can't stop on the way to or home from the range with a handgun, no hollowpoints, the AWB.

We've previously discussed how these are limiting the rights of gun owners.

just read-up on transport - https://www.state.nj.us/oag/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf

i understand the why, they don't want people riding around with gun(s) in the car for no reason. seems like a law which gives the LEO
the ability to use judgement. Looks like inconvenience could go either way, depending on the situation.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

Not to get too political, but for some people this is a positive aspect of NJ not a negative.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to get too political, but for some people this is a positive aspect of NJ not a negative.

LOL true.

Let's make sure we do not turn this into "I hate NJ because it's a pinko communist state" or anything. I've been around log enough to know that the match just got dropped on the tinder pile. I'm gonna step on it here.

Top Bottom