DH Bike Choices aka pushing the limits to the N+1 rule

Ian F

An old saying with Downhilling
Its not a matter of if but when you will get hurt. Well that was in racing to be honest. Most racers are almost always dealy with a injury.
Its why I gave up competitive racing and also why I bought a enduro bike, to save myself from myself. Still have a capable DH sled if I want but thats pretty much for my mini clone.

I used to race plattekill with Mike from XXL team. Plus Chris C not a Dher is also part of that crew who lives down the road from me in my old hood.
Cool. I rode Blue Mtn (bike park) with Mike and Chris about a month ago. Mike on his Nomad mullet and Chris rented a DH bike (I'm drawing a blank on what it was...). Hopefully we'll get together for a Wayway or 'Mooch ride over the Winter after my shoulder is healed. It took a while for Chris to get used to the DH bike and what it can do, but he doesn't have the DH experience Mike or I do to just let the bike go on steep stuff. He said he started to "get it" on the last couple of runs.

I rode the race course at Blue on my Megatower and I don't think I was much slower than when I raced on it with a DH bike (M16C and previous 951 Evo). One big difference is the DH bikes were both size M and the MT is a L. That was actually one reason I sold the M16C. I rode my Intense Primer a lot which had more modern (long/low) geometry and when I got back on the M16C it just felt so small front-center and the 27.5 wheels felt like they got hung up on everything. The MT is just a monster truck that rolls over everything, despite having 40mm less travel F&R. If I do get another DH bike, it'll almost certainly be a 29er. Which probably means I really need to get my remaining DH parts up for sale (mainly wheels and a Dorado fork)…

The Commencal is definitely a good bike, but I'm just concerned about parts support. Same with YT, Canyon or any of the direct-to-consumer brands. At this point in my life, I'm tired of chasing down parts to keep a bike running.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Commencal is definitely a good bike, but I'm just concerned about parts support.
Two experiences with this just recently during race season. Needed a new pivot sent ASAP, called them, it was in the mail same day. Last week I broke a hangar in a Saturday, had a new one by Wednesday. About 6 months ago I needed to replace the main axle rocker due to my own abuse... I ordered the stock part number and they called me like two hours later to let me know I’d be receiving the newer design off their e-bike at same cost....

I know with YT most things have to ship from Germany but now the Commencal is in San Diego and Colorado the parts service has been amazing in my experience.

Ian F

That's good to hear. The Supreme definitely looks like a good bike and the ala cart purchasing system is interesting. Buy what you want, skip parts you don't. For example, I'm a Shimano guy, so I'd probably order one as just a frame/fork/headset and then get a Saint or Zee drivetrain on my own plus a set or two of I9 Grade wheels...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Ryan.P @Soundguy ill ask you guys this bc you would certainly know far better than me.....

The last DH bike I rode.....im going to say it was ~2010 specialized demo....I remember it had a fox 40 on it, but thats about all I can remember. Im sure im a much better rider now than I was then....but in terms of just doing jumps....is a DH bike the bike you want? This is a really silly comparison, but I can say 100% that my bronson felt far better on jumps than that demo did....Just feels far more balanced, not as nose heavy. Like if you just wanted to session those tabletops on dominion all day, is a DH bike what you want?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Ryan.P @Soundguy ill ask you guys this bc you would certainly know far better than me.....

The last DH bike I rode.....im going to say it was ~2010 specialized demo....I remember it had a fox 40 on it, but thats about all I can remember. Im sure im a much better rider now than I was then....but in terms of just doing jumps....is a DH bike the bike you want? This is a really silly comparison, but I can say 100% that my bronson felt far better on jumps than that demo did....Just feels far more balanced, not as nose heavy. Like if you just wanted to session those tabletops on dominion all day, is a DH bike what you want?
Generally for the pop to just hit jumps a shorter travel bike will be easier to send to the moon . I still haven't ridden a proper dh bike so what do I know 🙃 also your bronson is probably more slack than your last dh bike so there's that

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@UtahJoe This thread is about N+1. At this point, I think the Slash is my typical goto for Creek. I'll put the Remedy back to trail duty (change the tires back to something a little less heavy). And then have the DH for those days when I just want to rip the gnar OR if I decide to race the more DH type courses or even throw my hat into some masters DH races. I can see that Thursday night race series in my future; why not have options.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@UtahJoe This thread is about N+1. At this point, I think the Slash is my typical goto for Creek. I'll put the Remedy back to trail duty (change the tires back to something a little less heavy). And then have the DH for those days when I just want to rip the gnar OR if I decide to race the more DH type courses or even throw my hat into some masters DH races. I can see that Thursday night race series in my future; why not have options.
Yes of course...I know you only would ever sell a bike bc you physically have run out of garage space :)

I was just curious about jumping a DH bike compared to like your slash, my bronson or even your remedy

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh and I do have a goal. I want to ride Fort Hill at Thunder Mtn without completely soiling my pants and leaving on a stretcher. I'm fairly certain this is more mind over matter. I know people that have run the entire line and I'm pretty sure I can ride with them anywhere. Of course, that will not require a DH bike but it could be a little more forgiving.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe you should just buy a throttle then :)
My buddy Hayes just did and is doing laps again with the intention of racing moto again next year.

Ian F

I'm not sure if Fort Hill will ever be on my radar to conquer. I'll be happy when I can ride Hawleywood with confidence, although since I've ridden 95% of Black Magic at Killington, I've been told Hawleywood should be in my wheelhouse.

