Disc Brakes;

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
So you have see this happen often with the SL's? What can one do to prevent lever hang ups on these particular brakes? I have these brakes on my bike and will add this in to the maintenance with some advice.

The carbon levers have a tighter tolerance in the lever body than the aluminum ones. You can either switch the levers to aluminum, or take the levers out and take a file to the little bushings on the sides of the lever.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Hey Town,
what would you upgrade to as far as shifters go? I have sram x-9 on my 07 stumpy.

If you're 07 and you have gear indicators on the shifters, it could explain some shifting issues. With my experience with these, it's not alway ghost shifting, but it's the shifter not engaging into the next gear. The shifters are a fairly far throw and "soft" feeling. There is no crisp audible click to let you know you're in the gear. If that's what you're experiencing, then you can go with the new x-9 or x-0s. If it's simply ghost shifting, check cables, tension, der hanger, and just make sure there are no kinks in the chain or warps in the cassette.

mcim29

I do have gear indicators on the bike. That might very well be the issue, because when shifting up hills it sometimes skips a gear or two or the chain will POP. The bike is still pretty new as I am to biking.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Town,
what would you upgrade to as far as shifters go? I have sram x-9 on my 07 stumpy.

I just bought a 07 stumpy too on the used market and my front shifter busted. I replaced it with x.0 twist shifter and couldn't be happier. Some people don't like twist, but I like them and they are a lot cheaper. I got a pair so might replace the rear shifter too, but not sure yet. Here is a thread on mtbr (mostly people who like twisters):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=433705

Top Bottom