DFH & Boston brewery merge

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Sam Adams is swill. Mostly I’m just angry because that’s all my dad buys and I end up drinking it when I visit. Dog fish always has respect for making decent beer back in the dark days.

Roadie

I stopped considering Sam Adams a craft brew a long time ago. For me Dogfish has been on a similar path for a while now. I don’t buy either of their products any more. Sometimes will settle for drinking them if there is nothing else available. To me they are both large scale operations marketed as a small production, craft or artisan beer brewers.

JDurk

Can't remember the last time I drank something from Sam Adams, and DFH kinda lost it's craft brew status for me when I saw it on the shelf of Walgreens, on Duval St in Key West a few years ago. Though I do have some 120 Minute aging in my basement. Reminds me of the merger of Victory and Southern Tier, haven't drank either since, don't know why. Probably because I've been on a Tonewood and Cape May streak. Helps that Tonewood is a bike ride from my house and they provide our race team beverages.

RobW

I haven’t touched DFH in a while and sams In a few years, although a Boston lager would be choice over any shitty inbev beer...I was mainly a 60minute guy until the local stuff blew up. I also am a proud supporter of small craft breweries... I am always passing up the whole shelf of 120’s at my spot. Maybe one day I’ll just take a few and age them for my boys 21st bday! Haha

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Two companies that pretend they are craft breweries merge into one larger company that is still going to pretend they are a craft brewery.

I'll drink Dogfish 60 if I'm at the bar and they don't have anything better. My wife likes their Festina Peche and another one that I can't remember the name of, so we pick those up sometimes. I don't drink them though.

It's funny how good we have it now that we think Dogfish sucks.

RobW

Two companies that pretend they are craft breweries merge into one larger company that is still going to pretend they are a craft brewery.

I'll drink Dogfish 60 if I'm at the bar and they don't have anything better. My wife likes their Festina Peche and another one that I can't remember the name of, so we pick those up sometimes. I don't drink them though.

right?! carton was fast on that slope for me! lol

Mr. E Man

I agree and disagree ... for a business stand point, it makes sense.

xc62701

Good for them. I was a big DFH fan a few years ago. I have many vintages of 120 aging at home but now I'm a Singlecut fan. It helps to have my inlaws in Queens.

Ian F

I don't mind Sam Adams beers. Generally not my first choice, but they're generally acceptable compared to the really big beer brands. I've never been a big fan of anything Dog Fish Head makes, but they seem to focus on IPAs and other "hop-forward" styles and I prefer stouts and other dark beers.

In a way, this is a good merger. Jim Koch has mentioned he's not a big fan of IPAs and other styles of beer that seem to be a DFH specialty and only reluctantly started offering IPA styles a few years ago. So when you think about it, the two companies don't really compete with one another, which is often a good basis for a merger.

Top Bottom