dessel

VanDbtRiver

I have been gathering data on 29ers for a good while. My latest interest brings me to local bike co. Van Dessel (jersey devil). Maybe I am out of the loop but these guys are new to me and their frames look nasty (in a good way). Does anyone out there have experience with them? Frickin' Dover, NJ.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
My buddy got this recently for rail trails and road rides when he can't get to the woods.
crb_main_small.jpg

So far, he is pretty satisfied

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the jersey devil HT is on my short list of frames, particularly since they're in NJ (dover). from everything i've read the geometry is similar to the niners but i can't confirm that. hopefully edwin will answer his emails and let us test one of these bad boys this year. he seemed on board early on but has recently dropped off the map...

Suhr40

Van Dessel feedback

I bought a Van Dessel Ramble Tamble a few months ago and set it up single speed. I am running American Classic wheels and a Fox F29 fork. I never owned a 29er before, but so far so good. I went with the ramble over the devil because of the eccentric bottom bracket / single speed thing. I believe the geometry is similar in both frames. All I can say is that I have not ridden any other bikes in the dirt since I bought this one. I just sold my Spec Epic, and may sell another no longer being used bike. I am going to race SS this year, not because I am very strong or fast, but because the bike is just that much fun to ride.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
are you the guy i keep seeing @ Lewis Morris?

either way, great to hear that the bike is all you want it to be. very little van dessel feedback here. or anywhere for that matter.

walter

Fourth Party
are you the guy i keep seeing @ Lewis Morris?

either way, great to hear that the bike is all you want it to be. very little van dessel feedback here. or anywhere for that matter.

I have been making some inquiries, and if it ever comes about, I will post away.

Suhr40

I do ride at LM a lot, but another guy also rides a Ramble Tamble there a lot. His has the white brothers rigid fork, mine has the f29. Talking to him about his bike and riding a bit with him was a big factor in me buying one. I believe I rode one time with you back in september at Ringwood. I was on a white specialized epic, about a week or so before the ringwood race. I met Norm, Justin, and if you ride a SS mary, I met you as well. Anyway, I would gladly meet up with anyone wanting to test ride the bike. It's a large.

PS - I checked, and the geometry of the Jersey Devil is the same as the Ramble Tamble so the ride should feel similar.

Just saw your jeep for sale. It has been me that you've been seeing, because I remember the green jeepster in the lot. Very cool BTW.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
SS Mary was BikNBen. ArmyOfNone (Fred) was there and Woody, as well as Zoller and his buddy for about 10 minutes.

Suhr40

got it

It's all coming back to me now. That was a fun ride. But I HAVE seen BonefishJake at LM recently. I saw him on the trails (on a mary) and then getting into his very slick (and apparently for sale) jeep. I am a bit slow at putting things together, but once it sticks, it's good for at least an hour. Anyway, thanks for the clarification Norm.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No problem Dan. Good to see you finally made it over here after, oh, what was it, 6 months?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yup dan, that's me with the scrambler. and yup, it's for sale. too many projects going on right now so i have to "project liquidate".

anyway, if you wouldn't mind meeting there one of these days and letting me throw a leg over it for a quick run up the yellow trail i'd apprecaite it. i'm very curious how the van d's handle and now that we have a guy on the board with one...well...you're fair game! :D

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I believe I rode one time with you back in september at Ringwood. I was on a white specialized epic, about a week or so before the ringwood race. I met Norm, Justin, and if you ride a SS mary, I met you as well. Anyway, I would gladly meet up with anyone wanting to test ride the bike. It's a large.

Oh yeah, hey man. White Epic, new XT cranks. You were chattin about old school BMXing. Fun ride.

Suhr40

Fyi

The offer still stands to try the bike whenever you want, but I know the weather and liquid trails has put offroading on standby. On a positive note - I went to the new Van Dessel company location at 55 Market St. in Morristown, and it was sweet. I rode a cyclocross bike and got to see all the models on the floor. They have jersey devils and ramble demos around to check out and try. I dealt with Ted and was very impressed with their setup.

Glancing Aft

The offer still stands to try the bike whenever you want, but I know the weather and liquid trails has put offroading on standby. On a positive note - I went to the new Van Dessel company location at 55 Market St. in Morristown, and it was sweet. I rode a cyclocross bike and got to see all the models on the floor. They have jersey devils and ramble demos around to check out and try. I dealt with Ted and was very impressed with their setup.

Sweet, I just saw the new HQ listed on their website, I'll have to swing down there soon and check it out since the Jersey Devil is on my list.

Glancing Aft

I swung by the MoTown shop this afternoon. Met one of the guys, Todd I believe it was. Nice guy, and a nice shop they have. I dug the Jersey Devil and hope to take it out for a spin some time. Looking at their build kits though they seemed a bit pricey, I'd have to go with just a frame and build it myself.

Suhr40

I bought the Ramble Tamble frame and built mostly with parts I had. I never really considered buying the complete bike since I Knew I liked the components I already had, and wanted some stuff not offered by Van Dessel, like the Fox F29 fork.
About a month ago I bought a 2007 leftover Gin and Trombones cyclocross bike. I did buy the complete bike, but got a decent deal because it was last years frame. Whatever you end up with, they were good people to deal with.

Suhr40

The only issue I've had with the fork is that the adjustment dials on the top/right fork crown will contact the downtube of the frame if spun 90 degrees to the right. It has not been a problem for me while riding and I only notice it when I have the front wheel off and turn the bars to load it into my car. But yes, bars spins are off the menu for me.

Top Bottom