Do I need a new tire?

walter

Fourth Party
Got a flat on the roadie today and while it wasn't a blow out, there is quite a good gash. There was a piece of glass in the tire right on the center of the tread that put a good size hole in the tire. Is it safe to use or should I get a new tire? Its big enough that if I squeeze the tire can see right through to the tube.

thanks

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How long is the gash?

When you pump up the new tube to normal PSI, can you see the tube?

walter

Fourth Party
How long is the gash?

When you pump up the new tube to normal PSI, can you see the tube?

Not that big at all, less than a 1/4 inch. When I pump up the new tube the hole pretty much disappears. The glass was big enough that I was able to pick it out with my fingers.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Front or rear?

Personally I would still use it. But I use my tires until they look like this:

n1112505435_111032_5193.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rear is less of a concern. If you flat then you're riding on a flat rear. The front is what you want to be more concerned with.

If it's really weaker you won't last very long on your next ride. All IMO of course. I'm sure some people would replace it immediately. You can always boot it with something if you want to try to reinforce it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You will probably be good until the winter rolls around, if most people inspect their tires, they would find that there are all kinds of gashes in there, if you start flatting a bunch, replace, did I use commas improperly?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You will probably be good until the winter rolls around, if most people inspect their tires, they would find that there are all kinds of gashes in there, if you start flatting a bunch, replace, did I use commas improperly?

Comma fouls up the wazoo, but I agree, with your advice, which is, good, I think, especially about the average tire, which, I would say, is more like Swiss cheese, than not.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Walter, patch it, from the inside, with a glueless patch, or, park tire boot, just to be safe, and, if the tire, is shot, stop by my house, I have, tons of tires, you can have one, or two:D

-Jim.

BiknBen

I'd put a boot in it and forget about it.

If I can see damage on the inside of the tire, I will put a Park glueless patch on the inside of the tire. If you can clearly see daylight through the tire, I would use something like a Park tire boot. It is thicker and less flexible. It is less likely to get pushed through the hole by the tube.

walter

Fourth Party
Update- Went to Halters on Monday and picked up a pack of Park tire boots and some new tubes. Sealed off the tear in the tire with the boot and put a new tube in. The tear is still visible on the outside of the tire but its still holding air.

Got an unplanned day off today so going to go for a spin in a bit and see how it works.

I let Spencer have a tube a while back and he offered to pay me back by hookin' me up with a tire just in case. Thanks Spence!!!

BiknBen

Update- Went to Halters on Monday and picked up a pack of Park tire boots and some new tubes. Sealed off the tear in the tire with the boot and put a new tube in. The tear is still visible on the outside of the tire but its still holding air.

May be too late but here's another tip:
The Park Tire Boot is pretty big. Cut the boot to fit the size of the damage and save the rest for another time. No need to waste a 1x3 inch boot on a 1/4" hole. For something like what you described, I would have cut the boot in half. ;)

walter

Fourth Party
May be too late but here's another tip:
The Park Tire Boot is pretty big. Cut the boot to fit the size of the damage and save the rest for another time. No need to waste a 1x3 inch boot on a 1/4" hole. For something like what you described, I would have cut the boot in half. ;)

Nope, thats exactly what I did. I asked Jay as I was walking out the door and he said almost the same thing you did.

One more, when you guys refer to using dollar bills or duct tape to temporarily repair holes, is it the same theory as with the tire boot?

BiknBen

One more, when you guys refer to using dollar bills or duct tape to temporarily repair holes, is it the same theory as with the tire boot?

Yes. Any material that is not going to stretch will do the job. A dollar bill, gel/energy bar wrapper, duct tape, etc.

If using a dollar bill, just loosely wrap it around the tube as you put the tube back into the tire. Keep it loose because the tube is going to expand.

They key is to use something that doesn't stretch. Anything else will get pushed through the tire by the tube under high pressure.

Once you get home, you can reassess the damage and get a proper boot on the tire.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

yes, I have used duct tape quite often when i rode bmx as grinding rough curds/etc isn't nice on thin sidewalls. works damn fine.

Top Bottom