Do you ever think about moving out of state?

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The schools in NJ are top rated for special services and is part of the reason the school taxes are so high. And this is all ranges of special services, not just services for severe cases. The level of educated, "the bar", is set very high in NJ and dwarf's places like North Carolina. We have a friend who was a middle school teacher in Bridgewater, that moved to the area around Ft Brag, NC. She said that the "grade" level is 1, if not 2 levels behind what NJ is.

That being said, when we moved to PA, mind you 7 miles the way the crow flies, from Lawrence Twp public schools to Pennsbury, it was really hard for my son to get caught up the first year (4 grade) as reading and math were a level above where he was in Lawrence.

In any case, if you have school age kids, the grass may not be as green if you consider the school aspect.

I'm not going to complain about New Jerseys schools, but the years we spent in Seattle area we found the school out there were well ahead of New Jersey. A solid 2 years ahead in math and technology classes. Where I live now in Hunterdon they strongly emphasize the arts. Being a scientist myself I'l less than thrilled about it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really like NJ but don't plan to live here forever. Access to NYC, beaches, and some really awesome trails would be hard to give up though. I currently work from home and can literally work from anywhere there's Internet, so I'm hoping to take advantage of that soon. Some of my coworkers are digital nomads and just travel the world constantly. I'm trying to convince my wife to quit her job so we can travel around for a year or two. You'd think that would be an easy sell.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really like NJ but don't plan to live here forever. Access to NYC, beaches, and some really awesome trails would be hard to give up though. I currently work from home and can literally work from anywhere there's Internet, so I'm hoping to take advantage of that soon. Some of my coworkers are digital nomads and just travel the world constantly. I'm trying to convince my wife to quit her job so we can travel around for a year or two. You'd think that would be an easy sell.

buy a semi so she can bring her horses and have all her stuff with her, thatll get her on board ;)

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Nothing says, "I am sick of this f'ing winter" like this thread.

Truth. This one has been particularly difficult for me. We have had one hell of a go here in the Clarkenstein camp the past twelve months - this winter is the icing on the cake.

teabagger11

I'll be the oddball here, i want to move to NJ, already have a place outside of Cape may love the area and i want to work for Cape May Brewing which is 25 minutes by bike from my house. besides it's flat there when i'm old and tired riding will be a breeze except for the headwinds in all directions and its not far if i have the need for actual mountains

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I'll be the oddball here, i want to move to NJ, already have a place outside of Cape may love the area and i want to work for Cape May Brewing which is 25 minutes by bike from my house. besides it's flat there when i'm old and tired riding will be a breeze except for the headwinds in all directions and its not far if i have the need for actual mountains
That’s not New Jersey

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never liked “Winter” cold without snow, seems kind of pointless.

I used to think this way too, but I don't really ski or snowboard anymore, and I work from home so "snow days" are fairly irrelevant to me. I really like biking in the winter, but I don't like riding on the snow. When it's cold, the ground is firm, there are no bugs, little to no overgrowth, and a lot less sweating. Exploring/bushwhacking is much easier, you can see further through the woods, etc.

JDurk

Great minds think alike. Wife and I have been trying to figure out how to make this happen as well.

rick81721

Lothar
Some of my coworkers are digital nomads and just travel the world constantly. I'm trying to convince my wife to quit her job so we can travel around for a year or two. You'd think that would be an easy sell.

Do it now before kids/get too old. Some of our best vacations/travels were pre-kid.

Top Bottom