DIY Lights

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Diy

I'm in the process of building a dual set of halogens from parts bought from Home depot. I'll let everyone know how they work after I get them done (providing I don't get stranded in the woods when they fail and never make it out!)

Cost of dual lights: about $25.00 + batteries.

Tim

Shaggz

A strong 7
Tim, it would be real cool if you could somehow document this build with photos to post on-line, regardless of the outcome.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Shaggs,

I can't take credit for the idea, I'm just too cheap to rationalize spending more on lights than I did on my bike (almost). I'll try to document what I did, but here are the basics:

http://www.instructables.com/id/BIKE-LIGHT-500-Lumen-"Mt.Bike"-for-under-10-bucks-/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.bike-recumbent.com/headlight.shtml

I started out building the first set, but I liked the looks of the second one better. Tried using a 50W halogen bulb but got so hot it melted the solder I used to connect it (but it sure was bright!). Just ordered some 20W halogen spots that should be perfect. I'll post pics when I finish.

Also I have a spreadsheet I used to estimate run times (yes, I'm an engineer:D ) that I can email if anyone is interested.

Probably more than you wanted but...:drooling:

Tim

Shaggz

A strong 7
this is pretty cool stuff , really. we should mount your lights on sean's bamboo bike, with tires fabricated from a rubber tree, for MTBNJs first "Home Grown" bike.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Light Spreadsheet

Here is the spreadsheet. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
awesome stuff.....I might try this....as I have been postponing my light purchase for lack of funding;)

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Let me know if you do, one thing I found is that none of the stores in my area had 20W spot beams (according to everything I read floods are not what you want). I had to order some off Ebay, I can give you name of where I bought from or I will have few extra that I could give to select individuals.:D

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
Looking for a post on building your own Lights

I thought I saw a post on building a light for your bike, I cant seem to find it. I tried the SEARCH button with NO luck. Please help.

J-Dro

I built up a decent halogen light using:
- PVC parts from Home depot plumbing section
- MR-11 bulb. (I've used various wattages but I find 15W to be about the max before the PVC warps from too much heat)
- Switch & connector from Radio Shack
- Rechargeable batteries.

I have both a helmet mount version and a bar mount version and they both work well considering they cost almost nothing to build. The real cost will be the batteries. Depending what your needs are for burn time and wattage, you can get reasonably cheap AA or C Ni-mh batteries and a charger that should get you 2+ hours of trail time. If you already have rechargeable batteries laying around, then you just need to figure out a way to package them so they can survive a crash in the woods. If you're interested I can post some pics when I get a chance. You will need some basic soldering skills but its not rocket science.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
definitely post up pics and build info if you get a chance jeff! i would be really interested to see this.

J-Dro

is that bright enough in the trail just one bulb?

I built these about 3 years ago and I used 1 light on my helmet (15w) and 1 on my bar (10w). You could get away with just 1 bulb but for safety reasons I always felt better having a spare light just in case. Plus you can never have too much light at night. But I had access to cheap batteries so building up a 2nd battery pack was no big deal for me.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Full disclosure: I only use them for backups now. Someone loaned me an HID system last year and there is no going back to halogen once you are spoiled. I bought a L&M HID system and love it. I'm thinking of tinkering more with these though and converting to super bright LED's. This project is never really finished. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i have only ever used one light/bulb while night riding. back on the old vistalight halogen system and with my current nite rider hid system.

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
Thanks for the info guys, Please post pics of them, I cant see spending a couple of hundred bucs for maybe using the light a few times. Plus I love tinkering with stuff, great satisfaction when it works too.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Finished

Well, here they are. I still haven't been out to try them out, but they don't look too bad. Hopefully they hold up. Any questions let me know.

Tim

Wobbegong

Well, here they are. I still haven't been out to try them out, but they don't look too bad. Hopefully they hold up. Any questions let me know.

Tim

I have a question, when are we riding Six Mile to test them out?! I'm very interested to see how they work. Wednesday night maybe??

Top Bottom