dj spots

warcricket

Like a Jerk
where are some good spots to quench my dirt jumping needs? i realize that most places are a secret, but are their any places that are somewhat beginner friendly? i have begun to build my own but it's going slow and none of my friends are that interested in helping out.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
where are some good spots to quench my dirt jumping needs? i realize that most places are a secret, but are their any places that are somewhat beginner friendly? i have begun to build my own but it's going slow and none of my friends are that interested in helping out.

i know that talking about DJ spots is kinda like fight club, but one that i know of that has been spoken about quite a bit online previously is the RU preserve. there are a few spots in there for some jump oriented stuff. there are a few things that are totally good for beginners/getting your form.

shouldn't be too far from you since you're in somerset.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i know that talking about DJ spots is kinda like fight club, but one that i know of that has been spoken about quite a bit online previously is the RU preserve. there are a few spots in there for some jump oriented stuff. there are a few things that are totally good for beginners/getting your form.

shouldn't be too far from you since you're in somerset.

actually, i was just about to check it out today, but got a flat :(

dhsean

This is a topic never discussed online. The people that put all the work into their jump spots are really good at keeping secrets. Just try to hook up rides with like minded people and all of the sudden you part of the secret club. It sucks but it is probably the only way to keep a DJ spot alive for more than a few weeks without it getting bull dozed.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
This is a topic never discussed online. The people that put all the work into their jump spots are really good at keeping secrets. Just try to hook up rides with like minded people and all of the sudden you part of the secret club. It sucks but it is probably the only way to keep a DJ spot alive for more than a few weeks without it getting bull dozed.

amen.

the spot is weird, i wouldn't say its a DJ spot... a lot of the stuff was built a while ago (years ago), a lot has been torn down... actually burnt down, which leads me to believe that it wasn't park maintenance that did the removal.

the preserve is also a weird spot for the folks that frequent it - lots of 'characters' walking around. i usually do x/c riding there strictly... the jumps are old, and need TLC. i haven't done any work because i dont want to do unwanted maintenance... plus i'm not good at building, so if someone is taking care of it in their own way, i'm not going to be the ass to screw it up.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
but i guess that's why we need a place like highbridge here in jersey... legal, sanctioned, maintained, and known.

don

Clarke and Sean hit it right on the head. DJ spots or "trails" by their real name are around it just that the ones that last are pretty well hidden. The good ones you won't see them in the magazines and definitely not on common websites.

For building ideas especially if you come from a big wheel perspective try ridemonkey's forum. Some good guys on there from all over the states and even europe & CAN: http://ridemonkey.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61

If you have a spot - start diggin and get 1 line running. To be honest it shouldn't take you long to get a decent 4 pack (2 sets of dubs) running. I don't know your skill level so I'm guessing you are just starting out and won't be making them real big anyway. If you can find a couple extra riders that are like minded then things will go quicker. It takes commitment - I have about 10x more dig hours than riding hours this year but I would rather dig than ride shitty terrain. Hopefully once May/June hit I'll flip that number around.

Trails are a whole 'nuther part of bike riding both in the 20" and MTB worlds. From my experience they are the best and worst thing about riding a bike if that makes sense. I'll forward some posts in here when I see them. If you have any questions - PM me...

don

but i guess that's why we need a place like highbridge here in jersey... legal, sanctioned, maintained, and known.

Highbridge would be a good start. I was thinking a place like Highland, NH. Great article about that place in this month's Decline. Actually bike parks seem to be getting a lot of press in the magazines.

I've been thinking a lot over the past 2-3 years about a private outdoor, partially indoor, bike only riding place. And have everything - like a Ray's but more outside as NJ's weather can handle it especially in central NJ. There are skateparks all over the place now - I think it's time for some bikeparks to come up.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I love the "locals only" nature of jump trails and secret freeride spots. It gives people a reason to get out there, be social, make friends, and become a *part* of something rather than everything becoming a homogenized, instantly-accessible-on-the-internet commodity. There's definitely merit to having to "earn" access, rather than just researching it.

Public jumps are a great introduction to jumping, and probably a good place to meet other like-minded folks when you're ready to step it up to something bigger and private. Due to liability concerns, no public jumps around here will ever rival the really good locals spots.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Clarke and Sean hit it right on the head. DJ spots or "trails" by their real name are around it just that the ones that last are pretty well hidden. The good ones you won't see them in the magazines and definitely not on common websites.

not true. it just wont be a feature with directions posted. the best ones in nj by far have been in ride bmx and f-action bmx, and have hosted huge jams with upwards of 60 riders and loads of people just along to watch....

don

not true. it just wont be a feature with directions posted. the best ones in nj by far have been in ride bmx and f-action bmx, and have hosted huge jams with upwards of 60 riders and loads of people just along to watch....

Agree a little bit. I know our old trails - BK - got some stuff in Ride from Dolecki but that back in '99 I think. Allan/K/Gane/TJ/ and crew had some coverage of their spot but that was a while ago as well - save for maybe a Props in '05(?). I have seen stuff on Jennings Trails a bit including the Fox tour last year.

I thought Faction quit making mags years ago and was closer to a 'zine towards the end. I honestly didn't pick it up much after it went from BMX Action to Faction.

I flip thru Ride and DIG and haven't seen any pics of the trails I know and ride here in NJ. The jams I've been too have been great but not 60 people huge. I certainly wouldn't want more than 6 people riding my spot at one time. Too much hacked lips and landings and too many cars and people parking nearby gaining attention.

But that all being said, I keep pretty local and don't know what's going on in the rest of the state. I know the local stuff is good so I'd imagine there are a lot of nuttier trails elsewhere in NJ.

don

I love the "locals only" nature of jump trails and secret freeride spots. It gives people a reason to get out there, be social, make friends, and become a *part* of something rather than everything becoming a homogenized, instantly-accessible-on-the-internet commodity. There's definitely merit to having to "earn" access, rather than just researching it.

So true. Surfers and skaters have secret spots that they guard pretty heavily. Imagine if they had to build those spots by hand and put up w/ the crap that a trail builder goes thru.

don

i started asking around and found some sick spots near by, i guess the whole secrecy thing is for the best.

Nice. Make sure to get in with the locals and ask what you can do to help - pickup litter, dig, rake, water - it all is needed at good trails.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
allan and k's spot(don't know gane or tj, been out of the scene for quite a while), jennings', your's and what were formerly referred to as the wit's end trails(fth, barry's) were all in mags. the fact that i didn't even know faction was defunct shows pretty well how long it's been....

J

Jeff

I personally think that building jumps, and I guess any track building, is one of the most enjoyable parts of riding. That feeling of satisfaction after building something functional from the ground to completion is wonderful!

Top Bottom