Directional Trails

EJphotos

I got yelled at by some old guy for going the "wrong way" at Allaire on the white trail. You know, the trail and portion that is a double track fire road.

johnbryanpeters

One of the oldest I am aware of is Tsali down in NC - they've been one direction for as long as I can remember. In fact, those trails go a step further - they are always one direction but there are two loops and MTB access varies by day of the week as to which loop you have access to. I think it can only really work with trails with a set loop. One directional trails really wouldn't work in places like, say, Allaire. There's too much "choose your own adventure" forks and such there. And most trail systems are more like that than spots like Tsali, which is two single loops with no forks.
Tsali also has on site camping, so you can ride one set, sleep, ride the other.

JPark

I think directional trails work really well when there is an obvious "better direction" to ride. (the High Bridge flow trails being a great example, as previously mentioned)
If I ride a park for the first time, I wish there would be signs telling me the best way to go instead of thinking to myself halfway through the ride "this would be so cool from the other direction!"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think directional trails work really well when there is an obvious "better direction" to ride. (the High Bridge flow trails being a great example, as previously mentioned)
If I ride a park for the first time, I wish there would be signs telling me the best way to go instead of thinking to myself halfway through the ride "this would be so cool from the other direction!"

TrailForks can tell you which direction most people ride any trail in. Imperfect but better than nothing. We use it a lot. It often works. It sometimes doesn’t.

rick81721

Lothar

Eh but that's the exploration fun - I've ridden more than a few trail systems for the first time with no prior knowledge other than where to park. And then ridden a trail that is almost impossible the way I was going!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
90% of the trails on Long Island are directional. It's pretty obvious in many sections but there is also signage to help guide you. This seems to be a foreign concept in NJ.

Reactions: don

JPark

Eh but that's the exploration fun - I've ridden more than a few trail systems for the first time with no prior knowledge other than where to park. And then ridden a trail that is almost impossible the way I was going!
I've had some explorations gone wrong. The hiker only trail at RV and the hiker only at Sourlands were the two most disastrous. The little Garmin maps don't have all the info of the full Trailforks app. Those trails didn't matter what direction you went, horrible both ways but probably a fun hike without your bike.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I've had some explorations gone wrong. The hiker only trail at RV and the hiker only at Sourlands were the two most disastrous. The little Garmin maps don't have all the info of the full Trailforks app. Those trails didn't matter what direction you went, horrible both ways but probably a fun hike without your bike.
No trails at Sourlands are "Hiker Only" per the rules but if you take your bike on that one trail at Sourlands, you'll definitely be hiking :). It is marked in trailforks as such.

Reactions: don

rick81721

Lothar
No trails at Sourlands are "Hiker Only" per the rules but if you take your bike on that one trail at Sourlands, you'll definitely be hiking :). It is marked in trailforks as such.

and the hiker only at Sourlands were the two most disastrous.

Haha I made that mistake once going down that trail from the boulderama area. Almost had to abandon my spearfish dragging it down over huge boulders and sheer drops!

iLuveketchup

I think Trestle trail at Stephens would be a good candidate for directional. It gets narrow at the last half and not much visual cues for on coming traffic.

JPark

Haha I made that mistake once going down that trail from the boulderama area. Almost had to abandon my spearfish dragging it down over huge boulders and sheer drops!
Same story. Wrong turn on Boulderama. Won't make that mistake again.

Top Bottom