discuss electric bikes

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Not unless its makes noise......they might be better...but nobody is going to pay to watch it.

Nobody is going to a stadium to watch this, monster trucks, drag cars, etc unless they are loud.

These will for sure surpass the performance of gas powered MX bikes in the next decade. Once run times go up to 2 hrs I’m buying one for certain.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
These will for sure surpass the performance of gas powered MX bikes in the next decade. Once run times go up to 2 hrs I’m buying one for certain.
oh ya, I agree...I think the performance will surpass the ICE powered bikes that currently exist. Especially bikes...lot of advantages in not only weight, but weight distribution. But supercross/moster trucks/nitro cars are nothing in terms of a spectator sport without the soundtrack.

PRus

Just came back from one week in Switzerland. About half the bikes I saw where e-bikes. Lots of e-bike commuter's. Some go 30 miles per hour.
But from MTB friends comments there is also some disagreement about having E-MTB'kes on trails.

BCurry

Saw an e-unicycle going through town the other day. The guy was doing around 20mph, pretty wild.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I’m a live and let live kind of guy. However, if there are no opinions then the threads won’t exist. Since I am no expert on e bikes my opinion is only based on my limited knowledge of the subject. I’ve met a few people that were riding ebikes on different NY trail systems and were doing so to help with climbing due to health issues. One guy I know was riding an ebike while fighting a bad illness and now switched back to a regular mountain bike after recovering. By the way, he is now one of the fastest people on the mountain. As previously discussed these bikes are not ripping up the trails. 1. They are not powerful enough and 2. The extra weight probably helps with traction. Strong riders probably spin their wheels more on regular bikes. Question, what do we call non e bikes - regular, traditional, manual, legacy, human powered, pre e??
When cars came out in the late 1800s it is alleged that people would yell “get a horse”! What do you yell now? Of course yelling is not polite so maybe one would make a suggestion. I am lucky to enjoy regular bikes but if and when the time comes that I need one, you bet I’ll be the first one in line to buy an e bike.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’m a live and let live kind of guy. However some , if there are no opinions then the threads won’t exist. Since I am no expert on e bikes my opinion is only based on my limited knowledge of the subject. I’ve met a few people that were riding ebikes on different NY trail systems and were doing so to help with climbing due to health issues. One guy I know was riding an ebike while fighting a bad illness and now switched back to a regular mountain bike after recovering. By the way, he is now one of the fastest people on the mountain. As previously discussed these bikes are not ripping up the trails. 1. They are not powerful enough and 2. The extra weight probably helps with traction. Strong riders probably spin their wheels more on regular bikes. Question, what do we call non e bikes - regular, traditional, manual, legacy, human powered, pre e??
When cars came out in the late 1800s it is alleged that people would yell “get a horse”! What do you yell now? Of course yelling is not polite so maybe one would make a suggestion. I am lucky to enjoy regular bikes but if and when the time comes that I need one, you bet I’ll be the first one in line to buy an e bike.

I’ve heard people call non-ebikes analog or acoustic bikes. Both are pretty funny.

As a side.. we’ve bit the bullet and added a large pivot shuttle to our demo fleet this season. If you are ebike curious, this bike will help make a more educated decision about what an ebike is and is not.

F9EDEBA0-C39D-46EC-81C7-F69D2E3127FF.jpeg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve heard people call non-ebikes analog or acoustic bikes. Both are pretty funny.

As a side.. we’ve bit the bullet and added a large pivot shuttle to our demo fleet this season. If you are ebike curious, this bike will help make a more educated decision about what an ebike is and is not.

View attachment 107410
im going to guess that this bike is ~10lbs lighter than your moterra?

Ian F

This looks neat, but... why? Why build an road-focused e-bike without fenders and rack mounts? I guess the point of this bike is so slower riders can keep up with their Cat 1 racer friends?

