DIY carbon frame repair

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Got bored and decided to attempt to repair a cracked Tarmac frame that’s been hanging here for years. Sold this to a friend who got hit by a car on day 3 of ownership. Insurance bought him a new one.

Figured if this stays together it will make the perfect trainer bike.

Forgot a before picture, but this is after I just started sanding it down.

35B3BB2F-2255-4BC6-B85B-E863C18548BD.jpeg

Bought a diy carbon repair kit on eBay for $24.

Mixed the ingredients and did 2 wraps of carbon.

diy1.jpg

3CB21B82-35DC-4C1D-B757-808B519F9361.jpeg

Wrapped in electrical tape and let it sit over night.

diytape.jpg

Then sanded a bunch. Could have done better on the sanding, but this was really just a test.

diy3.jpg

diy4.jpg

Hopefully this doesn't blow apart the first time I stand on the trainer.

Surprisingly fun and easy to do.

Got bored and decided to attempt to repair a cracked Tarmac frame that’s been hanging here for years. Sold this to a friend who got hit by a car on day 3 of ownership. Insurance bought him a new one.

Figured if this stays together it will make the perfect trainer bike.

Forgot a before picture, but this is after I just started sanding it down.

View attachment 78905

Bought a diy carbon repair kit on eBay for $24.

Mixed the ingredients and did 2 wraps of carbon.

View attachment 78914

View attachment 78908

Wrapped in electrical tape and let it sit over night.

View attachment 78915

Then sanded a bunch. Could have done better on the sanding, but this was really just a test.

View attachment 78916

View attachment 78917

Hopefully this doesn't blow apart the first time I stand on the trainer.

Surprisingly fun and easy to do.
video please

thanks for sharing!

toxic in any way? fumes? gloves? mask?

hand sand? grits used?

No severe toxic warnings. Said drink milk if you accidentally swallow. I kept my mouth closed. No smell at all. Wore gloves because sticky.

Sanded by hand with whatever was laying around. I think with actual effort it could look close to perfect. If I were truly concerned I would have gone thru a progression of grits, but I just grabbed one course and one fine, then called it good enough.

Interesting, do you need to align the frame in anyway? Seems your first pic showed a substantial gap.

Interesting, do you need to align the frame in anyway? Seems your first pic showed a substantial gap.

I had pulled it apart for the photo. Everything was still in alignment before and after. Wheel slides right in and sit straight. I'll be using this on a Cycleops Hammer, so no rear wheel, but plenty of stress if I try to stand and sprint. Maybe I should video this.

cool experiment always wondered if carbon repair was legit but I dont think i would ever ride it outside.

look into making a "rocker plate" for under the trainer. there's tons of info out there on youtube etc.. some folks turned this into a business.

Basically it takes the stress of the frame and gives you more of a road feel from what I read. I dont have the room to leave the trainer in one place or i would build one.

good luck looks good.

I would think that hammering on a no-rear-wheel trainer puts as much or more load on a seatstay than riding on the road would. Nice project. Any idea how the wall thickness of the repair compares to what was there before?

I would think that hammering on a no-rear-wheel trainer puts as much or more load on a seatstay than riding on the road would. Nice project. Any idea how the wall thickness of the repair compares to what was there before?
Agreed. Sean broke his Kona on a trainer I think. I feel like it makes the frame stiff in the areas not usually designed for it. The BB flex looks crazy looking down on my Soma Smoothie the few times I had it on a wheel on trainer.

Back
Top Bottom