disc recco's?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone have a preferred brand for discs? Is one brand THE brand (like, say the XTR of discs)? With all the funky patterns out there, I'm sure that not all of them are created equal. Since I'm getting a new wheel set (and was "coerced" into lending my old one out...:D) I figured I may as well upgrade them. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

walter

Fourth Party
Jake, on my Cannondale I have Avid Juicy Carbons. On the now defunct Mary, and on my soon to be new bike I have Magura Louises. Hands down I prefer the Maguras over the Avids. They feel better, dont make any noise and stop (when needed) on a dime. I am so disappointed with the Juicys that at one point I was going to put the Avid Mechanicals back on.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks folks...maybe I asked the question wrong. I'm not looking to ugrade my brakes just yet, only the rotors. One day at LM some guy was telling me that his rotors were x% lighter than stock...bla,bla,bla...so I was curious.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm now in the camp that doesn't really like Avid Juicy brakes anymore. I have a new rotor on the front, and new pads, and the mechanicals on the other bike seem to work better. This may be an offseason upgrade for me.

That doesn't help, I know. I think you want/need to buy rotors that are compatible with your pads? Are all rotors equal? I didn't think so but I'm not certain on that.

D

DANSPANK

I think with rotors you need to look for ones that cool faster as they have better stopping power.

I'm sure Norm is right in that pads have to be matched to rotors to some degree. And you may want to consider a 7" rotor up front for added stopping power.

I have Magura Louises and like them a lot. I do get squeal from the rear rotor but that helps me figure out which break I'm using. I'm still used to the reverse set-up that I had in the UK where the front break is on the right.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I have Magura Louises and like them a lot. I do get squeal from the rear rotor but that helps me figure out which break I'm using. I'm still used to the reverse set-up that I had in the UK where the front break is on the right.

You should be able to just swap the levers from side to side so you have the "motorcycle" aka UK backasswards setup.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
weight wise there's very little difference between most rotors at a given size. i'm a real weight weenie (not proud to say) and I didn't bother getting the Stans or Alligator rotors. 15g ain't squat.

Engignar

I have to agree with Fred on the Hope floating rotors. I just replaced my Hayes rotors with them and the increase in bite was very noticable. I seem to have more "feel" through the rotor as well.

I paid $63 each from monkamoo.com

PS - They look badass, which we all know is more important anyway

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
alligators, those are the ones that guy was talking about! how could i forget that.

ok, fawking a, $80 for A rotor?? that's wasted money like chroming the inside of an oilpan on a jeep.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
uh, no. i'd be surprised if there was actually OIL in the bottom of my oilpan right now!

unless you are (or have been) into jeeps, you'd be shocked at what people spend money on.

Top Bottom