DirtRag's Dirtfest 2014

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Okay -- the holidays are over and we are now into 2014. Time to look ahead to this year's events.

One of the mountain biking highlights of 2014 for me will be Dirtrag's Dirtfest at Lake Raystown. This year's event is sponsored by Niner Bikes. Last year, we had a ton of fun! Who is planning on going to this?

Dawn and I are planning on bringing our camper and staying at the Ridge Loop in the Seven Points Campground with a group of friends. :D

rustynuts

I would love to go. The last two years something always important gets in my way. This year I am planning on attending, no matter what. Just have to figure out the specifics.

Bikeaholic

Dirtrag dirtfest

I went last year and it was by far the best time i have had in a long time!!!! I am going with some friends again this year. I am looking for a camper as we speak. Raystown is awesome!

Off The Road Again

I might go to DirtRag DirtFest this year. Been to Raystown a few times - a couple times for DirtFest, and a couple times just because that place is so much fun!!!! If you're serious about biking, camping for the Fest is tough - lot's of partying into the wee hours of the night. That's all cool, tho, I do enjoy the Troeg's. Makes it hard to get up at 6, cook an awesome camp breakfast, and go off on a 26-28 mile ride. Last time we rode 'Fest we logged somewhere between 60-80 miles of riding (some more, some less) so we're there to ride! I think it would be very cool to rent a houseboat, but they're expensive and go quick. Benefit of camping is you're just a long, grueling road climb to the trailhead...
Either way, very fun event and great trails to ride!

Robin

We have toyed with the idea of going. But its the same weekend as the JH race. And lance may have a road race that weekend too. Heard awesome things about it. Just wondering how chaotic the trails/traffic get.

Rusty

I am a big fan of going the week/weekend after dirt fest. Trails perfect, no one there. Guess I am unsociable and prefer peace and quiet in the woods.

MikeP

I am a big fan of going the week/weekend after dirt fest. Trails perfect, no one there. Guess I am unsociable and prefer peace and quiet in the woods.

Agreed. It's not being anti social but the facilities can't handle that many people. My friends sent the last 2 years, primitive camping is not for me. Stayed at 7 Points when I went, in Ridge, very nice campground.

YoBikeLady

I went last year and braced myself for what I thought would be a hectic/chaotic time and it was awesome. Zero problems getting there. Pulled into the campground(the one that is a little removed from the festival) where Mitch and friends already set up camp. Rode to the trails from there. Took a school bus to the festival in the evening. Returned to the camp via school bus. I didn't find the trails annoyingly crowded. Everyone is very happy(or drunk) out there.

Rusty

Reserve one of the campsites on the north side of the Ridge Campground and you can ride out of the back of the site right onto the trail. There is also a newish trail (probably to prevent what I just suggested) that runs from near the entrance to Ridge Campground right to the trail.

ebineezer

I signed up. Really looking forward to it as I have never been there before.

Btw...what is the best bike to bring? I'm assuming a hardtail...

Last edited:

Off The Road Again

I've camped at 7 Points Campground a few times, not too bad for camping, but potty facilities were pretty rank - woods were much better. Last time, our site extended down to the lake so we had access to a quick bath - or hiked a little bit up to some rocks to jump off into the lake. There are shower facilities at a neighboring camp area, requires shuttle bus, but usually save that for the Sunday after-ride shower before driving home.
Trails never seemed hectic or congested despite the number of people. JMartz nailed it when he said most people are there to party and not fit to ride. We hit the trails early in the morning so not many are out yet. Camping does get a bit noisy at night and you can get a contact high, if that's your thing, but you're close to the festivities and trailhead.
Trails are super smooth, flowy - much like Kingdom Trails if you're familiar with them in VT.
Ebineezer- whatever bike you feel most comfortable on is fine for these trails. Hardtail is perfect, don't need the excessive squish of a fully, but a FS is sweet when you want to bomb down the whoops of Ray's Revenge, Osprey, and Hydro Loop - suspension sucks it up at bottom of whoop and springs you up for the next set. Overall, really fun place to ride.

mcim29

Anyone know any good close places to rent? I was looking to renting Grand Old Lady (THE POST OFFICE) but it's booked seems like a lot is booked already. Any recommendations?:hmmm:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I've camped at 7 Points Campground a few times, not too bad for camping, but potty facilities were pretty rank - woods were much better.

That is definately an issue. There is only 1 toilet for the entire loop in Ridge!

That is not that much of an issue for Dawn and me. Our camper has a potty in it. :D Roughing it, eh? Well, we actually don't camp to just camp. Our trailer acts like a forward operating base for mountain biking, so its all good, be it in Raystown or Moab. :)

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is not that much of an issue for Dawn and me. Our camper has a potty in it. :D Roughing it, eh? Well, we actually don't camp to just camp. Our trailer acts like a forward operating base for mountain biking, so its all good, be it in Raystown or Moab. :)

Looks like I'll be heading out as well with my trusty Griswold camper. Got a spot at Ridge. Looks like this may be the place to be that weekend!!

Make sure to bring your lights for some midnight rides.

mcim29

That is definately an issue. There is only 1 toilet for the entire loop in Ridge!

Looks like I'll be heading out as well with my trusty Griswold camper. Got a spot at Ridge. Looks like this may be the place to be that weekend!!

Make sure to bring your lights for some midnight rides.

I'll be BLOWING up Allamuchy Joe's and Reggie's camper up....:getsome:

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
I'll be BLOWING up Allamuchy Joe's and Reggie's camper up....:getsome:

I like the way you think mcim29! I will be a cohort with Reggie and it might get real interesting with a couple other troublemakers... :D
Really looking forward to this...sounds like a blast!

mcim29

I like the way you think mcim29! I will be a cohort with Reggie and it might get real interesting with a couple other troublemakers... :D
Really looking forward to this...sounds like a blast!

We'll all be up to NO GOOD that weekend!! JERSEY representing we will be in control of Ridge. :cool:

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
Ha!.. buncha trouble up in here! Definitely excited about going and having a real good time with really good folks!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Sounds like there is going to be a lot of us from NJ this year. Our buddy Tonyride is going, too.
There are going to be more tandems, too. Our friends from our tandem bike club** are coming along, too." Team Breeze - Screamcycle" was a huge hit last year.

** Dawn and I do have a road tandem. However, we are not nuts enough for a mountain tandem yet... :D

Top Bottom