My "dream" e-bike: similar to the Specialized, but with rack mounts front & rear, longer wheelbase, mounts for a frame pump behind the seat tube, a dynamo front hub to recharge the battery when descending, power outlets from the main battery to also power lights and charge accessories. Okay, I know the pump mount is probably asking for too much, but the other ideas shouldn't be too hard.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This looks neat, but... why? Why build an road-focused e-bike without fenders and rack mounts? I guess the point of this bike is so slower riders can keep up with their Cat 1 racer friends?

My "dream" e-bike: similar to the Specialized, but with rack mounts front & rear, longer wheelbase, mounts for a frame pump behind the seat tube, a dynamo front hub to recharge the battery when descending, power outlets from the main battery to also power lights and charge accessories. Okay, I know the pump mount is probably asking for too much, but the other ideas shouldn't be too hard.

none of that stuff bc this one is built for crushing KOMs with less effort . . . .

one piece crank

I'm thinking an e-cargo-bike could be the attractive gateway. I never go anywhere in a vehicle without hauling a bunch of stuff (e.g more than I would take on a typical ride). My commute is 15-miles each way, but add a stop or two on at least one leg. If I didn't have to wear a backpack, could still carry a fair amount of stuff, and minimize arriving soaking wet..?

But $5k on an eBike is $5k that could go toward a fun, gasoline-powered, car/truck off my wish list! Unlike @THATmanMANNY , I feel a responsibility to force the advancement of technology by consuming as much fossil fuel as possible o_O

Captain Brainstorm

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't get this e-bike thing at all. I see a desperate industry attempt to create a new segment to generate more sales in a flat market, between this and the constant geometry changes designed to convince you that your bike is outdated and you need a new one. I'll concede that if you are a hard-core commuter, I can fathom the utility of an e-bike for the road, but for MTB, I don't get it (unless you have a debilitating illness or injury). Part of the core ethos of this sport used to be earning your turns, a good descent was your reward for grinding up a hard climb, and that hard climb often limits traffic on a particular descent, at least in some of the places that I ride. If you'tr able bodied and can't keep up with your friends, train harder. If training time is limited, get a trainer or go to the gym at 9:00pm after the kids are in bed.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Maybe I'm just old, but I don't get this e-bike thing at all. I see a desperate industry attempt to create a new segment to generate more sales in a flat market, between this and the constant geometry changes designed to convince you that your bike is outdated and you need a new one. I'll concede that if you are a hard-core commuter, I can fathom the utility of an e-bike for the road, but for MTB, I don't get it (unless you have a debilitating illness or injury). Part of the core ethos of this sport used to be earning your turns, a good descent was your reward for grinding up a hard climb, and that hard climb often limits traffic on a particular descent, at least in some of the places that I ride. If you'tr able bodied and can't keep up with your friends, train harder. If training time is limited, get a trainer or go to the gym at 9:00pm after the kids are in bed.
Your bike is outdated(just kidding).

goldsbar

I could see it for commuting. Give me a bike with nice fat slicks or semi slicks and full fenders with racks. Maybe even waste some of that battery power on heated grips for the winter. Still, unless there's some huge cultural shift in this country/state, I'm not going back to commuting by bike again.

eMTB? I'd rather have a full on e-MX bike if only they were legal anywhere remotely close. Where do you ride those things legally (the answer is not Stephens)? Figure I'd also have to buy a trailer or pickup to move the thing around. I'll stick with pedaling. Good challenge uphill and a still get the thrills downhill.

Captain Brainstorm

Your bike is outdated(just kidding).

