Do I need legal advice?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Some of you may already know, that my detached garage went up in flames in Jan of this year. Now I own my condo unit as well as this burnt up detached garage. The condo management and their insurance handles the rebuilding the structure. It has been boarded up for 2 and a half months now and appears like nothing has been done. I am growing more and more impatient as the days go by because I use my garage as my workshop. I did all my bike maintenance in there as well as store my bikes. I feel like the condo management has not been very active in getting a handle on this situation. For example, my insurance needed the police report of the fire so they can process my claims. The property manager said they will handle it and asked that my insurance calls him and he will provide the necessary info. From the date of the fire, weeks went by and nothing. I got sick of it and went down to the police station and got my own copy to submit to my insurance. So basically my question is, is there something I can do to apply some pressure for the condo management to take more of an active approach to getting the garage rebuilt because my complaining has fallen on deaf ears. Do I need to get a lawyer involved?

I'm not much help, but I'm hoping when the weather breaks you'll start to see some movement. You may want to contact the municipal building department to see if they have any idea of the delay. My gut says a lawyer won't help much at this point. Good luck.

Hmm... I haven't thought of that but are the cost of labor higher during the colder months?... which would make sense. If thats the case, then I get it and would be willing to wait.

What happens when you call the condo management office?

the insurance companies are probably still arguing over who is going to pay for this,
and the scope of the project may be in question.

no idea how you can apply leverage, except to form an owners group to "help" the process along, and make sure everyone is informed.
see if there is a 'loss of use' clause in your insurance - or your HOA insurance. see if you can get a reduction in fees?

unfortunately fire reconstruction when you have to deal with an insurance company & condo association take time. A lawyer can certainly help things seem like they are moving along, but you are going to have to pay for the attorney and in some cases getting one involved may be counter productive. Typically when associations get letters from residents attorneys (depending on how they are worded) they will engage their own legal counsel to protect them from potential litigation and then the process really moves at a snails pace.

My recommendation would be to continue following up with Management or the Board on a frequent basis (maybe annoyingly frequent basis) even if they can offer little insight. IF there is still little results after a reasonable time then an attorney should be considered.

This. You have to bug the management. Is your homeowners association run by owners or by profit management? I'm learning about this nonsense with our house in FL, it can be a pita getting these things to move, especially when it involves them spending money.

Last I met with the property manager, he made it sound like it would get started any day. That was 2 weeks ago. Then when I call them, all they say is it will be soon but I see nothing. Even the debris from the fire has not been cleaned up. The area is just yellow taped and that's it.
This. You have to bug the management. Is your homeowners association run by owners or by profit management? I'm learning about this nonsense with our house in FL, it can be a pita getting these things to move, especially when it involves them spending money.
Not sure.... but as far as who is responsible is pretty clear cut in my opinion. Ultimately, it is the owner of the unit that caused the fire. I mean if my claims with my insurance is settled, I can only assume the condo management's insurance should be settled too no?

the insurance companies are probably still arguing over who is going to pay for this,
and the scope of the project may be in question.

no idea how you can apply leverage, except to form an owners group to "help" the process along, and make sure everyone is informed.
see if there is a 'loss of use' clause in your insurance - or your HOA insurance. see if you can get a reduction in fees?
Checked with my insurance. Since its not a "residence", there is nothing I can claim for the loss of use.

Have you spoken with the other impacted owners? A coalition will likely be more heard than a single squawker. Also, I would involve the other members, especially ones looking to list their homes for sale this spring. The sight of burnt up garages would definitely turn me away as a prospective buyer.

Have you been going to the monthly association meetings? If not, shame on you. Those folks are the ones who gets things done in your complex. Not a fan of the bureaucracy but you need them on your side.

Set it on fire again. That'll get their attention.
Sounds like an idea but I cant... my cycling shoes are in there and... at least last I saw them, they were not affected by the fire.

Have you spoken with the other impacted owners? A coalition will likely be more heard than a single squawker. Also, I would involve the other members, especially ones looking to list their homes for sale this spring. The sight of burnt up garages would definitely turn me away as a prospective buyer.

Have you been going to the monthly association meetings? If not, shame on you. Those folks are the ones who gets things done in your complex. Not a fan of the bureaucracy but you need them on your side.
I only know 1 and he lives in FL this part of the year. The other 2, are renters and not owners and I am pretty sure the owners no longer live in the complex anymore.
The 5 or 6 years I've been here, I have not been to one meeting. It usually starts at 6 I think and I get home too late.

I was just going to write the same thing. I would attend the HOA meetings and put the pressure on them. That should get some action if they are the ones dragging their feet.

Back
Top Bottom