Dirt bikers (moto) at Ringwood

babu

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I've been around for a while. Today (04 October 2008) I went for a ride at Ringwood. At one point during my ride (I think I was on the Renegade trail) I came face to face with three motorcycles. It is the first time I see dirt bikes at Ringwood, so I was wondering are they allowed in the park? I thought the park policy was no motorized vehicles (except for the authorized ones). Anyway they made some ugly marks on the trail...Could somebody give some info on this issue? Should I inform the park rangers next time I see anything like this.
BTW there were two other groups of MTB behind me so most probably they noticed them too.
Cheers!!!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Motorcycles at Renegade!! Holly Crap!! I've ridden in Ringwood for so long and never ran into any motorcycles there....
Renegade its right in the 'heart' of the park, some ballz they had to go and ride there.
You should've reported to the park police, although with all the budget cuts I havent seen one park ranger in a while.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I've seen dirt bikes on the fire roads outside of Poison Ivy and by Weyble Pond but never on the single track. Is there an available Park Ranger # we should carry? Hmmm...something tells me RW rangers won't be exactly anxious to bust locals on motorized bikes though...

Glancing Aft

Last year I came across some on the school house trail. Called the Ringwood Popo and they transferred me to the park. The park basically told me that their ranger was "busy taking care of another report of ATV" so yeah, they did nothing and didn't care.... Kind of sad.

F

Fourtyfell

Ringwood Police wont do anything, I see alot of people i know that dirtbike on these trails. Despite me telling them they are ruining the trails for everyone else i always see them. Good thing is i dont usually see them on the single track(race course). They usually fly up the fire roads.

it seems all the park police like to do is harass me for doing 5 over and threatening to write me a ticket.

I guess we can live with this untill they realize that theres single track. then we have a huge problem.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
ATV/MOTO use

You are right no atv/moto use in the Parks. The only way to help prevent this is to call everytime you see one. This way there is a record of the report and hoppefully in the future there may be more funds for adtional staff to address the issue.

Go here for a list of most contact info for the state:

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=390

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Saw a couple of kids and a father in there the day before the race. The kid was zipping back and forth on fireroads. I went to go say something to the dad and he handled it so well that i couldn't give him any grief. I guess he lived down the road and was very consciousness about what they were doing. Staying on fireroads and what have you. I know it doesn't make it right but it was hard to get mad the guy.

F

Fourtyfell

I've noticed this at jungle habitat too, RSP really need to get themselves together.

And while making a document of when we see this may help. How are we to identify people ? I mean how many red or blue quads are out there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If they don't know they're there, they'll never know they're there. The more people complain about it the more it will be identified as a problem.

Glancing Aft

To play the devil's advocate, to my knowledge, the section of the race course running from near the the model airplane field to near renegade (now cats nest) was created by ATVers in the mid 90s....

Still I call whenever I see them back there.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Hello,

This is my first post here, but I've been around for a while. Today (04 October 2008) I went for a ride at Ringwood. At one point during my ride (I think I was on the Renegade trail) I came face to face with three motorcycles. It is the first time I saw dirt bikes at Ringwood.
There should be a place to ride Motocross in North NJ similar to Raceway Park's practice track, that way they would have a place to ride.

RC ... :)

F

Fourtyfell

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I've been around for a while. Today (04 October 2008) I went for a ride at Ringwood. At one point during my ride (I think I was on the Renegade trail) I came face to face with three motorcycles. It is the first time I saw dirt bikes at Ringwood.
There should be a place to ride Motocross in North NJ similar to Raceway Park's practice track, that way they would have a place to ride.

RC ... :)

It's more of a problem of people like me that have a house that borders the park. Why travel when you can just ride to the park ?

As horrible as it seems, in the six or seven years i've been riding rsp, i've learned to live with it. The park rangers never really did anything about it, its just too easy to get away. Ringwood has Atv's but they are for S&R, they could care less about this issue. Call me dumb, but i say the ultimate way to get ride of them is to make skinnier trails.