You know, I almost bought into that until I demoed a brand-spanking new Santa Cruz, for an entire month due to shock issues with my bike. The only thing outdated on my bike is the non-boost axle standard, but I have no issue fitting 2.5's, and 2.6 is definitely not for me. I got that Santa Cruz fully expecting to buy it afterwards, because long reach, slacker head, etc. Long story short, the first day back on my bike and I get 3 PR's. I still want a new bike, eventually, but definitely won't be getting one until I demo all of the contenders.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
You know, I almost bought into that until I demoed a brand-spanking new Santa Cruz, for an entire month due to shock issues with my bike. The only thing outdated on my bike is the non-boost axle standard, but I have no issue fitting 2.5's, and 2.6 is definitely not for me. I got that Santa Cruz fully expecting to buy it afterwards, because long reach, slacker head, etc. Long story short, the first day back on my bike and I get 3 PR's. I still want a new bike, eventually, but definitely won't be getting one until I demo all of the contenders.
I’ve seen you occasionally on Strava when I’m at Ringwood. You blast down those trails. My Turner Sultan is getting old (5 years old and the original design is from 2009) so I am also doing the demo route before switching brands. Just so comfortable to ride(upright seating position) that I have been intentionally slow in finding a replacement. High bottom bracket, very long chain stay, short top tube with with a steep head angle makes for some odd handling characteristics. Tuner no longer makes a 29er trail bike so I’m trying out different brands. The modern geometry bikes with low bottom brackets and short chain stays make for great handling but I have to get used to the lower clearance. Just replaced the drivetrain on my bike yesterday so I have more time to shop...

one piece crank

...I have been intentionally slow in finding a replacement. High bottom bracket, very long chain stay, short top tube with with a steep head angle makes for some odd handling characteristics. Tuner no longer makes a 29er trail bike so I’m trying out different brands. The modern geometry bikes with low bottom brackets and short chain stays make for great handling but I have to get used to the lower clearance...

Not a fan of modern BB position. I can guarantee I'll never get rid of my Banshee...

Captain Brainstorm

I’ve seen you occasionally on Strava when I’m at Ringwood. You blast down those trails. My Turner Sultan is getting old (5 years old and the original design is from 2009) so I am also doing the demo route before switching brands. Just so comfortable to ride(upright seating position) that I have been intentionally slow in finding a replacement. High bottom bracket, very long chain stay, short top tube with with a steep head angle makes for some odd handling characteristics. Tuner no longer makes a 29er trail bike so I’m trying out different brands. The modern geometry bikes with low bottom brackets and short chain stays make for great handling but I have to get used to the lower clearance. Just replaced the drivetrain on my bike yesterday so I have more time to shop...

You'll no longer see me on Strava, I'm given it up for a while, if not forever, and just tracking my progress on my Garmin. I suffered a serious concussion earlier this month riding somewhere else, and I need to chill a bit and not ride all out, all the time. My last couple of Strava-less rides were pretty awesome.

As far as Turner goes, I'm waiting for them to come out with new bikes, but after a conversation with Dave himself, it isn't giving me much hope, he can't afford to keep up with the latest in mountain bike fashion like the bigger guys. He hasn't completely thrown the towel in yet though, so I'm holding onto a glimmer of hope. Santa Cruz is definitely not for me, I'm spoiled on DW-Link, and after riding Horst-Link and single-pivot for 15yrs, don't plan on going back to that. I'd like to try out the Ibis Ripmo and new HD-4. I'd consider a Yeti, but I break frames, and after someone else on this forum had warranty issues, I'm a little leery. Other issue is that those dealers are not nearby where I live, and they cost $$$$$. I think we need to move this conversation to a new thread, don't want to keep derailing this one.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
You'll no longer see me on Strava, I'm given it up for a while, if not forever, and just tracking my progress on my Garmin. I suffered a serious concussion earlier this month riding somewhere else, and I need to chill a bit and not ride all out, all the time. My last couple of Strava-less rides were pretty awesome.

As far as Turner goes, I'm waiting for them to come out with new bikes, but after a conversation with Dave himself, it isn't giving me much hope, he can't afford to keep up with the latest in mountain bike fashion like the bigger guys. He hasn't completely thrown the towel in yet though, so I'm holding onto a glimmer of hope. Santa Cruz is definitely not for me, I'm spoiled on DW-Link, and after riding Horst-Link and single-pivot for 15yrs, don't plan on going back to that. I'd like to try out the Ibis Ripmo and new HD-4. I'd consider a Yeti, but I break frames, and after someone else on this forum had warranty issues, I'm a little leery. Other issue is that those dealers are not nearby where I live, and they cost $$$$$. I think we need to move this conversation to a new thread, don't want to keep derailing this one.
It’s OK, I do it all the time ?

Top Bottom