I sold my motos a few months ago. I had day dreams of using one to cross-train for DH racing, but when I stopped racing DH they just became another hobby taking up my ever decreasing amount of space and time. Between bikes, guitars and my collection of classic cars, to say I've over-extended myself would be an understatement...

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@graveyardman67 have you been down any of the super gnar at Creek yet? Try to bomb down Ripper or Evil Bob and you will probably buy a downhill bike before you get home.

side note, I want to ride fort hill...

Ian F

Of course he’s doing that line on a 160mm travel bike. Love the water bottle in his frame. With that much air time, Jeff could probably take a sip mid-flight. o_O
The Reeb Sqweeb is 150mm, although Jeff may have still had it in 130 mode when he rode Fort Hill. Granted, pro slope-style riders do jumps bigger than Fort Hill on practically rigid bikes.

Reactions: don

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@graveyardman67 have you been down any of the super gnar at Creek yet? Try to bomb down Ripper or Evil Bob and you will probably buy a downhill bike before you get home.

side note, I want to ride fort hill...
YES! Did both on my Remedy and was just like "this isn't going to work in fast mode". A light bulb goes off and thinks "now I know why people have DH bikes."

Damn - if Lenosky is stressing over it that must be a burly line! His run thru it looked smooth tho.
I've watched many videos of people on that line and Jeff is on point with every landing. Too many people go too deep and which leads to a near-death experience on the next jump.

In my very limited experience thus far (at Creek) it seems over-jumping (dropping?) on the drops is very easy. I have yet to hit Cabin and Road to Nowhere - maybe this weekend.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
YES! Did both on my Remedy and was just like "this isn't going to work in fast mode". A light bulb goes off and thinks "now I know why people have DH bikes."

I've watched many videos of people on that line and Jeff is on point with every landing. Too many people go too deep and which leads to a near-death experience on the next jump.

In my very limited experience thus far (at Creek) it seems over-jumping (dropping?) on the drops is very easy. I have yet to hit Cabin and Road to Nowhere - maybe this weekend.
Haha I ride all that shit on my Enduro pretty “quick” I guess but your really need the 200mm dual crown to hit that next level.

I just started hitting cabin and I don’t know what took me so long....it’s probably the smoothest drop there. Covenant feels much bigger.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
My former DH racer who's been out of the game for about a decade 2 Cents: If you only want to hit the flowy jumpy trails at Creek, Enduro bike seems like the way to go. I have yet to take a modern enduro bike to a bike park but i'm sure it'll feel better than my 2007 Turner DHR on the jump trails. Dominion does have some decent sized and lippy jumps though, so you need to be comfortable and confident. Fort Hill is next level and if i were to ever get the balls to ride it, it would require a DH bike. Consequences are way too high for minor under/over jumping. Also, Road to Nowhere is more mindf--k than difficult. The drop itself isn't too bad, you just have to be comfortable riding off a relative skinny and then landing on a rock face. It's actually a smooth landing even though it doesn't look it and you can hit it at any speed. Cabin i have not attempted yet but the speed and landing sniping accuracy required seem way higher than RTN. As far as what bike to get, if you have money to burn, go new and support your LBS if they can get you a model you like. If you want to save some coin, a lot of DH racers sell their bikes after 1 season of racing or Demo fleets from bike parks get sold off around this time. Not sure if this year is different but there are usually deals to be had.

don

Lenosky is such a smooth rider so coming a little short or long probably is the stressful part for him where as other people just huck it.

I've heard Cabin is the smoothest/best drop there. I was eye-balling it with my buddy on the top and gap/drop wise it didn't look too bad. Standing from underneath tho :oops:

We wanted to get something past our usual Pipeline but talking to some people the Covenant drop can be easy to over cook. When we looked at it we both agreed there isn't all that much landing to grab. Jeff's tip like on Phantom to carve the take off make senses and I'll have to try it next time I'm there. I've only hit it a few times this year as it seems like it needs more landing.

Good luck on Cabin and Road to Nowhere drops this weekend 👍

don

My former DH racer who's been out of the game for about a decade 2 Cents: If you only want to hit the flowy jumpy trails at Creek, Enduro bike seems like the way to go. I have yet to take a modern enduro bike to a bike park but i'm sure it'll feel better than my 2007 Turner DHR on the jump trails. Dominion does have some decent sized and lippy jumps though, so you need to be comfortable and confident. Fort Hill is next level and if i were to ever get the balls to ride it, it would require a DH bike. Consequences are way too high for minor under/over jumping. Also, Road to Nowhere is more mindf--k than difficult. The drop itself isn't too bad, you just have to be comfortable riding off a relative skinny and then landing on a rock face. It's actually a smooth landing even though it doesn't look it and you can hit it at any speed. Cabin i have not attempted yet but the speed and landing sniping accuracy required seem way higher than RTN. As far as what bike to get, if you have money to burn, go new and support your LBS if they can get you a model you like. If you want to save some coin, a lot of DH racers sell their bikes after 1 season of racing or Demo fleets from bike parks get sold off around this time. Not sure if this year is different but there are usually deals to be had.

My buddy and I rode Creek a couple Friday's ago. He was on a Bronson me on an Esker Elkat (140/160). The Esker actually felt better than my V3 Nomad I had there the time before. Our lap of choice is Dominion's to Salvation to Crap Chute. That whole line felt fun on the Esker and I wasn't looking for more capabilities. If I rode there more a burlier rig would be my choice but a modern enduro bike can do a lot there.

Top Bottom