Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Bummer. That thing was always tricky and scary running up and over the stump for me. Glad I got it a couple times. Sounds like the trail crew needs to build a replacement one :) There is what looks like one at the beginning of Blue but too sketchy and too skinny for me. Anyone ride that one?

Larry_fopps

New to the area, Dickerson is 10 minutes from my new place so will probably ride it pretty regularly. Went out for my first ride on tuesday, and I must say, I can't believe how well marked and groomed this place is. Thank you to those maintaining it. I plan to take my brother who's a huge old VW guy for a ride, and noticed some pictures on the internet of what appears to be an abandoned blue 1978 VW Scirocco in there somewhere. I hit White, blue, yellow, and orange, but never found it. Does anyone know where its hidden? I'd love to stumble upon it while he's with me. TIA
link to said pictures
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwjfkvesk7bpAhUulnIEHQtODqoQoiowC3oECBIQBg

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
New to the area, Dickerson is 10 minutes from my new place so will probably ride it pretty regularly. Went out for my first ride on tuesday, and I must say, I can't believe how well marked and groomed this place is. Thank you to those maintaining it. I plan to take my brother who's a huge old VW guy for a ride, and noticed some pictures on the internet of what appears to be an abandoned blue 1978 VW Scirocco in there somewhere. I hit White, blue, yellow, and orange, but never found it. Does anyone know where its hidden? I'd love to stumble upon it while he's with me. TIA
link to said pictures
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c39fe131d9e491:0x96ed72967baa6dc8!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipP6wGJhNi1BMDqkFkTz3iiEbcFovGuj4aDI8Q_J=w240-h320-k-no!5sdickerson mine preserve - Google Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPxXRvg5c3bqhnsLOVihoc4OXGUF9D97d15cNNs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfkvesk7bpAhUulnIEHQtODqoQoiowC3oECBIQBg

It's on white, might be covered now with growth but in the winter time it is very visible

Xler8

I meant to post this a few weeks ago... can we get a moment of silence for the log ride that has finally rotted through? I will be holding a niterider light vigil at a later date.
View attachment 128667
Instead of a moment of silence, can we setup a fix-up party? I’ve got a fair amount of scrap wood laying around which I could donate as well as some screws and labor ??

Last edited:

goldsbar

COVID 19 has not been kind to Dickerson. There's a go-around on every single minor obstacle now on all trails. Parts of the used-to-be-technical white are now grossly widened. Good news is that new flow trail seems like it will be a winner. Trails are dry and not over grown.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
COVID 19 has not been kind to Dickerson. There's a go-around on every single minor obstacle now on all trails. Parts of the used-to-be-technical white are now grossly widened. Good news is that new flow trail seems like it will be a winner. Trails are dry and not over grown.
I can second this..some of the go around are pathetic

jpn

As a regular solo rider in DM, here is my two cents on the widenings/go arounds. I was thinking this today as I rode there and noticed even more of this happening. There has definitely been some small quads and motos in there this spring, but I think most of the widening/go arounds have been caused by large groups of riders racing each other on the trails. Two or three times in the last month I have encountered such groups. They had about 15 riders in the group. They have been friendly but I've seen them riding 3-4 across the single track and I think that has caused the negative changes to the trails.

Not really sure, other than some friendly education with such groups, if anything can be done about it.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unfortunately I think this is just the reality of having a sudden boom in traffic of all different types. Previously most of the traffic was people from the mtb community and the local dog walkers. Now you have a shit load of non “enthusiasts” getting out on bikes that probably don’t even realize these are “features.” In their minds they are just going around the big rock that’s in the way, no big deal.

xc62701

I find the go around super annoying but I can across one of the go arounds that hastily tried to throw debris on the actual trail and I fixed it. It's annoying that just because you can't ride a certain section that you have to make a new trail. I know somehow these people think they are helping.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
People block shit off on Yellow all the time. I particularly enjoy the safety rock someone keeps putting up to block the drop. You can move it and it will be back the next day. It’s a fun little game.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i might have posted this in here before.
Upstate NY - town owned property.

1590070546636.png

stilluf

Yes I've noticed it especially on white, typically an uphill go-around of a harder tech section that is pretty narrow with a drop -off. But I'll be honest, the first time I rode here (just last month) when riding this section, it looks like the "go around" is the trail, while the "actual trail" may have debris on it or look less-traveled. Not sure what the solution is but this is my observation.

Gotta say overall this is a great place to ride, well-built and excellent drainage. Excited to see what the trail builders do on the new roughed-out trails.

Locals Question: does anyone ever connect Dickerson Mine to the trail behind the elementary school on Canfield Ave, and/or the county park (Hedden Park). Only drawback of DM is that it's on the small side so could be good to add some mileage at either spot if worth it. Thanks!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Yes I've noticed it especially on white, typically an uphill go-around of a harder tech section that is pretty narrow with a drop -off. But I'll be honest, the first time I rode here (just last month) when riding this section, it looks like the "go around" is the trail, while the "actual trail" may have debris on it or look less-traveled. Not sure what the solution is but this is my observation.

Gotta say overall this is a great place to ride, well-built and excellent drainage. Excited to see what the trail builders do on the new roughed-out trails.

Locals Question: does anyone ever connect Dickerson Mine to the trail behind the elementary school on Canfield Ave, and/or the county park (Hedden Park). Only drawback of DM is that it's on the small side so could be good to add some mileage at either spot if worth it. Thanks!
I live on the other side of the school so I hit those trails on my way to DM regularly. The school owns that land so we don't have permission to build anything there. The section of the park between the Canfield connector and route 46 is getting a trail as well at some point. We already have that mapped and partially flagged. If you head to and cross 46 you can go up iron mountain road and connect to Wharton parks, Mount Hope and with some navigating, all the way to Split rock. If you head South, you can connect to the West Morris Greenway, Patriot's path, Columbia trail and all the way down to Nassau and the new flow trails. You can also stay with Patriot's path and hit Stephens, Allamuchy, Deer Park, etc. etc. It's a really well connected park

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you head to and cross 46 you can go up iron mountain road and connect to Wharton parks, Mount Hope and with some navigating, all the way to Split rock.

That sounds fun, we should do that sometime.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I live on the other side of the school so I hit those trails on my way to DM regularly. The school owns that land so we don't have permission to build anything there. The section of the park between the Canfield connector and route 46 is getting a trail as well at some point. We already have that mapped and partially flagged. If you head to and cross 46 you can go up iron mountain road and connect to Wharton parks, Mount Hope and with some navigating, all the way to Split rock. If you head South, you can connect to the West Morris Greenway, Patriot's path, Columbia trail and all the way down to Nassau and the new flow trails. You can also stay with Patriot's path and hit Stephens, Allamuchy, Deer Park, etc. etc. It's a really well connected park

Hey I'm 8 minutes up hill do you post tm days anywhere?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions