discuss electric bikes

Wrong office. I don't work in Somerset anymore. I transferred to our main office in Blue Bell, PA. After a decade and a half, commuting over an hour through central NJ finally beat me.

Actually, I'm back in Portsmouth, NH again. And it's been as cold and rainy up there as down here.

This just in from great state of Colorado
IMG_4035.jpg

A motorcycle is also another engine to feed. Another vehicle to register and insure. And you need a MC license. Some folks might need a place to store it at home (vs. an e-bike which can go indoors easily). Motorcycles definitely have their place, but the comparison to e-bikes is apples-oranges.

second day on the swagtron
Cons: Just a little faster than my Dahon 20" singlespeed. Maybe bought me a couple to 5 min. A little clumsy to fold and carry with the big rectangular toptube. Needs larger throttle grip. Feels like it loses noticeable power/speed after 50% state of charge. I’m probably at the maximum height for this.
Pros: Way less effort with Pedal assist or throttle only. However, I noticed the pedal assist plus throttle is a little faster than just throttle only or pedal assist only. This helps with the new hills the greenway added by the boat basin and great for this shitty weather and headwinds. It is fun riding a limited moto basically. I’ve always just been throttle on the whole time, not pedaling or pedaling .
Overall: I wanted this bike to get me to work faster and sweat less. It's accomplished both but not fast as I would like (coming from a pedal assist 20mph 29er). I need to look into hacking it if possible since it's Limited to 15mph. I should download an app to track speed. 4 out of 5 stars because of the cons
10244C97-9CEA-4D33-82F6-3C391D3831D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really an e-bike, but still has two wheels and a handle bar...

I had the luxury of cruising around Nashville on one of these electric Bird scooters. (stock internet photo)

1562843625538.png

These and other brands are everywhere in Nashville. Download that companies app, put in your credit card, scan the QR code, give it a few kicks twist the throttle and your off. Single cable pull rear brake to stop. Topped out at like 23 mph going down a slight hill. There are "reduced speed zones" which necked it down to about 13 mph based on GPS location. Got my fat ass up some pretty substantial hills with no problem, at like 4 mph which was faster than walking. Super steep stuff you have to give a few extra kicks but still dragged me up the hill. Pretty fun way to cruise around town. When you're done, park it off the road, stop the ride in the app, take a picture of it through the app and that's it. See another one down the block, rinse and repeat.

Quick google search had these models are like $1300, and I'd guess you'd get about an hour out of a full charge. There are most likely knock offs you could get for cheaper.

Are you business minded?? You can make money with these! You can request a charger from bird, then get paid to charge them and put them back out on the street by 7AM. So guys have vans and trailers to pick them up by the dozens.

Local bar workers and construction guys were riding these all over to get in and out of work.

City of Nashville has stated they are getting rid of them after some a person or two got killed. My guess is due to the lack of bike lane infrastructure and people being idiots. If they had full bike lanes and people weren't stupidly riding from double yellow to fog line. Very few people where helmets, if any at all, i'll admit, I didn't. I did get thanked by some driver because I used hand signals to make turns.

If you are a city commuter or live close to work, not a bad way to commute. Fun to cruise around on and could be more popular if there was bike lane infrastructure to go with it. If I ever get that mile long driveway, would be a good way to pick up the mail.

I did hear that these are in Hoboken, but since I never go there...

Back
Top Bottom