Diablo OCT 18

sixseven

Anyone going tomorrow? I bought a season pass for 09 and it includes this month.
Going tomorrow and the following 2 weekends. Weather is looking really good for it!

M

mondojoe

I went last week, used my own bike and almost friggin killed myself and I'm pretty sure I'd do it all over again.

Ibike

i think im goin if you see the dumbass with a xc helmet and a hardtail rm come over and say hi but maybe ill try a rental

sixseven

i think im goin if you see the dumbass with a xc helmet and a hardtail rm come over and say hi but maybe ill try a rental

cool. I'll look for you. Check out Ridetopia for rentals. Cheaper and the bikes are in better condition than the ones at Diablo. Whatever works for ya.

sixseven

Wow. What a day. I feel like I got beat up. Cool weather, hit some drops and jumps that I hadn't felt confident about before. Hit Slayer and Ripper for the first time, got bashed up a little and went over the bars a few times. Had a great pinball machine style wreck on Lower Dominion I think it was, left shoulder to a tree sending me into another tree on the right and off the bike.
Tempest to Victory was my favorite, walked a few spots but what a ride the rest of it was.
That place is a crash course in skills and the progression comes pretty quickly.
Saw a pack of guys on xc bikes with xc helmets, was that you Ibike?
Any one going next Sunday for the Halloween jump jam?
Body hurting, systems shutting down, sleep soon.
Corona blood transfusion first.

f2f4

Just got back from Diablo WOOOHOOO!

6 hrs of DH, that's right. Went on the lift nearly 15 times.

I freaking LOVE that place. Nice people too. Rented an Iron Horse Sunday, that thing SHREDDED. I was riding through rock gardens filled with boulders, it was nuts. Went off a few drops, but nothing over 6 feet.

Dominion, Alpine, and Indy Cross ROCKED. I dunno why Chute De Satchum is a double black diamond feature, it wasn't hard for me. Although I did see a few others completely eat rocks.

All you DH guys come in here and give me e-high-fives dangit.
I'm addicted. :(

dhsean

Congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of DH.

Now get ready to open your wallet. :D

It's a horrible addiction that ruins relationships and credit ratings.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Now get ready to open your wallet. :D

It's a horrible addiction that ruins relationships and credit ratings.

Still, it's marginally better than golf for finances and relationships... ;)

See you all at Diabloween.

f2f4

I hope to be there!

Polly not riding though. I can't afford to rent again.

I may bring my hardtail for giggles.

But I will have my completely decked-out DSLR taking some amazing shots of you all. :)

EDIT: After railing on one all day, I really want a Sunday Team. Thoughts?

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saturday was my first try at downhilling. I bought a 2003 Norco A line a couple months ago and finally got some time to try it out. Once I got a few things sorted with the bike, I was feeling ok. I think we hit every double black diamond in the park. Seemed like every trail we went on was labeled as such. I was definetly having more fun on the table tops and jumps than on the super techy rocky sections. But both were fun. The indy cross thing was really fun too. My biggest problem was the pedals. I could not get comfortable with the crappy welgo flats I had. Plus, I only had my regular converse skate shoes to wear. So the sliding around was making me unconfortable. Im glad I decided to breakout my full mx gear. It came in handy a few times.

Ibike

def tryin to go sunday wanted to go sat but rain is in the forcast all day. how is diablo the day after it rains anybody got firsthand experience?

Rob Munro

I hope to be there!

been riding one for two seasons. The bike is as good as it gets for high speed descents. Light, fast, great suspension, well balanced and absolutely rails corners. It is a high end race bike after all. It is also good for every day freeriding, though if you aren't racing you aren't using it to its full potential. Kind of like driving a ferrari in traffic.

as much as I love my Sunday and highly recommend it, I suggest you test ride a few bikes and do your own research. Make sure you aren't just star struck by your first time on a long travel bike. There are a lot of options and one may be more perfect for your needs.

sixseven

def tryin to go sunday wanted to go sat but rain is in the forcast all day. how is diablo the day after it rains anybody got firsthand experience?
My first day there it rained and due to lightning they closed the lift. It rained for 2 hours, trails were super nice right after that. Its all downhill. The place sheds water like a...I don't know.

Rob Munro

Just got back from Diablo WOOOHOOO!
I dunno why Chute De Satchum is a double black diamond feature, it wasn't hard for me.

welcome. there's nothing like a good day of DH/FR. that section's rating has more to do with the penalty for falling off the bridge, than the sheer difficulty. Every season it takes out a lot of good riders. Don't let your guard down.

sixseven

welcome. there's nothing like a good day of DH/FR. that section's rating has more to do with the penalty for falling off the bridge, than the sheer difficulty. Every season it takes out a lot of good riders. Don't let your guard down.
Yeah, that thing sketches me out. I haven't hit it yet. It's a one liner. Like a lot of stuff there it looks so simple when someone else does it. Guess it wouldn't look that way if they ate it.

sixseven

I hope to be there!

Polly not riding though. I can't afford to rent again.

I may bring my hardtail for giggles.

But I will have my completely decked-out DSLR taking some amazing shots of you all. :)

Can't wait to see pics from today! I ended up having to battle some home plumbing issues that as always come up at the best times to be out riding.
Post em when you have them all ready!!!

Top Bottom