Deer Park

cyclingcaptured

Hey guys, I'd like to go for a ride this week at Deer Park. From the Wiki, I understand you park at the Mountain Villa School parking lot. My GF is a teacher there and she says she sees mtb'ers parking there all the time. My question is: once I park there, which direction do I head?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Drive to the end of the parking lot (where the mansion is) and park there. As you face the mansion (12 o clock), look to your 8 o'clock down the hill. That's the start of the trail. Follow it about one mile and at the "T", go left. That takes you into Deer Park itself. Then, take whatever trails suit your fancy. I think there's a trail map on the Trail Directory on this site (but I can't seem to get to it at the moment). Good luck, it's a fun place.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drive to the end of the parking lot (where the mansion is) and park there. As you face the mansion (12 o clock), look to your 8 o'clock down the hill. That's the start of the trail. Follow it about one mile and at the "T", go left. That takes you into Deer Park itself. Then, take whatever trails suit your fancy. I think there's a trail map on the Trail Directory on this site (but I can't seem to get to it at the moment). Good luck, it's a fun place.

If you have a smartphone....download Maprika; it is an awesome app that has all of the DP's trails on it....then follow Greg's direction and enjoy.

Depending on when, I could possibly show you around if interested.

ktmrider

Is there a way to ride from deer park to Stephens over to mooch north without going on a road ? I heard of a tunnel under rt 80 but was under the impression that it was untrue

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is there a way to ride from deer park to Stephens over to mooch north without going on a road ? I heard of a tunnel under rt 80 but was under the impression that it was untrue
go to Garmin site and punch in mooch triples plenty I posted or search here for it. I know have a bunch...

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
From Stephens, you can cross under the I-80 bridge near Waterloo village (accessible by heading east from Stephens and following ATV trails to the grassy berms along I-80). Then, from Waterloo Village, you can cross Waterloo road into the southern section of Allamuchy north.

cyclingcaptured

Yep. Found it. Not too hard. Great riding! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411075474.933232.jpg

sneekyjesus

Whatever you do, don't go in by the school. It feels like your trespassing and you have to ride over their lawn to get to the trail. Oh and sweet poison ivy now too.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whatever you do, don't go in by the school. It feels like your trespassing and you have to ride over their lawn to get to the trail. Oh and sweet poison ivy now too.
Lol
Your not a local are you.
School trail is an awesome start because school trail is awesome start and finish.

Off The Road Again

Lol
Your not a local are you.
School trail is an awesome start because school trail is awesome start and finish.
I agree. School entry to DP is much better than taking gravel pond access off Deer Park Road. Usually when I've tied the three parks together, I start at Mooch North. But, starting at school for DP is fine too. Except, if starting from school, when you get to the T I'd go right so you can do a good loop of DP before going down Rogue to get to SSP (a short road ride to Kinney). Once in SSP you can do a good loop and eventually get to the trail that goes under 80 and plops you on Continental Drive. From there, ride a little road to Waterloo Sussex Branch park and ride to hook up with Allamuchy North. I think the one drawback from leaving North as last is you really need to ride Candy Ass to get you back to rt 517 for a short road ride back to the school, I might be wrong. That's a tough trail to leave for last after 35+ miles.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You don’t have to ride Candy Ass to get out. White or Cardiac (Purple) will take you down to Orange which will put you down by that small dirt lot closest to the town of Allamuchy.

That being said, wrapping up Allamuchy with Candy Ass to Purple to Orange is a baller exit of the park.

Off The Road Again

You don’t have to ride Candy Ass to get out. White or Cardiac (Purple) will take you down to Orange which will put you down by that small dirt lot closest to the town of Allamuchy.

That being said, wrapping up Allamuchy with Candy Ass to Purple to Orange is a baller exit of the park.
Yes, because Cardiac sounds so much more inviting than Candy Ass, lol. But you're right - we rode the sweet downhill to the little dirt lot to avoid Candy Ass.

sneekyjesus

No not a local from far far away in Rockaway. Are you supposed to park in the school lot? Ride through their lawn and then go through the road that says private? The trail was pretty fun but I don't know what you do their during the school year. How hards the climb coming from Waterloo Road?

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No not a local from far far away in Rockaway. Are you supposed to park in the school lot? Ride through their lawn and then go through the road that says private? The trail was pretty fun but I don't know what you do their during the school year. How hards the climb coming from Waterloo Road?

Although physically connected, the school is adjacent to Rutherford Hall; the school is on the right and Rutherford Hall is on the left (from Rt 517 looking at the building).

That being said, it is 100% ok to park at either Rutherford Hall OR the school (weekends/summer days) and ride to the IMBA built Rutherford Trail that starts on the left side of the building(s) and goes behind the lake towards the main part of the park.

The Orange trail from Waterloo Road up to Deer Park will help you determine that riding from Rutherford Hall/School is perfectly ok. That is a leg burner of a climb, but not impossible.

mtnbiker371

Rode there yesterday. Trails are in pretty good shape! Few muddy spots and not too overgrown. Rocks are still wet so it is slipper in some spots. But it was a great ride.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom