Dirt bike sighting

blackburn1973

So, first for me in Mercer today. Was coming back on yellow where it runs near Hughes Drive and had a fully kitted guy on a small motorized dirt bike coming at me. Not e-bike but gas-fueled. Could not believe it and have never seen this before anywhere in the park, let alone that area. And it was late morning - not first light or anything. Anyone else seen this before? Gave him a head shake but didn't engage.

gpTron

So, first for me in Mercer today. Was coming back on yellow where it runs near Hughes Drive and had a fully kitted guy on a small motorized dirt bike coming at me. Not e-bike but gas-fueled. Could not believe it and have never seen this before anywhere in the park, let alone that area. And it was late morning - not first light or anything. Anyone else seen this before? Gave him a head shake but didn't engage.
Any chance it was a park ranger? I'm ignorant to how park rangers do their recon of the trails. I mean I'm sure it wasn't but who knows. I've never encountered anything except bikes and walkers.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Any chance it was a park ranger? I'm ignorant to how park rangers do their recon of the trails. I mean I'm sure it wasn't but who knows. I've never encountered anything except bikes and walkers.
That is highly unlikely that it was a park ranger. The rangers basically don't go on the trails unless there is an issue.

I would report it to the ranger station. MCP is not really in an area where you let moto use happen. Given that MCP actually has a ranger presence, they will shut it down.

blackburn1973

That is highly unlikely that it was a park ranger. The rangers basically don't go on the trails unless there is an issue.

I would report it to the ranger station. MCP is not really in an area where you let moto use happen. Given that MCP actually has a ranger presence, they will shut it down.
Agreed that it was unlikely a ranger. Kit he was wearing definitely felt street and no insignia. Also, I've never seen a ranger on the trails in Mercer (just parking lots and common areas).

Was planning to go to the station just across the road from the Marina lot to report but wasn't sure if the sighting was across the Van Nest line and whether Mercer still had jurisdiction (also didn't think anything would be done about it). If I see again I will file a report.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Agreed that it was unlikely a ranger. Kit he was wearing definitely felt street and no insignia. Also, I've never seen a ranger on the trails in Mercer (just parking lots and common areas).

Was planning to go to the station just across the road from the Marina lot to report but wasn't sure if the sighting was across the Van Nest line and whether Mercer still had jurisdiction (also didn't think anything would be done about it). If I see again I will file a report.
I am not huge for reporting things like this, but multiple reports sometimes leads to action, especially when some of the Van Nest trails are so close to the road (i.e., the rangers dont need to do much to make presence known).

blackburn1973

Good call and good point. This was literally where you can see Hughes Drive from the trail (and I suspect the rider came in from Hughes).

TAS

FYI.... Van Nest WMA is not under the jurisdiction of Mercer County. I believe you would need to report the violation to the State of NJ - DEP.
Off Road Vehicles are illegal in all WMA's.https://nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm

They may not even know that they are in violation as there is no signage to that effect at the entrance or parking area. It may be simpler to flag them down and let them know.

If they continue to violate the law and are damaging the trails then they should be reported.
TAS

blackburn1973

Thanks @TAS Remembered that Van Nest was outside of Mercer control from our last conversation. Hopefully the rider was unaware. Haven't seen him since.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions