DO YOGA

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you've never done it, now is a perfect time to give yoga a try. You have the time, it's good for you and doing it in the privacy of your home can take some of the awkwardness out of going to a studio and feeling like a spaz in front of others.

All studios are using Zoom, or something similar. If you don't Zoom now is a good opportunity to get acquainted, everyone Zoomin.

A yoga mat is helpful but not necessary for your first class. I've practiced in these studios and like the teachers, they have different level of classes, including beginner level.

If you do practice, try this, it's advanced but powerful.

Yoga in da streets...before Social D.

FB_IMG_1566244925463.jpg

pygmypony

agree 100%....

my wife and i have been practicing with Adriene via youtube...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Local studio did a Zoom thing the other day. I didn't really like it, low production, hard to hear, regular class stucture was a bit weird as is seeing other people on their cameras.

I'd suggest Youtube. Yoga w/ Adrienne or something to start with.

But yeah, start. :)

Robin

Joined new yoga studio before all this happened. I now can stream live classes or pick from archives. Trying to get some flexibility back but also helping me be mindful.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I was doing A solid 3-4 classes before c19. Now i miss it like crazy

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find that I use the monitor very little if at all. I'm more tuned into the voice, which is the most important to me. There are some voices I like more then others, kinda like singing.

Once I find instructors I like, I choose their classes. Like doing the Times crossword puzzle, you get used to their clues or cues and can figure them out more easily.

Ideally I close my eyes and tune in, syncing movement to my breath. You could translate this to the mtb, going downhill I try to not hold my breath and flow with trail, but don't shut your eyes.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find that I use the monitor very little if at all. I'm more tuned into the voice, which is the most important to me. There are some voices I like more then others, kinda like singing.

Once I find instructors I like, I choose their classes. Like doing the Times crossword puzzle, you get used to their clues or cues and can figure them out more easily.

Ideally I close my eyes and tune in, syncing movement to my breath. You could translate this to the mtb, going downhill I try to not hold my breath and flow with trail, but don't shut your eyes.

I can see that for someone experienced. But for someone brand new, I think being able to see is important. Once you do it a few times you can definitely start to close your eyes and relax more.
The first few times I did yoga were really challenging because I was trying do everything perfect. Once I got the hang I was able to keep my focus where it should be.

Mahnken

My wife has a Peloton bike, so I get to use the Peloton app. Has a really nice assortment of yoga classes, both live and recorded. I need to start doing it more often.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can see that for someone experienced. But for someone brand new, I think being able to see is important. Once you do it a few times you can definitely start to close your eyes and relax more.
The first few times I did yoga were really challenging because I was trying do everything perfect. Once I got the hang I was able to keep my focus where it should be.

Years ago one of the first places I took yoga the instructor said it doesn't get easier, it gets harder as you do it, and I didn't understand it at the time but now think she's right.

I always say people should find a studio/instructor that does adjustments and teach the basics. It's very easy to do yoga for a long time and not really understand what the intention of a pose is. Having someone come by and move you 1" can make a world of a difference in understand and the effect of the pose. This is even more true when doing it in your living room. In your living room you can't see the other people in the room doing it correctly as a reference when you start.

That being said, I'm sure there's some good yoga videos on youtube that are along this line. But "Beginner/Basics" can mean instructions for a beginner, or it could just mean slower and easier poses, which I've found was the case in the last studio I went to and not ideal.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting, @shrpshtr325 wife also has the Peloton thing. He'd prolly have more flow on mtb if he did yoga.

yes she does have one, just got it last month, i have been playing around and trying out some of the 'floor classes', some are good, some not so much, gotta figure out which instructors are good and which to stay away from, havent tried the yoga

Captain Brainstorm

I bought this thing after they closed my Gym from Dick's, before the state shut down:

1585687866773.png

Best $35 I ever spent. You can do pullups and pushups. I do like 10-12 sets of pullups every other day, alternating days with pushups that I do with the kids sitting on my back. Fortunately I also have dumbbells for curls. Need to improvise these days, or go insane.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought this thing after they closed my Gym from Dick's, before the state shut down:

View attachment 123750

Best $35 I ever spent. You can do pullups and pushups. I do like 10-12 sets of pullups every other day, alternating days with pushups that I do with the kids sitting on my back. Fortunately I also have dumbbells for curls. Need to improvise these days, or go insane.

i should dig mine out and find a place to use it (leftover from my bachelor days, the wife doesnt appreciate it in the finished areas of the house).

maybe i can get creative with bolts and the basement ceiling . . . .

Captain Brainstorm

i should dig mine out and find a place to use it (leftover from my bachelor days, the wife doesnt appreciate it in the finished areas of the house).

maybe i can get creative with bolts and the basement ceiling . . . .
No drilling or cutting required. Comes with a little metal clip that slides in at the top do the molding, as a safety, but you don’t really need it. Physics does everything for you. It’s made by Harbinger, check it out. It’s getting me through this whole quarantine thing. This and bourbon.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No drilling or cutting required. Comes with a little metal clip that slides in at the top do the molding, as a safety, but you don’t really need it. Physics does everything for you. It’s made by Harbinger, check it out. It’s getting me through this whole quarantine thing. This and bourbon.

I have one and it lived in my bedroom doorway when I lived alone. Will need to drill or bolt to use it on my doorless basement tho....

Top Bottom