discuss electric bikes

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw this in the supermarket....no other bike magazines, just this one

eKUdq5J.jpg

Ian F

An e-bike for commuting is definitely an interesting prospect. According to Google, a bike route from home to the office in PA is around 26 or 27 miles. I would need to do a recon drive or ride to see if it is a reasonably safe route . If so, I could conceivably do the ride in about 1.5 hrs. on an e-bike. I can probably figure out some way to recharge it for the ride home here in the office.

I don't want to think about an inexperienced rider on an e-bike at 6MR. Imagine what Orange trail would be like on a bike that could accelerate so easily? Get a little behind in your sight-lines and "Bam!" You're planted into a tree.

grilledcheeseking

An e-bike for commuting is definitely an interesting prospect. According to Google, a bike route from home to the office in PA is around 26 or 27 miles. I would need to do a recon drive or ride to see if it is a reasonably safe route . If so, I could conceivably do the ride in about 1.5 hrs. on an e-bike. I can probably figure out some way to recharge it for the ride home here in the office.

Definitely do the route recon. I really thought about ebike when my commute jumped from 10 to 30 miles each way. I've explored the various routes on my regular bike and determined that I don't really want to pedal thru South Jersey suburban hell every day, it's just not very enjoyable riding. If I can come up with a more rural route I may reconsider.

Ian F

Yeah... It's rather strange how a 52 mile commute from Croydon, PA to the Somerset, NJ office is more conducive to biking than to Blue Bell, PA.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
For commuting why not just buy a used motorcycle, some type of dual purpose bike? Your not getting the fitness benefit of a regiular bike, and you have traffic still coming up from behind. Moto is safer in that regard, plus you save on insurance, gas, less mileage on your car.

grilledcheeseking

For commuting why not just buy a used motorcycle, some type of dual purpose bike? Your not getting the fitness benefit of a regiular bike, and you have traffic still coming up from behind. Moto is safer in that regard, plus you save on insurance, gas, less mileage on your car.
Yup, I moto instead. Less fitness benefit than bike or ebike but still get to be on two wheels. With how long moto tires and stuff last / how much they cost I'm not sure I'm saving anything, but the ride is the point!

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
8AC1EDE9-0A4C-4BC9-98DE-719110FFC54F.jpeg
43349FEC-ECDA-4599-B187-3F206BD9BD24.jpeg

My son was pretty stoked to ride this electric road bike at the Philly bike expo. I think it was a BMC. I rode the same model and it had a low/medium/high assist. The assist dumped out somewhere around 20 mph. It was pretty crazy how fast you can get up to 20 mph with limited physical output and it kicks in as soon as you put pressure on the pedals. The ride was smooth.

At some place like 6 mile or Mercer, it would be a big increase in avg speed with all of the snapping out of corners having an assist and where speeds don’t get over 20 mph very often.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I assume that routed you straight up the canal, which is pretty much a straight line. The e bike would give alittle more peace of mind going through that shit hole Trenton.
I don't want to think about an inexperienced rider on an e-bike at 6MR. Imagine what Orange trail would be like on a bike that could accelerate so easily? Get a little behind in your sight-lines and "Bam!" You're planted into a tree.

Top Bottom