Disc Brakes;

mcim29

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and shifters, I have a 07 stumpy that came with Juicy 5's not really crazy about them. I have had all sorts of problems with them already. I'm looking to upgrade any suggestions???

Thanks,:cry:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and shifters, I have a 07 stumpy that came with Juicy 5's not really crazy about them. I have had all sorts of problems with them already. I'm looking to upgrade any suggestions???

Thanks,:cry:

technically this would be a downgrade, but if you want something that requires a lot less maintenance and that when it does can be done simply (read: no brake bleeding) you could go for mechanicals...

Suhr40

I have juicy fives on two of my bikes. I have one other bike with juicy carbons. I think the fives are pretty much as good as the carbons. I've yet to have a problem with either and I have never bled them. I just changed the pads after about a year and a half and raced all season with them. I often neglect my brakes and the fives are thus far able to withstand my abuse. Upgrading to save weight, increase the feel, or if you have a defective set is one thing, but really examine your setup to make sure that it's required. Brakes ain't cheap. If you have a specific setup problem with them maybe I can help.

mcim29

Well, the levers always tend to loosen up and get very shaky also the kick back on the levers are very slow. I have taken them apart and reinstalled them and where fine for a ride or two but loosened once again. I have also bleed them.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
The new Elixirs may be worth a look. One problem with the juicy's is that the reservoir was just not quite large enough and if there is the smallest pocket of air in the brake, it's gonna make its way in the line. The elixirs have a larger reservoir and the lever is also a bit different. As for lever return, in my experiences, every manufacturer has issues with this. Honestly, I guess it's never bothered me enough on my bikes to justify taking apart the brake. I have tried a little teflon on the bushings in the past, but a very light coating.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I like the XTs alot, just not centerlock rotors. Maguras are one of the lightest brakes out there, but pretty tempermental. As far as lever hang up goes, martas are probably the worst. The sl's with the carbon levers are worst of all. Xts are a good choice

The Kalmyk

As far as lever hang up goes, martas are probably the worst. The sl's with the carbon levers are worst of all.

So you have see this happen often with the SL's? What can one do to prevent lever hang ups on these particular brakes? I have these brakes on my bike and will add this in to the maintenance with some advice.

mcim29

Hey Town,
what would you upgrade to as far as shifters go? I have sram x-9 on my 07 stumpy.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I wouldn't worry about your shifters much X-7 paired with X-9 rear derail should do you pretty good for awhile. Your money woud be better spent on a carbon handlebar.

Why the need to upgrade? I always have a major case of upgradeitis but you won't notice that much difference between the x-7 and x-9 shifters, x-0 would be a different story but they are mucho $.

mcim29

To much ghost shifting on hills or fast straight a ways. So you think just do a brake up grade. Which bars do you recommend. Sorry for all the questions just want the bike to be perfect.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
To much ghost shifting on hills or fast straight a ways. So you think just do a brake up grade. Which bars do you recommend. Sorry for all the questions just want the bike to be perfect.

how old/how many miles on the bike? the ghost shifter most likely isnt the shifters or rear derail, it probably is the chain/cassette combo from wear or could be the adjustment on your rear derail or even a slightly bent derail hanger.

take it to a shop and have them adjust it and in the spring get new cables and housing if needed.

Easton moneky lite bars are what I have and I am happy with them. These are my first carbon bars though so I have nothing to compare it to. I have also heard good things about the FSA bars.

mcim29

My Stumpy is about 2 years old as far as the miles go never really kept track of it. I just got in to MTB about 3 years ago and I love it. This year would be the time to shed lots of LBS....and try a few races. I have taken it to a few place and never really found a mechanic that solved the problems. This is why I would like to upgrade a few things on the bike. Overall the bike is awesome!!!!

Where do you normally ride? I'm from Clifton I usually go to LM or Ringwood..

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am in the central part of the state and never really get up north. Some of the other people on here and direct you to a good shop as Halters is a hike for you. You probably have a worn chain and if it is stretched enough, it may have worn your cassette to, causing the ghost shifting. A shop can measure your chain for you and tell you if it is stretched too much.

Top Bottom