Last edited by a moderator:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Funny because mxing probably made some of the trails we ride on now...Allaire for example

Yeah. Did yall like Jorbafest or maybe Stewart's trails? Churned in by moto.They are so similar to us as a user group(although illegal mostly) that i can't understand the problem. The same percentage of them will be Aholes as there are in just society in general so whatever, just relax and let "the man" take care of it if he so chooses.They're not hurtin anything and when they're gone you'll be next so don't go speedin to your own funeral.......

The Kalmyk

Yeah. Did yall like Jorbafest or maybe Stewart's trails? Churned in by moto.They are so similar to us as a user group(although illegal mostly) that i can't understand the problem. The same percentage of them will be Aholes as there are in just society in general so whatever, just relax and let "the man" take care of it if he so chooses.They're not hurtin anything and when they're gone you'll be next so don't go speedin to your own funeral.......

I agree 100%...I do feel the big parks have more than enough space for them to ride

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Except when they get bored of the fireroads and start hitting the singletrack. ATV's deciding to ride singletrack = bad time.

JoeKing

Selfish stupidity

Hardtale really hit..you people who run quick to the teacher (park rangers) are setting us up for the closing of Ringwood to mountain bikes too.

I've been riding mtb's in rsp since 1987 & before that I rode (horrible) dirt bikes. Having been a party to numerous land closures in both activities, we mountain bike riders should be the LAST people to try to restrict park usage to anyone!

Get a grip people...the hikers, leaf peepers, horsey set ALL think rsp & (every park) are..THEIRS..& theirs alone. Mountain bikes are just another..UN-NATURAL machine, which to them has no place in their "natural" world.

Who owns the park..WE ALL DO. Just because some faceless park official, in response to the political power of one group of users over another CHOOSES to outlaw one group..doesn't make it RIGHT. Motorcyclists pay taxes too, last I checked. Don't even try to say "they are ruining" the trails..BS. First as already mentioned..they probably MADE them to begin with & after the next rain...you'd never know they were there!

The selfishness I have witnessed related to PUBLIC land usage disgusts me...I expect more from the mtb community.

Last edited:
F

Fourtyfell

Joe-

Im less worried about them ruining the trails as i am for getting hit. While the same may pertain to mountain bikers, i usually see 2 people on a quad, no helmets flying up a trail. I hate to stereotype, but i think the no moto rules are there to protect the riders of the moto's not the trails themselves.

my .02 $

sixseven

Hardtale really hit..you people who run quick to the teacher (park rangers) are setting us up for the closing of Ringwood to mountain bikes too.

I've been riding mtb's in rsp since 1987 & before that I rode (horrible) dirt bikes. Having been a party to numerous land closures in both activities, we mountain bike riders should be the LAST people to try to restrict park usage to anyone!

Get a grip people...the hikers, leaf peepers, horsey set ALL think rsp & (every park) are..THEIRS..& theirs alone. Mountain bikes are just another..UN-NATURAL machine, which to them has no place in their "natural" world.

Who owns the park..WE ALL DO. Just because some faceless park official, in response to the political power of one group of users over another CHOOSES to outlaw one group..doesn't make it RIGHT. Motorcyclists pay taxes too, last I checked. Don't even try to say "they are ruining" the trails..BS. First as already mentioned..they probably MADE them to begin with & after the next rain...you'd never know they were there!

The selfishness I have witnessed related to PUBLIC land usage disgusts me...I expect more from the mtb community.

Nice point...and if you project the evolution of it all forward a bit, hikers inherit the earth.
I have run into motorcycles on local trails like 6 Mile and Rutgers Eco preserve and feel like its not a big deal. They are always respectful and apologize as they pass by. It is an occasional nuisance that I can accept.

G

Greenman

Hey guys.

Figure I'd chime in.

I know that the trail you guys call Renegade was made by a moto for sure.
When we started to ride it we nicknamed it "Fire Hydrant" since there is a hydrant at the begining of the trail at the fire road end of it.

Funny you say "hikers inherit the earth" six seven. I remember when they started to designate and mark the trails in RSP for hiking, biking and horse riding. When we first saw the signs pop up we were like WTH we have been riding these trails for so long, now it's only for hiking!

I really dont mind sharing the park with the hikers/horse riders/moto.
It's getting the people to realize that certain trails can only suppport their respective activitiy.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions