Dirt Rag is sadly no more

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Hard to say this is a surprise with the demise of print magazines, but Dirt rag posted that they are shutting down. The post seems a little sudden and short, probably more will come to light in the future. I always appreciated that the mag didn’t feel like corporate shill media, always a little off center and weird, and had interesting articles that weren’t too serious. Pour one out, RIP
A4DE6A06-F239-45B9-BF82-74CA2D44F913.png

mwlikesbikes

That explains why the dirt fest reg page says that registrations are closed for both PA & WV dirt fests. ☹️
End of an era, that’s where we used to go for local race schedules & info before we were all plugged into the WWW.

-YETI-

Wow, that's really sad- been reading Dirt Rag for years.

No worries- there's still 'Bicycling'! We can still enjoy articles like 'Are you at high risk for a blood clot?' and 'Here’s How Much of Your Daily Diet Should Come From Processed Foods'.

Plenty of worthwhile content to enjoy! In fact, I'm going to start with 'The Definitive Guide to Pumping Your Bike Tires'

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a bummer for sure, and I can’t help but feel partly responsible:
2nd renewal notice is sitting in my desk-
Do you think if I send it in, they’ll reconsider?

Always aware of how fragile media outlets are now that things have shifted from print.
I get access to a lot of content free through my library, but still subscribe to the important ones.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I had been hoping to get to the WV dirtfest this year. I’ll likely be at raystown the usual dirtfest weekend as I already have a campsite. I’m surprised they called of the events only a few months out. It seems like a simple setup of tents in a field but there’s probably a lot more behind the scenes.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Definitely a bummer, while I am a fan of print pictures and the like, I have bought one or subscribed in years.

Dingo

Bummer... I didn't help, have not subscribed in years.

Met Maurice years ago at the 24hrs of allamuchy, and have some swag too.

SmooveP

Boo! Race results were also published in the Rag. Some very cool cover art over the years as well. We camped next to Maurice at Mountain Bike Weekend one year and had a few nice chats with him. I seem to recall that the mag was bought by outside investors awhile back. Like MBW and Pedro's Fest, Dirt Rag was kind of a throwback to the old hippie origins of the sport. Replaced by the Red Bull version of the sport. Progress?

mfennell

BWe camped next to Maurice at Mountain Bike Weekend one year and had a few nice chats with him. I seem to recall that the mag was bought by outside investors awhile back.
Did we ride w/Maurice at Wendell's place one year? Maybe when we stayed at the hunter's lodge (fully stocked with HoHos)? Dirt Rag was based in Pittsburgh.

SmooveP

Did we ride w/Maurice at Wendell's place one year? Maybe when we stayed at the hunter's lodge (fully stocked with HoHos)? Dirt Rag was based in Pittsburgh.
I don't remember the hunter's lodge (or HoHo's). Maybe a different trip. I do remember the epic bonfire that was attended by the Speedgoat guys and some bike industry types. I believe there was some drinking and fire-related injuries. Maybe he was there for that?

Dingo

I don't remember the hunter's lodge (or HoHo's). Maybe a different trip. I do remember the epic bonfire that was attended by the Speedgoat guys and some bike industry types. I believe there was some drinking and fire-related injuries. Maybe he was there for that?
Speedgoat... They had a great website, bought so much stuff from them. Always excellent customer service.

Top Bottom